[PLEASE vote] AUDEZ'E LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Sennheiser HD 800 (vs. AUDEZ'E LCD-3)
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #121 of 193
There are unavoidable problems with a poll like this. Some value though, see comment 3 below.

1. Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and Audez'e flagships are all present. But the Audez'e's no 2 and no 3 ranked phones are included too, splitting the vote
2. Put another way, a wider net has been cast for Audez'e than the others. It's slightly interesting Audez'e as a brand has the same number of votes today as the T1
3. Variables such as DAC, amp, source material and listening preferences and attributes are uncontrolled. If we assume it is not always possible to pair the 'right' gear with each headphone, then the 'winner' will be the phone that pairs most inoffensively with gear of varying quality. ATM this seems to be the T1
4. Other variables are cost (how easy is it to buy - obviously this has varied with recent economic change), cost proximity (if one can afford a T1 at about $1300, one might step up to an HD800 at $1500 whereas an LCD3 is still out of reach), how long each has been in the market, and how much "band-wagon" momentum developed and for how long. 

The significance of points 3 and 4 above is that to compare the number or % of votes, the figures first need to be 'standardized'. However, developing a good model to do this isn't simple - e.g. cost proximity, how time of release to the market interacted with discretionary funds, time of release in relation to competing headphones and so on.

An alternative way of judging satisfaction is the proportion of owners who have kept each phone. Luckily, head-fi provides the figures we need. That said, an uncontrolled factor here is "how long have they owned it?". I'll ignore this for the moment.

Although not every head-fier registers every piece of equipment they own, I'll assume no one brand-owner is more or less likely to register their phone than owners of another brand. This being so, and based on today's own it (O) versus had it (H) figures, a crude index of satisfaction (expressed as a percentage, hence x 100) is:

satisfaction = 100 x O / (O+H)

Model Own it Own it + Had it Satisfaction (%)
T1
136​
165​
82.4​
HD800
235​
268​
87.7​
LCD2 (combined r2 and not differentiated)
314​
351​
89.5​
LCD3
27​
31​
87.1​

This is imperfect for being just as subject to uncontrolled factors as the poll. On the plus side, the overall sample is larger; n=815 compared to today's poll count of 224. This sample has a much better margin of error than the poll. These margins range from + or - 5.3% (the LCD2) to 7.8% (T1).

These margins mean - for example - we can be 95% confident the LCD2's 'true' satisfaction figure lies somewhere (we have no way of knowing where!) between 84.2 and 94.8%. Notice then that the HD800, LCD2 and LCD3 cannot be separated. Indeed, the T1's true 'I still own it' satisfaction rating could be as high as 90.2%. The T1 is still in the running for 'best' phone - but see the bit in bold below.

The LCD3 sample is too small statistically for worthwhile comparison: margin of error + or - 18%.

The fact there are more LCD2 owners seems commensurate with it being the cheapest. The T1 has fewer owners than the more expensive HD800. This may be evidence indeed of it being closer to the HD800 in price, so head-fiers made the stretch.

The best summation of the above is that all four (five if you unbundle the LCD2) headphones are equally 'satisfying' - i.e. equally likely to be kept. Neither the poll nor the own-it versus had-it index can tell us which is best or worst.

ps: I have the T1 and LCD2. I have started to enjoy the T1 very much since I paired it with a Decware amp; however, the LCD2 is still 'much better'.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #122 of 193
LCD2r2 - I will probably be getting these very soon. The HD800s are just painful on my poor ears, maybe I'm too young for these? This was later confirmed by looking at the square waves on the HD800, my ears hurt from looking at them!

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #123 of 193
Some people are susceptible to bright sound signatures more than other's, in another thread part of a massive review by David Mahler, the HD800's can sound bright or warm, the amplifier plays a role as big as the headphones itself in a HD800 + amp combination. But I do agree the treble is a tad bit sizzly, the Anaxilus mod remedies this.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #124 of 193
Haven't heard a single one of them except the T1s. Best all rounder in my opinion compared to rest of the gear I have and had. 

Will be able to say much about the others once I get the flagship Sennheiser and Audeze hps. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #125 of 193
Interesting results and posts. Some humorous elements too, like Macedonia's 4 or more posts in this thread saying exactly the same thing over and over lol. After a huge bout of comparing so much audio equipment, I became a bit of a cynic of the industry, and actually had to put a halt on many reviews and comparisons I planned to do, but on to this subject at hand...

I've not tested the LCD-3s, but I'm continually surprised that the LCD-2s are held in such high regard. I sold my rev 2's off (bless the guy who bought them), but I have to be frank, whilst I liked them, I never for a second really felt they were quite in the same league as the T1's or HD800's. The sound stage just felt too intimate, and the bass too overpowering. It's quite a dark sounding can that just doesn't have the refinement of sound compared to the others, though it certainly makes for easy listening, if a bit congested.

