Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #91 of 157
MS-1 and don't bother looking back.
gs1000.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #92 of 157
MS-1s ok without an amp? I'm probably going to invest in the Fiio E7. Until then all I got is my soundcard, X-Fi Forte.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #93 of 157
Quote:
Maybe. I'm trying to find a good deal on some Hfi780s, but the reason I was looking for a pair of Grados is because currently the only amp I have is the small one that's part of my X-fi Forte... Lol don't laugh at me. I wouldn't be able to properly drive some high enders. Also I love my DT770/80s for closed cans regarding my genres. I just wanted to try the Grados out and see how well they do with my alternative and newer rock collection, but didn't know if I should get the MS1s or SR60 / 80

get the grado's if you want the in-your-face rock sound, the MS1 are a little more well rounded... i've actually been really suprised with the amount of bass in the MS1.

either sr80 or ms1 are powered just fine by portable devices... if you stretched your budget just a little, you could pick up my MS2i's :)

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #95 of 157
Ok, please don't get annoyed but I have one more question regarding your post. Does this mean the MS1 has more bass than say Sr60/80? OR would you stating that they didn't LOSE too much of their bass from the SR60/80. Thanks for bearing with me big guy :D

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #96 of 157
i mean they're more suited for some electronic and hip hop use, while still being a great rock can. the sr80 is going to be a little more in your face for rock and metal, and a little less suited for hip hop and/or electronic, etc.

so personally i think there is more bass with the ms1, but i think it's probably a little muddier, where the sr80 has cleaner, tighter bass that isn't as present.

Quote:
dub Beatz said:

MS-1s ok without an amp? I'm probably going to invest in the Fiio E7. Until then all I got is my soundcard, X-Fi Forte.

i run them off my droid and my laptop, actually, i never use them connected to my bravo or my HT receiver... they're my quasi-on the go cans.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #97 of 157

Quote:
Now I disagree with you. It's very easy to tell how well a recording mastered and some venues sound terrible for live gigs and I would like a different presentation. You trust sound engineers way too much when they have totally different agendas. Unless it's classical or jazz which get little to no radio play, they go for maximum volume and compression. Listen to ACDC Back in Black and then listen to any current rock group's CD. There are almost zero dynamics in the current CD. Thank god they make Grados to compensate for bad recordings.

Well, I guess if you believe Grados are a cure for anything, including bad recordings, then we're unlikely to agree about anything.

And yes, I have owned Grado headphones---for about twenty minutes.  

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #98 of 157
Ok, it looks like the MS1 suit me better considering roughly 5% of my music includes rock. Hey, and if worst comes to worst and I don't like them, I can just sell / swap / return for SR60s or SR80d whichever I decide at hat point.  Good amount of jazz and alternative btw, but mostly hip hop.

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #99 of 157
Maybe you should consider bassy, closed back cans? I think you might have options that better suit your music preferences than open-back AT's and Grados/Alessandros.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #100 of 157
Wow. . .this thread seriously got derailed. . .lmao.

So to get back on it. . . HD555 > AD700  
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #101 of 157

Quote:
I wonder how many people who will vote have heard both. I voted for the AD700 and have compared both side by side.  The AD700 has more detail and clarity, better separation and soundstage, and fast and tight bass (instead of the slow wooly bass of the HD555). They are also more fun and energetic sounding and are more comfortable imo.

This is pretty much my sentiment on these two cans.

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #102 of 157
We've already decided which are better. Hell look at the polls. Anyways, I already have a pair of closed back cans that suit my music preference. Look at my signature, I've got two of them. I don't use AD700s anymore. I wanted a pair of MS1s to try the Grado hype everyone has been raving about and according to my research the MS1s would be better than Grado's entry level headphones.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #103 of 157

Quote:
We've already decided which are better. Hell look at the polls. Anyways, I already have a pair of closed back cans that suit my music preference. Look at my signature, I've got two of them. I don't use AD700s anymore. I wanted a pair of MS1s to try the Grado hype everyone has been raving about and according to my research the MS1s would be better than Grado's entry level headphones.

OIC

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #104 of 157
I must say though in all honesty. . .this thread has really got me anxious (a little more so everyday) to finally get the AD700's to hear for myself.  I honestly never would have thought it would be over 3 to 1 favorite.  I remember seeing a poll back just after December (actually it was like my said thread).  I was debating then between these two headphones and the poll back then had AD700's winning also, but not by very much (was basically 50/50 I believe).  The main reason that swayed me to get the 555's then was the fact that my friend already had them, I had heard them, and I knew I would like them.  I was anxious anyways, as with any new item I order, for it to get here finally, but this thread has really got me wanting to try them badly.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #105 of 157
AD700 is definately the more popular phone. I doubt evertyone who voted has heard both and are either going on word of mouth or just voting for the phone they have.  It would be interesting to see the results if everyone who voted has compared them side by side. All I have to say about the HD555 is that they were more neutral from what I remember (though leaning toward the warm/dark side of neutral imo).  The AD700 is brighter than neutral, but it is more "fun" to listen to. The bass is much faster and its soundstage wasn't a big blob like the HD555 (the separation is better). I guess the HD555 would be preferable from a neutrality standpoint while the AD700 is better technically (bass quality, separation, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back