Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jul 4, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #706 of 2,189
Cheers Duncan, I see where you're coming from.

I did not comment on the hd800s because I spent very little time with it at the shop. Between hd800s and the pioneer, they just seem to emphasize different parts of the mid / high range. The hd800s does perhaps sound a bit sibilant (much less than the stock hd800) while the pioneer may be brigther higher up.
The bass of the hd800s reminds me of the hd6x0, pioneer feels like it enters lower in frequency (but I wish it was tigther, at least out of the amps tried).

Arnaud

Thanks for your honest impressions Arnaud. You make a good point in your previous comment regarding your preferences. I can see you have the venerable stax in your profile too!

I can only give my impressions of the pioneers bass on the equipment I use Mirus DAC balanced into GSX MK2 balanced and this combination IMO is excellent. Bass is very tight and well integrated into the sound signature. I certainly wouldn't say the bass is over or under represented.

I think these headphones like the HD800 scale extremely well. So far I have had excellent results with above combo and single ended with my Grace M903 DAC amp combo. They also sounded very good out of the Sony PH3.

The Mirus GSX combo really nails it with good recordings I really feel satisfied and can't really fault the synergy between all components.

if you get the chance to demo them with a more refined DAC & balanced amp I would be interested to know what you think.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #707 of 2,189
For cables I'm using the stock cable and the pioneer balanced cable the JCA-XLR30M I'm very happy with Japanese headphone cables they seem extremely well made on the whole.
Oh and my s/n is 739

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #708 of 2,189
@Benny-x

You have the HE-6 as well right? Can you post some comparisons between the HE-6 and the SE-M1

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #709 of 2,189
  @Benny-x

You have the HE-6 as well right? Can you post some comparisons between the HE-6 and the SE-M1

No, I listened to them when I was getting my speaker amp, I planned on getting a pair, and I've got the HEK. As much as I'd like to convince my wife and myself otherwise, I don't have the extra hi-fi funds to grab a pair right now. 

And unfortunately when I was auditioning them and the HEK with my amp, all I did was focus on the different amps, so I couldn't even tell you what they were like from that besides "good" :p

I've got a short list of top shelfers and they're on it, just hope things go alright for the rest of the year and I can squeeze them in.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #710 of 2,189
Most definitely! Just read the thread, but about to go to sleep right now, will try to post something tomorrow or so. (Hint: It's good.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah would love to hear your thoughts as your taste in music seems very similar to mine based on the techno thread posts :) 

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #714 of 2,189
Missing my M1 buddies, watching the cobwebs blow their way through this thread...

FWIW, I've committed, and bought the license for HQPlayer as, with how I set it up (converting to DS rather than PCM), there was something missing when I took it out of the mix due to the trial expiring, so - fully fledged now :D

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #716 of 2,189

Just got it yesterday.  S/No. 301.   Still burning in, and already sound better than 20 hrs ago.   

Seems like quite a jump these past couple weeks, like 200% more SEM1 owners on here. 

Nothing new on my front, I've been testing a new amp with my HE1000 and the connection is balanced only, so SEM1 is taking a rest. I hope to make up some balanced cables for the SEM1 in the next month or two. Then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #717 of 2,189

Just got it yesterday.  S/No. 301.   Still burning in, and already sound better than 20 hrs ago.   
welcome to the family! The QP1R should be giving the M1s plenty of loving!

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #719 of 2,189
I'm continuing the burn-in, checking in occasionally, contemplating going balanced with a Violectric amp (I had the V200 once upon a time)...

Can't see myself wanting another hp for a long long while

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #720 of 2,189
I'm continuing the burn-in, checking in occasionally, contemplating going balanced with a Violectric amp (I had the V200 once upon a time)...

Can't see myself wanting another hp for a long long while
Likewise - it is a real shame that these aren't more readily available - for everyone to get a feel of how good an all rounder these really are!

(following on from the iPurifier thread, I've swapped my USB cables around, with the iFi driving the QED reference, and - I prefer it that way around than how I had it with the Audioquest... I'd have laughed at myself if I'd have said that two or three years ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back