Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #136 of 305
I would like to add that the Elear (unlike the Utopia) is IMO nothing more than a failed attempt to emulate a HD650.

a_laugh.gif

Hilarities aside, has anyone got a comparison to share of the Monitor 5 and Shure SRH1540?

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #138 of 305
Spent time with the pioneers the other day and was really disappointed for such an expensive bit of kit. Music just seemed detached from vocals. Bass was overblown and there was little treble energy to get a bit of life and pace into the music. This was not a headphone for me. Next audition will be Aeons for me

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #139 of 305
I sold my 1540. It was well made and very comfortable but every time I put it on, I fell asleep. Very boring headphone, it does nothing wrong though.

You're not the first to describe the 1540 as boring, but it's not a sentiment I can relate to. How do they differ in their presentation across the spectrum?

Spent time with the pioneers the other day and was really disappointed for such an expensive bit of kit. Music just seemed detached from vocals. Bass was overblown and there was little treble energy to get a bit of life and pace into the music. This was not a headphone for me. Next audition will be Aeons for me

What closed headphones do you like? I'll have to try and hear the Monitor 5 for myself at some point, but from general feedback the AKG K872 is still top of my list.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #140 of 305
Any comparisons with the Focal Clear? Trying to find an analytical & airy complement to my smooth & bassy Sony MDR-Z1R. This being a closed back with the same 3.5mm connections makes this appealing. Would be driving it with the DX200 dap balanced.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #141 of 305
You're not the first to describe the 1540 as boring, but it's not a sentiment I can relate to. How do they differ in their presentation across the spectrum?

The mids are good on the shure, the bass doesn’t extend deep enough for me. The highs are clear but is not very extended. Soundstage is ok. It’s competent all around but just doesn’t stand out. Some people may like that. Also, they don’t respond well to eq.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #142 of 305
Any comparisons with the Focal Clear? Trying to find an analytical & airy complement to my smooth & bassy Sony MDR-Z1R. This being a closed back with the same 3.5mm connections makes this appealing. Would be driving it with the DX200 dap balanced.
If it's any help I have both the SE- Monitor 5 and Utopia. The Pioneer is warm, well balanced and mid range forward with detailed, slightly rolled of treble. In my opinion, it's more musical than analytical. If the Clear is anywhere close to the Utopia, it should be both analytical and musical.

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #143 of 305
I owned the Z1R and right after having to sell it I was able to pick up a new SE Monitor-5 due to the generosity of a friend. I love the SEM5 and feel it is exactly what you are describing. It has quite a bit going for it and it has made me miss my beloved Z1R less because it is very competent, super well made, comfortable and quite attractive. Pure bang for the buck the SEM5 would come out ahead, but they both do things differently. The Z1R is supremely musical, very powerful and articulate bass. The SEM5 certainly has enough bass, doesn't extend quite as deep as the Z1R (very few headphones can) but for those who find the Z1R a little restrained in the upper end the SEM5 is certainly not going to make them feel the same way. The SEM5 has more sparkle and air, but overall I feel it is well balanced and ultimately musical despite being brighter than the Z1R. I am a big fan of both and if I could own only one I would have the Z1R (if the money wasn't an issue) but to be fair the SEM5 is really very, very nice and given the significant price difference and the great sound signature, there is a lot to love with the SEM5.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #146 of 305
Will be selling my SEM 1 and SEM 5 shortly if anyone's interested.

This comes as a surprise AppleheadMay as you have been a big fan of the SEM 1, have you found a replacement headphone or are you listening to speakers instead? Anyway best of luck mate and thanks for contributing to this thread.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #147 of 305
Not much listening with headphones indeed, some more speaker listening, other hobbies. :)
Downsizing and selling all my non-Senns. My less expensive Senns will be a nice variety for the music listening I still do with phones and My HD800S will be great for surround which I am more interested in these days.
So I sold/am selling all my other phones as well as my amps.

Thinking of doing a very crazy price for the SEM1 and SEM5 together.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #148 of 305
Not much listening with headphones indeed, some more speaker listening, other hobbies. :)
Downsizing and selling all my non-Senns. My less expensive Senns will be a nice variety for the music listening I still do with phones and My HD800S will be great for surround which I am more interested in these days.
So I sold/am selling all my other phones as well as my amps.

Thinking of doing a very crazy price for the SEM1 and SEM5 together.

That makes sense - I have a realiser inbound sometime in the next couple of months so I kept my sen HD800 for that reason. Saying that the SEM 1 & realiser might be a sweet combo. Good luck with your sale and happy speaker listening!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #150 of 305
Heard these briefly today, around 20 mins so pinch of salt etc. I really liked them, they were well balanced with no obvious exaggeration, a good sign in my experience. They had the velour pads on, very comfy. The the shop assistant was willing to get leather ones but sods law I had a meeting after lunch.

Overall, very competitive with my SRH1540, think pioneer has it licked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back