Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 6, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #106 of 157
What JayB says is correct. Alot of people got AD700 as their first can and will obviously go to recommend them over the one they chose not to get. I don't think I would like the HD555 considering how little I like AD700 after trying my new cans, the DT770.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #107 of 157

Quote:
What JayB says is correct. Alot of people got AD700 as their first can and will obviously go to recommend them over the one they chose not to get. I don't think I would like the HD555 considering how little I like AD700 after trying my new cans, the DT770.

I figured that was the case, but still. . .

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #108 of 157
My AD700s are retired these days, but I still prefer them over the HD555. 

They are great cans, not the best I've had and not the best at that price point IMO, but they are so versatile and pleasurable in so many scenarios that they are just such a great choice. They also have the best soundstage under $100 these days and that is something special that no other headphone has touched for a long time.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #109 of 157

Quote:

They are great cans, not the best I've had and not the best at that price point IMO, but they are so versatile and pleasurable in so many scenarios that they are just such a great choice. They also have the best soundstage under $100 these days and that is something special that no other headphone has touched for a long time.

x2

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #110 of 157

Quote:

Hopefully mine will be here soon. . .daggum Amazon "super saver" shipping. . .you never know when it will come.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #111 of 157
I know what you mean, but once I became somewhat of a regular shopper there for a short while, super-saver shipping got quicker. =D

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #112 of 157

Quote:
I know what you mean, but once I became somewhat of a regular shopper there for a short while, super-saver shipping got quicker. =D

It gets shipped out quickly, it's just that it is coming from entire other side of the country, thus taking forever and tracking never updates until after it is finally here. .   (-_-)  By my estimates they should be here tomorrow hopefully (that's based on my previous purchases of headphones and hd dvd's).

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #113 of 157
Speaking of these two particular headphones, has anyone ever used either of them to directly listen to records?  I would, but my old receiver/amp as burnt itself out. 
frown.gif
  Just curious how either of them sounds (good or bad) with that kind of source.  

As a side note. . .does anyone know where to possibly find parts for an old Harman Kardon HK680i receiver?  I just need another phono power supply PCB board to replace this fried one (literally fried, extra crispy, charcoal. . .you get the picture).  Other than that, the thing is in mint condition. . . 
frown.gif
 (again)

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #114 of 157
Quote:

I now have in my possession the AD700's.  After testing them thoroughly with games, music, movies, and even TV. . .I just find them overall inferior to the HD555's.  Yes, the AD700's have a larger sound stage "volume" wise (as in physical volume in size), but are much less personal.  Music is less engaging, but in games they are "OK".  To compare the two for gaming audio, I would say both have a sound stage present and both do well at locating a sound around you in 360 degrees.  I might give a slight advantage to the AD700's here with the HD555's being around 90% of the AD700's.  Both lack the depth aspect of the sound stage though, which it seems is only present on higher end headphones.  

On the HD555's everything sounds to me where it should be on your person, meaning when you fire and load your gun, it sounds immediately in front of you, but with the AD700's those actions almost sound away from me, not immediately in front of me (almost on both sides of me).  This, to me, is very unrealistic. . .to me, the best way to put this (for you to try at home). . .

Read my full review here.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #115 of 157
I won't read it just because you don't agree with me! Just kidding, I almost knew you wouldn't like them. Something to remember, when you purchase headphones and use them for a while, and then purchase their direct competitor's very similar model, 9/10 times you will prefer yours to the others. You're used to what you have and don't like change. Let's admit it, we are all like this.  What you mentioned about the AD700 is true, things sound maybe farther away, however you would grow used to this. Like I stated, I don't use my AD700 anymore because they lack immersion.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #116 of 157

Quote:
I won't read it just because you don't agree with me! Just kidding, I almost knew you wouldn't like them. Something to remember, when you purchase headphones and use them for a while, and then purchase their direct competitor's very similar model, 9/10 times you will prefer yours to the others. You're used to what you have and don't like change. Let's admit it, we are all like this.  What you mentioned about the AD700 is true, things sound maybe farther away, however you would grow used to this. Like I stated, I don't use my AD700 anymore because they lack immersion.