I've also only ever spent a few hours with the HD800, but felt much more favourably towards it. I actually feel the T1 feels a bit more balanced with the HD800 offering a much wider sounding, but less smooth overall sig. T1 feels like a bit more of an all-rounder. But it boils down to music type and taste. T1 has those smooth mids and strong mid bass kick, not quite enough sub bass. By contrast the HD800 is a touch peakier with less bass impact but more sub bass. The huge sound stage of the HD800 also makes for very detailed listening, but on certain tracks it can feel a bit too open. I think I prefer the T1 overall for my main music genres, but I don't think it's cut and dry. I'd certainly be happy with either, though I couldn't see myself settling with an LCD-2 as my only can, the over bearing bass and darker sig, coupled with the more congested sound stage just takes away a layer of depth and detail I think the German cans lead it with.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #126 of 193
pretty interesting reading everyones take on these headphones. 

owning all 3 (T1, hd 800, lcd-2r2), i still think the T1 is my favorite. its just a great all rounder with a very good tonal balance.

the Hd 800 has more detail than the t1 but the midrange is more distant due to the wider soundstage. also the hd 800 treble seems to be harsher to me than that of the t1.  also the hd 800 is weaker on the bass.

the lcd-2 is always a small step below due to its thicker more forgiving nature, at the cost of detail and soundstage. my go-to headphone for electronic and rap though (along with the D7000 with its amazing sub-bass).

i enjoy all 3 but seem to have the T1's on my head the most.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #127 of 193
Quote:
Interesting results and posts. Some humorous elements too, like Macedonia's 4 or more posts in this thread saying exactly the same thing over and over lol. After a huge bout of comparing so much audio equipment, I became a bit of a cynic of the industry, and actually had to put a halt on many reviews and comparisons I planned to do, but on to this subject at hand...
I've not tested the LCD-3s, but I'm continually surprised that the LCD-2s are held in such high regard. I sold my rev 2's off (bless the guy who bought them), but I have to be frank, whilst I liked them, I never for a second really felt they were quite in the same league as the T1's or HD800's. The sound stage just felt too intimate, and the bass too overpowering. It's quite a dark sounding can that just doesn't have the refinement of sound compared to the others, though it certainly makes for easy listening, if a bit congested.
I've also only ever spent a few hours with the HD800, but felt much more favourably towards it. I actually feel the T1 feels a bit more balanced with the HD800 offering a much wider sounding, but less smooth overall sig. T1 feels like a bit more of an all-rounder. But it boils down to music type and taste. T1 has those smooth mids and strong mid bass kick, not quite enough sub bass. By contrast the HD800 is a touch peakier with less bass impact but more sub bass. The huge sound stage of the HD800 also makes for very detailed listening, but on certain tracks it can feel a bit too open. I think I prefer the T1 overall for my main music genres, but I don't think it's cut and dry. I'd certainly be happy with either, though I couldn't see myself settling with an LCD-2 as my only can, the over bearing bass and darker sig, coupled with the more congested sound stage just takes away a layer of depth and detail I think the German cans lead it with.

I own LCD-2r since may 2012 and I had the chance to listen shortly to HD-800 and T1 and for the last week, I had the chance to compare my LCD-2 to the LCD-3 (about 8 hours of comparaison).

First off, I did not like the HD800 and T1 at all. Way too thin for my listening tastes. Granted, I have used high quality subwoofers in my HT setup and in my car for the last 15 years or so. So I kind of like my sound slightly to significantly colored in the warm/bassy way. But still, I like good, clear and accurate sound so I have always tried to balanced my componants to be as flat as possible and not letting a driver overbear the others. It's not because I like big, accurate and impactfull bass that I don't like luxurious midrange and clear highs.

The LCD-3 are in my opinions the perfect headphones tonaly speaking. From top to bottom, I felt everything is there at his place. If I was a sound engineer who earns a living with mastering and mixing music, they will most probably be my choice. They are more refined, accurate and with more resolution than the LCD-2r2.

BUT, that beeing said, I am really sensitive to brightness and I love the incredible (colored) bass slam of the LCD-2r2 and their more relax sound. My music genres are mostly electronic music (trance, psytrance, house) and the LCD-2r2 are really outstanding with these genres. I know they are not as detailled as the T1, HD-800 and LCD-3 and they did suffer of a smaller soundstage but for me, they are the closer to perfect headphone to listened to. I prefer dark fun to ultimate accuracy.

I once saw a T-shirt promoting an underground electronic party. It was written **** treble this is bass fest! That at the time, make me laugh. I suppose that this meaning now applies to me to a certain degree!

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #128 of 193
Quote:

So I'll say it a fifth time...the LCD-2s and LCD-3s (and HD800s for that matter) are better to my ears than the T1s (both to my ears and technically speaking from a measurement perspective). 
tongue.gif
 And I'm a T1 fan (though I no longer own them 
wink.gif
). YMMV and that's cool.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #129 of 193
This is a very interesting thread.  Maybe a poll thread should be made with all Flagships.  To include these along with TH900, HE-6, W3000ANV,  D7000 maybe, and I guess a Ultrasone, not sure about a AKG headphone other than the K1000.  

I'm just saying...

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #131 of 193
I've been using both the T1 and the LCD-2 (just recently purchased) paired to a Meier Classic.
While I appreciate the detail and transparency of the T1's...its way to bright sounding.
The LCD-2 is far more musically balanced for the kind of music i like (mostly classical).

To be fair, I think the T1 would sound far better mated to a tube amp,
and the LCD-2 has the Cardas Clear cable upgrade.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #132 of 193
The T1s are the best all rounders due their excellent tonal balance so in a way it makes sense that it's leading the poll. Due to the fact I listen to a broad range of musical genres both the LCD-2s and HD800s are too tonally skewed for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back