[Poll] Best Headphone's Under $200
Aug 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 270
How do you have lots of bass and a balanced sound?

If you want lots of bass, the 8400 will just make you sad.

Should add the DJ100 to the list since you have an E6.

It has slightly more than neutral bass and still managed to sound balanced (with an amp!).

DJ100 has much more bass than the 8400 IMO. Better extension than the SRH-840, but less mid-bass.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #19 of 270
Quote:
well all i have is the Fiio E6 amp.. will the Dt 770 pros 80 ohm version be an alternative because i've read the 770's and 990's are pretty similar

Personally, I think the DT770 Pro is very different compared to the DT990 Pro. DT990 Pro has a wider soundstage, more bass impact, less bass rumble, more treble flooding compared to DT770 Pro. In short, DT990 sounds cleaner, clearer, and wider compared to DT770 Pro.

Given the right equipments, the difference would be noticeable. If you are just outputting from something like an E6, the difference is less noticeable as the amp can't produce a clean sound by itself.

But neither of those headphones is balanced in my opinions. Both have greater emphasis on bass and treble, which means their midrange suffers in the process. That's what people call the V-shape sound signature.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend using them with a Fiio E6. It works, but it wouldn't be able to bring out their best.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #20 of 270
I guess ur right, but the Fiio E6 is all i can afford. I'm 16 and don't have a full time job so i don't earn much money. Which cans under $200 would you recommend that would work well with the E6 and have lots of bass (better then average) and still maintain overall balance.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #21 of 270
Quote:
I guess ur right, but the Fiio E6 is all i can afford. I'm 16 and don't have a full time job so i don't earn much money. Which cans under $200 would you recommend that would work well with the E6 and have lots of bass (better then average) and still maintain overall balance.

Shure 840's or ATH M50's are the closest to your description - they're reasonably well balanced in their sound signatures,
and have bass that's more than enough for most people.  If you want more bass, I'd say you're tending towards "basshead"
territory.  (There are headphones for that, of course, but if you start with those you can throw "overall balance" out the window._

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #27 of 270
It turns out that you should be able to get sufficient volume out of a 250 ohm DT 990 with just an E6. See here.

The actual drivers on the DT 7/8/9 series are different for each level of resistance, so get the highest impedance version you can and enjoy it now. You'll get at least equivalent sound and much better comfort now and better scalability once you step up to something like the Fiio E10 or new Audinst HUD Mini.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 270
Out of the 3 headphones I tried on that list with your sources, I would have to go: Sennheiser HD 25-1 II > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm version) > Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.  If I had a desktop amp I would go: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro > Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.  I believe the best would be the Sennheiser HD-25 II for your source requirements based on what I've tried on that list, being that it's the easiest to drive of the 3.

Peace,
chewy45

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 270
please delete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back