Please Help!! All audiophiles!!
Aug 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Boombastic88

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers!

I am very new in the audio world and I want very much to learn a lot about it. I eventually want to have my own headphone setup to listen to music to at home and I really need everybody's help. Basically all I know is that I need a good pair of headphones, an amp, and a music source but that's the extent of my knowledge. I know it's pretty low but my budget has to be 400 to 500 dollars because I'm not rich. So if anybody has any suggestions on which equipment I should get, PLEASE POST! Like I said, I have almost no experience with high-end audio so I'm open to suggestions. ALSO: I am thinking of buying the Beats by Dr. Dre Pro for christmas so if anyone wants to sell theirs for a decent price, I'm all ears.
dt880smile.png

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 30
I think you should list a few headphones that you might like from the looks or reviews of them, and then search for appreciation threads of fan clubs of the headphones you shortlisted and ask your questions there. Also, 400-500 isn't low.. not everyone's so well off :l

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 30
400-500 is a great startup budget.

One thing: next time please don't make a title like that. It's not against the rules or anything, but it's not really fair. Imagine if everyone would do that with every question. Just put details like "need help with first setup, around 400$"

About the Beats by Dre, the general consensus is that, for their price, you can get something much better, for every model they have. Maybe some Head-Fi'er has some and is willing to sell them, but I wouldn't put much hope into it. Anywa, you should check the For Sale/Trade section.

if you plan on using this in your home only, I would suggest an amp/DAC like the Fiio E7 coupled with a Fiio E9 and maybe something along the Beyerdynamic DT headphones. I can't be very specific, and people with better ideas will probably come along. I'm also assuming you have a computer for yourself to use as a source since, well, you posted here...

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 30
Yes!! A DT880/250Ohm, and a Audio-GD Sparrow. That's a nice start right there and right around $400 too! If you want a bass heavy headphone then the DT990/250Ohm is the way to go.

Quote:
Try getting a Beyerdynamic headphone paired with a nice DAC/AMP. The amp depends on which model you pick though.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 30
 I can vouch for the E9/E7. It's handy cause it can serve you as a portable and desktop setup. Beyers are GREAT cans and I'll cast in a vote for those too. Beats, I wouldn't go for, unless you're stye concious over sound matters. Just thought I'd throw in you can get some nice Grados for the price, but lot's of the time time around here it's a bit of a love/hate thing. I'd suggest trying before buying. Also, in your budget you could afford a nice pair of Sennheisers, maybe the HD598s or 595s? It all depends on what you like so, again, try to try them out before buying them. Also check out some reviews on here :)

And welcome to Head-fi! :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 30
Hey!

I just recently got into head fi as well. I can vouch for the dt880s, I love them :D I started by purchasing a pair of those and later on got a schiit valhalla amp a few weeks later. I'm saving up for a DAC right now. Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be a great start on an awesome hobby. Just start looking for some FLAC files now. :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Yes!! A DT880/250Ohm, and a Audio-GD Sparrow. That's a nice start right there and right around $400 too! If you want a bass heavy headphone then the DT990/350Ohm is the way to go.

x2  

DT990s have nice bass, I have an e7 and a meier corda headfive for amp and they really shine when amped, so if you want a more flat sound (no color in highs mids or lows) go get the DT880s, but if you feel like you need the bass then get the 990s...

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 30
Grados work well with pop/electronica? I thought that was more of a sub-bass genre, while Grados are a mid-bass headphone.

Also OP, with that budget you should have every aspect optimized. That is, if you get some 50$ headphones, you won't hear the difference much, but with 300-400$ headphones you will, so also try getting your music in FLAC files. And what do you use to listen to music? Windows Media Player sucks, iTunes isn't much better. You should try Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back