please help me to choose IEMs for Hifiman 601
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

as1is

Head-Fier
Hello head-fi!   As per now I've got Hifiman 601  and UE 5pro. Unfortunately, both player and source have a little lack of highs and are a little too bass-heavy. Together, they provide too bassy sound. The music styles I listen to are quite different, it can be symphonic metal (Nightwish, Delain, Etc.), electronics (like Vangelis, Kitaro), New Age (Enigma, etc.) and lots others. Listening to some songs, I feel lack of vocals and guitars, while the drums are excessive. The other problem of the UEs if the uisability, it not wery comfortable to wear it, as for me.
I've read lots of threads and reviews, but unfortunately couldn't find the "next step" earphones. I"m not ready to pay over 250$, so the most Top-tier and custom phones are not for me. I've had other IEMs previously, and I've listened to all available in my city, but none of them seemes to be the significant improvement compared to UE 5 PROs. Currently I'm interested in TF10s.
Maybe someone could name some other interesting variants? Thanks in advance.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
not more than 300$ now. Maybe later I could afford more, for the phones that could fit perfectly...

In your initial  post you are saying "I"m not ready to pay over 250$,"  and now your budget is 300?
For under 300 you have lots of option:
I think Ortofon e-Q5, Ck10, DBa-02 are options to consider.

P.S.I like Symphonic metal myself, have you heard of Within temptation?

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 18
yello131,
I've forgotten that before buying new earphones, I can sell the ones I'm using currently, and receive addition to the budget
biggrin.gif

I've read, that they can be sibilant, these sounds are terrible as for me. Have you tried them on 601? , , kk?,    ,concerning the CK10, DBA-02, I've read, that they can be sibilant... Have you tried them on 601? 
I like Within Temptation, the fact that UE 5PROs can't play all the power of Sharon's woice is one of the reasons I look for other IEM.

DJGeorgeT,   the Etymotic ER4 are often told to provide not enough bass and possible sibilance, this won't go with "hard" music, for example the above mentioned symphonic metal.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
yello131,
I've forgotten that before buying new earphones, I can sell the ones I'm using currently, and receive addition to the budget
biggrin.gif

I've read, that they can be sibilant, these sounds are terrible as for me. Have you tried them on 601? , , kk?,    ,concerning the CK10, DBA-02, I've read, that they can be sibilant... Have you tried them on 601? 
I like Within Temptation, the fact that UE 5PROs can't play all the power of Sharon's woice is one of the reasons I look for other IEM.

DJGeorgeT,   the Etymotic ER4 are often told to provide not enough bass and possible sibilance, this won't go with "hard" music, for example the above mentioned symphonic metal.

No Ortofons e-Q5 are not sibilant at all...
where did you read about that?
I was just listening to Utopia and man with ortos Sharon voice is even more heartbreaking...
Another great option is Radius DDM, this are another Best buy IEM. Check them out..

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 18
That's an incorrect notion. The ER4S may sound sibilant with some sources. but in this case, it goes well with the HM-601/602 as it compensates the treble rolloff. Also, the HM601 can properly drive the ER4S.

Quote:

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 18
RE262, UM3x, SA6, E-Q7, SM3, GR10 and CK100...........

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 18
I have tried ER4S, ER4P, DBA-02, RE-262, GR8, TF10, SE530, and RE-0 on the 601, and my favorite match with the 601 is the DBA-02. It has the perfect sound signature for the 601, as its normally forward highs are brought in line by the laid back nature of the Hifiman.

Here is my ranking based on listening with the 601:
DBA-02>ER4S>ER4P>GR8>RE-0>RE-262>TF10> SE530

Other comments:
I liked the 262s off my desktop setup but the combination of them with the 601 was much to smooth and dark for my tastes.
The RE0s sounded better than I have ever heard them out of the 601
TF-10s sounded awful to me, it may be that the Hifiman has a higher output impedance than the average player and that threw off the crossovers, or I could just dislike the UEs
ER4S definitely could be driven by the 601, but it took high gain and relatively high volume to do it. 

Quote:
Zarim:
RE262, UM3x, SA6, E-Q7, SM3, GR10 and CK100...........

Have you heard these with the HM601? I just ask because I personally did not like the combo of the 262s and the 601, and would expect (based solely on reading impressions and speculation) that the SM3 and UM3x would be a bit too dark for the 601.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Unfortunately the DBA-02's are hard to find, the filters are not user replaceable. I would not even know where to go if they were damaged. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back