PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Jan 27, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #139 of 236
This is good to know as I think they'll be my next iem's, planar or otherwise. They were $50 on AliExpress for like 2 weeks. I knew I should've pulled the trigger.

Oh well I'll wait until the next sale
Nothing has the same drivers as the S12 since they are custom made for Letshuoer at that size. Trust me, I tried to get them.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #140 of 236
Sviga Nigtengale: unlistenable but also 15.3mm planar. Needs massive modding to be decent but achieves a high level of replay after that.
Kefine Klanar: 14.5mm planar, sounds like a large driver, WAY TOO MUCH PINNA GAIN, excellent stage, seperation, etc. Excellent bass
Kiwi Ears Melody: 12mm planar, sounds like a DD, bloated, stage isnt up to other planar standards, and it has too much high end above 10k.

None of these should ever be purchased if you want a good planar.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #141 of 236
Nothing has the same drivers as the S12 since they are custom made for Letshuoer at that size. Trust me, I tried to get them.
Oh no crap. I didn't know that they were custom made. Maybe if the S12 Pro goes on a good sale I'll pick that instead. Both planars are known to be good though so I don't think I can go wrong with either

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #142 of 236
That’s not what I read online.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #143 of 236
I received my first planar IEM, after seeing good reviews of the NiceHCK F1 Pro, I decided it would be a good cheap introduction into planar IEMs.

First impressions after a day, I was not prepared to hear such incredible bass out of these things. Listening to 2049 on the Blade Runner soundtrack is actually a scary experience with this sub bass! I had to turn the volume down in fear of hurting my eardrums. I'm used to open back headphones so the sub bass boost on the F1 Pro is something I don't hear very often. Tonally, they're a bit too bright and V-shaped for me so I used EQ, but they respond very well to EQ. They beat my Dunu Zen Pro in the sub bass department for sure. Detail is also amazing, super fast and clean. I think it's slightly more technical and detailed overall than the Kato. But the Kato has a few advantages such as smoother tonality and more natural mids, and they hit a bit harder with mid bass and dynamics. Soundstage and imaging however does sound better to me on the F1. These are incredible for $100, they definitely sound more expensive than that.

IMG_1958.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #144 of 236
Just got in the Shozy P20 today. Great sounding planar to my ears so far. Very balanced, nice big staging, with notable height / depth, and no harshness that I detect at this point. I'm driving with the excellent iBasso DC Elite.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #145 of 236
Just got in the Shozy P20 today. Great sounding planar to my ears so far. Very balanced, nice big staging, with notable height / depth, and no harshness that I detect at this point. I'm driving with the excellent iBasso DC Elite.
+1 Same great impressions with my P20!

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #148 of 236
Oh no crap. I didn't know that they were custom made. Maybe if the S12 Pro goes on a good sale I'll pick that instead. Both planars are known to be good though so I don't think I can go wrong with either
I'm sorry, I was wrong and I eat my foot. Since I made that post I made discoveries.. which are that there is no difference between the 14.2/14.3/14.8mm drivers. They are all identical with the exception that there are in fact 2 generations of that ONE driver.
My bad, Im sorry, I will do better.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #149 of 236
I'm sorry, I was wrong and I eat my foot. Since I made that post I made discoveries.. which are that there is no difference between the 14.2/14.3/14.8mm drivers. They are all identical with the exception that there are in fact 2 generations of that ONE driver.
My bad, Im sorry, I will do better.
Oh alright. Well it's nice of you to clear that up for me. 🙂 I still haven't bought my next planar yet, so I'm trying to soak up all the info that I can before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for clearing it up.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #150 of 236
If we are talking about pure planar IEMS (not those square planar/microplanar types, which are not legit planar tech in my book), then these are the ones I've tried/owned in alphabetical order:

7Hz Timeless
Audeze Euclid
Campfire Supermoon
DUNU Talos (in pure planar mode with BA deactivated)
Hidizs MP145
Kefine Klanar
Letshuoer S12 Pro
Letshuoer S15
Moondrop Stellaris
NiceHCK F1
Sivga Nightingale
Tangzu Zetian Wu
TinHIFI P1

The planar IEMs generally beat single DDs in technicalities, transients and even treble extension, though perhaps they don't move bass air/decay that well as single DD types. These planar IEMs may also not have not that accurate timbral accuracy, I guess it is cause of the lightning quick transients and rapid decay they bring to the table, so notes sound a bit truncated in delay.

But planar IEMs have come a long way since last year. It used to be considered an expensive exotic technology, but with economies of scale, we saw them drop below $100 USD.

I do think that planar IEMs are currently not the finished article, the tech is still evolving, but give it a few more months, I'm sure the technology will get more refined (and cheaper), which is always good for us in this hobby.
How does the Supermoon compare to S12 Pro and MP145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back