Playaz N1
Jun 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #361 of 506

Quote:
I have the meelec M6 (newer ones) and i prefer the N3 but i think it's more due to personal preference than pure sound quality. I find the M6 a bit too aggressive, at least to my ears. I prefer smoother IEMs. I can't seem to find a good listening volume with the M6, they are either too loud or too quiet. It's quite weird, they are very lively!

I will be receiving the TD100 soon so we'll see how they compare (i'm personally looking forward to comparing them to the RE0).

The M6ses are the most lively earphones i ever had. Very perky. Though vocals do take a backstage on them. Instruments are very prominent on the M6.

i dont think the TD100s are comparable to the RE0. Totally sound sig. TD100 and the m6 and the N3s are more of FUN earphones. Dont think they are analytical.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #362 of 506

Quote:
Sennheiser IE8 (220€):

Excelent mids

Good highs

Good bass (quantity - plenty)

Medium clarity

- HUGE soundstage

Playaz N3 Nature (25€ - promotional price):

Excelent mids

Excelent highs (better than IE8 - more detailed and sparkly)

Good bass (quantity - plenty)

Good clarity

- HUGE soundstage

At the end I've sold the IE8's. And no need to say I don't miss them.

And on top of that, the TD100 is even better? 

Even taking into account that others will likely have a different opinion, the fact that an experienced listener would claim a $30 IEM was equal or better than a $300 pair, and I didn't see anyone going out of their way to contradict you or say you were nuts.

Are premium priced IEMs facing extinction? Not because of Playaz; they aren't the first low cost 'phones to get noticed for an uncanny price:performance ratio. Meelec, Soundmagic... Has the level of engineering, design and tech that put $200+ headphones on their throne lost its exclusivity? Even tightening up the build quality would have something like the Playaz well under $100, it would seem. The big buzz around here recently seems to be surrounding IEMs in the sub $80 range.
(I'm posing this as an honest question, not making a claim, ha. I could be totally off base, plus I generally have no idea what I'm talking about).

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #363 of 506

[size=medium]

Quote:

The M6ses are the most lively earphones i ever had. Very perky. Though vocals do take a backstage on them. Instruments are very prominent on the M6.

i dont think the TD100s are comparable to the RE0. Totally sound sig. TD100 and the m6 and the N3s are more of FUN earphones. Dont think they are analytical.

They are indeed! Since the vocals take a backstage i tend to go up with the volume and then the loud instruments just "kill me" haha. Specially when listening to metal
We'll, thats a shame. I thought the TD100 would be closer to RE0 but with a little more bass. That's basically what i'm looking for. The N3 are really cool but they don't have nearly as much detail or transparency as the RE0. I love the RE0s sound signature and with a bit of EQ on the bass they are nearly perfect for me (i don't usually use EQ, just to overcome the "shortcomings" of some IEMs).
[/size]

Quote:

And on top of that, the TD100 is even better? 

Even taking into account that others will likely have a different opinion, the fact that an experienced listener would claim a $30 IEM was equal or better than a $300 pair, and I didn't see anyone going out of their way to contradict you or say you were nuts.

Are premium priced IEMs facing extinction? Not because of Playaz; they aren't the first low cost 'phones to get noticed for an uncanny price:performance ratio. Meelec, Soundmagic... Has the level of engineering, design and tech that put $200+ headphones on their throne lost its exclusivity? Even tightening up the build quality would have something like the Playaz well under $100, it would seem. The big buzz around here recently seems to be surrounding IEMs in the sub $80 range.
(I'm posing this as an honest question, not making a claim, ha. I could be totally off base, plus I generally have no idea what I'm talking about).

The pricier IEMs indeed have quite a nice competition ATM. I've never heard the IE8 but I have a hard time believing the N3 would be better. Either way, you have to factor in everything that make the IE8 the price they are. Build quality, accessories, packaging, brand recognition and reliability and so many other factors that make the IE8 a "premium" set of IEMs. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #364 of 506
Yes, TD100 are better. I would classify them like this:

Excelent mids
Excelent highs
- Very Good bass
- Very Good clarity
- HUGE soundstage

Better instrument separation, transparency, detail. Definitely other league. The best IEMs from Xears.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #365 of 506
Thomas mentioned new models being released in the next two weeks. The track record so far suggests maybe waiting to see what comes next is a good idea. edt: aaaand the prices just went back up to 2.5x the sale price as I was drafting an email to order. time to wait for meelec's release.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #366 of 506
I think someone on another forum just found one of the new models! looks damn sexy!!!!

On sale on ebay here (around 25$): http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYAZ-OPERIA-5570-EAR-HEADPHONE-highend-NEW-/110547983443?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bd2c5c53#ht_4579wt_1139

I'm trying to not just buy a pair, they look soooo pretty!

EDIT:
Aaannnnnddd, even more!

Playaz On Ear:

Playaz BEEBOY10:

Playaz Dimension PLD50:

Playaz NO Series N2 Communicate:

Playaz Supersonic PS1:

Playaz NSW Series N2 Communicate:

Xears Vibration XV100PRO:

WTH is going on!? 
basshead.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #370 of 506

Quote:
I don't believe Playaz OPERIA will beat Xears TD100's sound quality, but I would give them a try. :p Damn sexy IEMs.

Among one of the sexiest iems i've seen actually. I'm trying my best to not order them right away, i can't spend more money on this stuff now 
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #373 of 506
They are indeed very similar (or the same actually)

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #375 of 506

Quote:
A lot of his phones look derivative. The TD100 is a monster copper without the turbine blades. It seems he uses appropriate generic Chinese stock cases and builds selected drivers into them. As long as they look and sound good.

Indeed

I just received my TD100, here are my first impressions

The provided tips still are not very good, I used the Sennheiser double flange from my CX400-II

These fix one of the problems i had with the N3, their size! They were very uncomfortable to me. As you can see these are much smaller.

One of the other problems i had with the N3 was the driver flex, it was insane! I suppose it is fixed pretty much all the way on the TD100. Unfortunately mine came with the right phone defective and it has as much driver flex as the N3 (but it doesn't affect the sound as much). Only the right does that, the left practically doesnt have any. Since it doesn't seem to affect the actual sound i don't see a reason to return them and go through all the hassle.

In terms of sound these sound to me like a more refined version of the N3. The Bass is more controled, the mids and highs cleaner and a bit more detailed (probably because the bass doesn't bleed into them as much as in the N3). They have a very similar sound signatures with the TD100 not being as warm resulting in an increase in detail and natural reproduction of the mids and highs.
I am really enjoying listening to them, the mids and highs aren't on the level of the RE0 but for that i have the RE0 anyway. The bass is more present both in quantity and impact on the TD100, detail i would say is about the same between RE0 and TD100.
These are simply great for the low price.

The only problem i have untill now with Playaz/XEars is their quality control which seems a little hit and miss. The N3 came with the left side doing alot more driver flex than the right one (though both had alot...). The TD100 are the opposite, the right side has alot of driver flex while the left side has close to no driver flex (using them normally it doesn't bother me at all). The provided tips are still not good enough for me, they are similar to those i received with the N3 but with 2 pairs of black foams added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back