I disagree. . .my friend which has not heard either one. . .without me saying a single word as to which one I prefer. . .said similar things and chose the HD555 as a clear favorite.  That is a blind test, with out him used to either one.  Also, my friend Tigerhawk felt the same as me with these headphones.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #117 of 157

Quote:

That really wasn't the case regarding our opinions of the AD700s.  For music, 9 out of 10 times, the HD555's audio presentation is hands down better than the AD700s, and that is especially evident if you do a thorough comparison, quickly back and forth.  I can completely understand a persons positive opinion of the AD700s soundstage regarding games, but overall there are too many negatives that go along with the AD700s positives (though this opinion for games may slightly be based on personal preference).  Again, I'll admit that I do give it some credit for gaming.  The AD700s lack much needed bass, and offer a somewhat detached and unrealistic presentation of audio for sounds that are meant to be right near you.  Most all music becomes boring, distant, and detached.

For someone to make a statement as: "the AD700s are 10,000x better than HD555", "hands down beat HD555", etc etc. should be punishable.... well JK about that part, but still.  Along with the audio comparisons, the AD700s comfort was pretty good, but overall the headphones wanted to move and slip around.  I could hardly look down and not have the headphones feel like they were going to fall off my head.  You also look like an idiot wearing these things..  Also take note, this is coming from someone that is not currently using HD555s.  I would have to rate the AD700s as one of the most over-hyped products I've experienced, that did not deliver.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #118 of 157
I was under the impression this thread was directed towards gaming, at which point I'm sure thousands would agree the AD700 exceed the HD555. Of course they lack bass. You don't need bass to tell where players are. Of course they produce distant sounds, they aren't immersive cans. These things are gritty and hardcore gaming friendly cans. Positioning is there, distance and sound stage is there, highs are pronounced for things like gunshots and footsteps to be heard easily, and bass is recessed so you can still hear the battlefield during explosions. In this case, speaking in terms of purely competitive gaming the AD700 is completely incredible, and in my opinion, dominates the HD555. I don't know if I ever once mentioned music... I don't like listening to music unless it's via one of my other higher end cans. Movies? AD700 are a joke for that category.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #119 of 157

Quote:
I was under the impression this thread was directed towards gaming, at which point I'm sure thousands would agree the AD700 exceed the HD555. Of course they lack bass. You don't need bass to tell where players are. Of course they produce distant sounds, they aren't immersive cans. These things are gritty and hardcore gaming friendly cans. Positioning is there, distance and sound stage is there, highs are pronounced for things like gunshots and footsteps to be heard easily, and bass is recessed so you can still hear the battlefield during explosions. In this case, speaking in terms of purely competitive gaming the AD700 is completely incredible, and in my opinion, dominates the HD555. I don't know if I ever once mentioned music... I don't like listening to music unless it's via one of my other higher end cans. Movies? AD700 are a joke for that category.

This. I'm not referring to this just for AD700 vs. 555, but AD700 vs ANYTHING. To be honest, I HATE the AD700 for practically EVERYTHING. I do however swear by them for multiplayer gaming, for exactly the same reasons dub Beatz mentioned. The lack of bass HELPS tremendously in competetive gaming, and their exquisite positioning truly make them worthy hardcore gaming cans. People don't seem to understand on here that for competitive gaming, you want to focus on the little things, and not the entire picture. I have no doubt the 555s probably sound better overall. But for gaming exclusively, the AD700s focus on the most important things.

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I'm not just good at competetive gaming. I'm effing GREAT. I'm not gonna be humble about it. I destroy in multiplayer gaming. As a hardcore gamer, the AD700s did everything necessary for me to utilize my skills to their fullest.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #120 of 157

Quote:

This. I'm not referring to this just for AD700 vs. 555, but AD700 vs ANYTHING. To be honest, I HATE the AD700 for practically EVERYTHING. I do however swear by them for multiplayer gaming, for exactly the same reasons dub Beatz mentioned. The lack of bass HELPS tremendously in competetive gaming, and their exquisite positioning truly make them worthy hardcore gaming cans. People don't seem to understand on here that for competitive gaming, you want to focus on the little things, and not the entire picture. I have no doubt the 555s probably sound better overall. But for gaming exclusively, the AD700s focus on the most important things.

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I'm not just good at competetive gaming. I'm effing GREAT. I'm not gonna be humble about it. I destroy in multiplayer gaming. As a hardcore gamer, the AD700s did everything necessary for me to utilize my skills to their fullest.

X=TREME!!!1!1!!!11!!!!111!!

iM going to get teh ad700s cuz im am a pwnzor in fps gamez. im so good every1 accuses me of cheating. hopefuly these will just make me gooder. i own all console period!

thnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back