Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,757 of 2,189
YW. I ran across it and I figured it just may be a pretty popular link :)

I'm so impressed with these I take them all over to show my audiophile friends along with the V30 phone i currently use to drive them (which it does quite well BTW). That said, the only thing *I* don't have it the original box, which would make transporting them much easier. Does anyone in the US have the box long stored away while they rest on a stand they could sell me (box) cheap? Or...probably more likely...has anyone found a good case that fits/protects them well (preferably with python cord still attached) for the same purpose?

Ah yes...I just realized the box storage would likely require removal of the main cable wouldn't it? That isn't the easiest connectors to attach--especially my particularly aluminum-upgraded MMCX posts.
Indeed, this is how I store mine: took a shipping box 12x14x10; from the thick, 2 inch foam cut the shape of the phone and made the lid out of the same foam as well. The foam came from an old mattress, btw - or you can buy them at any crafts store. I don't see the need to unhook the cable, just coil it around the phones. If I were to carry them around, I'd look into Jense tool cases.

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,760 of 2,189
That's a great bargain. Incredible headphones. Just listened a lot last night to the Cars in DSD on them. Sooooo nice.

Yes agreed, pretty good price. Just pulled the trigger, arriving in 10 day :dt880smile:.

Wonder if Pioneer have already gotten to 1000 units on this model? I haven't read page 47-100 of this thread so I don't know. If they haven't sold 1000 unit, it could be that they have produced 1000 units (or close) and are trying to unload them and start selling their next high end headphone product.

Buying this sight-unseen, fingers crossed, at least this is not something costing $4000 :ksc75smile:.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,762 of 2,189
Wonder if Pioneer have already gotten to 1000 units on this model?

They offered these at Massdrop, so there's no way only 1000 total were made.

By the way, Bestbuy and B&H at this time have matched Pioneers $1875 sale price...so if you have a BB rewards card (you'd have to add taxes though) lying around :)

They sound terrific even with a "lowely" LG V30 source, so I can just imagine a true headphone amp rig..

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,763 of 2,189
Does anyone have any track or entire album in particular they feel really shows off some aspect of the SEMs? Someone here mentioned Yello 'Baby' album and I have to agree it has some stunning tracks and sounds fantastic.

My current favorite is probably a new album by Toadface 'Bugs for Breakfast' and the tune "Courage" and "Chrome". The whole album is immaculately produced & will test clarity, spacial imaging, percussive detail and especially lowwwwwwww BASS. FInd it on a lossless streaming service like Tidal Hi-Fi and see what these extraordinary cans are really capable of.

Anyone have any to add?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,764 of 2,189
Any genre in particular you like or don't like?

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,766 of 2,189
Any genre in particular you like or don't like?

In this case, anything that sounds good on those headphones--well anything but classical genre. As for Toadhead...I'm far from a basshead/EDM/trip-hop connoisseur which is what that style would be described as...but I can't deny how utterly fantastic that album sounds on them.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,767 of 2,189
...very eclectic selection (classical music avoided) but there you go ;")

Melanie De Biasio - Lilies,
The Ripple Effect - Hybrids
Victor Deme - Victor Deme,
The Claypool Lennon Delirium - The Monolith Of Phobos,
Miles Davis - Agharta,
Vangelis - Rosetta,
Mogwai - Atomic,
Guy Garvey - Courting The Squall
Philip Sayce - One Foot in the Grave,
Mike Patton - Mondo Cane

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,768 of 2,189
I hope you enjoy them Den Sol

They offered these at Massdrop, so there's no way only 1000 total were made.

By the way, Bestbuy and B&H at this time have matched Pioneers $1875 sale price...so if you have a BB rewards card (you'd have to add taxes though) lying around :)

They sound terrific even with a "lowely" LG V30 source, so I can just imagine a true headphone amp rig..

I did order from Bestbuy, status is "shipped" but when checking more carefully, it is "waiting for UPS pickup" for more than a day now :triportsad:.

Listening to my Sennheiser HD6XX now. Found some difference between my HD6XX and Campfire Atlas IEM while listening to Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms album. I think HD6XX doesn't sound very engaging while the Atlas sounds more lively. I am hoping the SE1 would sound more like the Campfire Atlas.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,769 of 2,189
There's absolutely no comparison between the 6xx & the Pioneers...I know because I have both. The Sennheiser sound like they have a towel over them compared to the Pioneer. The higher resolution source you have the more they should impress.

I can't imagine Best Buy would have them locally in the shipping region but you'll eventually get them & see for yourself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back