Playaz N1
Jun 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #377 of 506
Well, my 4 pairs arrived today, a speedy 4 days after purchase, thanks Thomas much appreciated.

Very brief thoughts so far, this is straight from the pack.

TD100 - nice mix of clear mids and highs with punchy bass
TM1PRO - bass MONSTERS!!!!! but very fun, strain reliefs are missing compared to the others
XR120PRO - very similar to the TD100 for me so far, little to choose without burn in
Nature Revolution XNR120PRO - I really like these, possibly placebo effect due to the wood but they do sound natural (lifelike), similar to the TD100 but slightly clearer with possibly more detail but a little less bass

Overall the 3 (other than TM1PRO) I would consider to be pretty bloody good in any company. They are absolutely amazing when you factor in the price. The TM1PRO, I'll probably use these more than I should, like when the mood takes and I fancy INSANE amounts of bass :)

Regarding the tips, I asked Thomas for some foamies, thanks again, but a bad choice on my part as they're the worst of the lot. However, Thomas did include 2 sets of double flange tips which are definately the best for me. So much so that I've chopped the stalks of the other medium silicons in half and have made my own doubles that work nearly as well.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #378 of 506

Quote:
[size=medium]
A lot of his phones look derivative. 
[/size]

Are these just really good knockoffs? Not saying it's a bad thing. Do any of the other models resemble established brand/models? Let's play name that copy.

TM1-Pro= regular Turbines? People seem to say they have larger, but more primitive bass than the TD100, and I recall that sort of comparison being made between the entry level Turbine and Copper.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #380 of 506
Jun 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #382 of 506
Got my TD100's today, sound wise; I wouldn't put these over my EQ'ed N1's but to be fair they have had 9 months of burn-in and these are just out the packet, so I'll give them a chance. But obvioulsy for 20 euros they're still spectacularly good.

They do feel a lot more sturdy and I don't have that diaphragm pressure change popping thing like the N1's so can see these being my new daily phones.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #383 of 506

Quote:
Hope OPERIA sounds better...

Thomas said that OPERIA are NOT made by him, don't bother with them! Just some random "fakes"

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #386 of 506

Quote:
Thomas said that OPERIA are NOT made by him, don't bother with them! Just some random "fakes"

Are any of them made, or even designed by him? I thought he rebranded models from a Japanese manufacturer. That's not meant to be disparaging in the least; a lot of good products go that route.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #387 of 506
Quote:
Are any of them made, or even designed by him? I thought he rebranded models from a Japanese manufacturer. That's not meant to be disparaging in the least; a lot of good products go that route.

I'm sure they're not from Japanese but from Chinese manufacturers. For example, at Kanen you can have your own branded earphones starting from  3000 pieces. You choose a body and have choice between several qualities of inner structures. Also you decide your own packaging ect.
Considering the price I don't believe the Playaz and X-Ears are made by Japanese manufacturer(-s).

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #389 of 506
Ah ok. I did a web search of Xears a couple days ago and I swear I found a Japanese company; can't recreate my findings so maybe I dreamed it. I hope Thomas does another sale when he releases his new stuff. My guess is the last sale was to get some in the hands of head-fiers quickly for word-of-mouth marketing. If so, this time I won't snooze.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #390 of 506
@miow
Personally I don't think so. Custom designs are way too expensive when not taken into mass production. Of course he can choose colors and specific brand elements like the 3.5mm jack and Y-splitter. To me it's likely that the housings and inner structures are from Chinese OEM's.

@HappyFi
I saw some eBay pages claiming they're Japanese, but I'm not convinced this is the truth. Especially given the price and the fact I recognize quite some housings from Chinese manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back