Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #121 of 157
And that's relevant to all of this, how? I can do good with all decent headphone, probably including the 555/595s. My point is, that the AD700s cater to my (and many others) competitive gaming needs more than other headphones.

There's been quite a resounding amount of people on this thread that HAVE heard both, and pick the AD700s. People act like the 555s are secretly the David to the AD700's Goliath.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #122 of 157

[size=medium]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This. I'm not referring to this just for AD700 vs. 555, but AD700 vs ANYTHING. To be honest, I HATE the AD700 for practically EVERYTHING. I do however swear by them for multiplayer gaming, for exactly the same reasons dub Beatz mentioned. The lack of bass HELPS tremendously in competetive gaming, and their exquisite positioning truly make them worthy hardcore gaming cans. People don't seem to understand on here that for competitive gaming, you want to focus on the little things, and not the entire picture. I have no doubt the 555s probably sound better overall. But for gaming exclusively, the AD700s focus on the most important things.

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I'm not just good at competetive gaming. I'm effing GREAT. I'm not gonna be humble about it. I destroy in multiplayer gaming. As a hardcore gamer, the AD700s did everything necessary for me to utilize my skills to their fullest.

If I wasn't so poor I might buy you this shirt. . .

http://rlv.zcache.com/elitist_tshirt-p235588829147380670t53h_400.jpg
[/size]

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #124 of 157

Quote:

For someone to make a statement as: "the AD700s are 10,000x better than HD555", "hands down beat HD555", etc etc. should be punishable....

Yes, and I can think of many delightful punishments, most adapted from the methods of the early American Indians. 
evil_smiley.gif

Personally I think the AD700 is a joke with music. I have no comment on its gaming ability, but this is Head-Fi, which suggests we're talking about music. When people make statements about the 700 blowing the 555 away and they mean on gaming they should be clear about that, because otherwise a lot of people are left scratching their heads. Many moons ago I bought a 700 based on all the hype and could not believe how bad they sounded---I mean, I just couldn't take them seriously at all, especially on classical music. Since then I've read numerous threads about how much better the 700 is over the 555 and wondered if I should get my ears checked. I'm still wondering, because those people were not talking about gaming but music. One poster even stated that the 595 is "just no good on music". Eh? Isn't this the phone that won the Hi-Fi Choice "Best Headphone Under £200" award? I appreciate that we all hear things differently, but surely not THAT differently, even given the vast difference in music choice.

Does it matter that there's so little consensus? Only that it undermines Head-Fi's credibility as a reference source and causes people to make choices based on a possibly false assumption--i.e, that the posters at Head-Fi don't have tin ears.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #126 of 157
I don't see why so many people insist they're awful for music. I didn't find them "awful." I can list plenty of other more expensive and of course less expensive cans that can be described as "awful" for music, but not particularly the AD700. They have their genres, just like every other pair of headphones. I wouldn't suggest Grados for electronic, nor would I suggest D2000 for classical.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #127 of 157
Well, if you are going to complain about people saying the HD595 are no good for music, then you shouldn't be saying the AD700 is a joke for music, it goes both ways.

There will never be a consensus because people have different tastes, and more insidiously can perceive sound in very different ways. HeadFi is still a useful place because we can still get feedback and be informed about what's out there and how things generally sound to most people.

Personally I love the AD700 for music. But it has characteristics which are the complete opposite of the HD595. Thus I'm not surprised at all that people can be polarized between the two.
Quote:
Personally I think the AD700 is a joke with music.

Many moons ago I bought a 700 based on all the hype and could not believe how bad they sounded---I mean, I just couldn't take them seriously at all

One poster even stated that the 595 is "just no good on music". Eh? Isn't this the phone that won the Hi-Fi Choice "Best Headphone Under £200" award? I appreciate that we all hear things differently, but surely not THAT differently, even given the vast difference in music choice.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #128 of 157

Quote:
Well, if you are going to complain about people saying the HD595 are no good for music, then you shouldn't be saying the AD700 is a joke for music, it goes both ways.

There will never be a consensus because people have different tastes, and more insidiously can perceive sound in very different ways. HeadFi is still a useful place because we can still get feedback and be informed about what's out there and how things generally sound to most people.

Personally I love the AD700 for music. But it has characteristics which are the complete opposite of the HD595. Thus I'm not surprised at all that people can be polarized between the two.

I think part of the problem is that people fail to realize the meaning of Hi-Fi--"fidelity to the original". When I say the ad700 was a joke with music, I mean that it in no way resembled the sounds I hear in the concert hall, as the 555/595 do. The balance was completely different; there seems to have been no serious attempt at fidelity (they're way too bright for a start). Now people talk about "fun" phones, and the ad700 is often so classified, but I'm interested in accuracy; I judge phones solely on their success in recreating the impression of live music. So you may find the ad700 titillates, excites, makes you want to groove to the beat...whatever. It may be immensely enjoyable, and even be slightly more accurate or extended in certain defined areas. But if it's less accurate than the 555 overall, and it is--and I would gladly demonstrate that were it possible--then it isn't "better".

One thing I would certainly agree with you on--that the ad700 has characteristics which are the complete opposite of the 595!

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #129 of 157
Different strokes for different folks. We neglect to remember that regardless of whats on paper, anything dealing with sensory functions is ALWAYS subjective because everyone's auditory perception is different.

With that being said does the all around performance of the 555s justify the higher price tag?

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #130 of 157

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. We neglect to remember that regardless of whats on paper, anything dealing with sensory functions is ALWAYS subjective because everyone's auditory perception is different.

With that being said does the all around performance of the 555s justify the higher price tag?

In my opinion it does not. I prefer the MS-1, AD700, or DT440 to the HD555.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #131 of 157
I know!
frown.gif
I keep buying all these headphones, and yet the sound sig of the AD700s have remained my fave (aside from the K701) for gaming, period.

Quote:
you're such an elitist! you've had 20 cans in the past 6 months and the ones you praise the most are almost the very cheapest of the bunch.
deadhorse.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #132 of 157

Quote:
... many people have sennheiser so far up their butt they're afraid to even fathom that something else costing less could be better.

Sennheiser is overrated.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm finding myself enjoying my dynamat-laden MDR-7509HD more enjoyable for gaming than AD700 lately. Only tested with HL2 and my sis' Wii so far, will do Day of Defeat: Source next. </off-topic>

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #133 of 157
xD

So what do you think of them then if your DT770 is your fun can? Just curious.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #135 of 157
@ dub Beatz:
I can agree with that.
I scarcely use mine, I'll admit, but I still love their sound-signature.

@ xformulax:
Exactly why I will try it out in DoD:S later when I feel like playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back