Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #661 of 2,189
I find that with the comparison to my other phones, the Pioneer do an excellent job. I can clearly hear the difference in tubes I use, the changes in a circuit as it burns in and they do sound even better with then Whiplash Twau 8 braid cable. Very transparent with a solid bass foundation that seems to ride along with whatever is being fed to them. Great headphones for sure. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #662 of 2,189
I gave another try to these Pioneer yesterday.
- Tried them out of a pioneer network player headphone out (pretty good) and marantz dac/headamp (clearly a notch down)
- First store was noisy (yodobashi akiba), second one very quiet (dyna 5555 also in akiba)
- I used the HD650 (same 1/4in out of the amps) to compare and also played the HD800S briefly as well as HE1000
- All in all, I think the voicing is just not for me, I prefer the lack of sub-bass in the HD650 to the bass emphasis in the Pioneer
- In terms of mids, I find them too scooped out on the pioneer (again prefer the HD650 by a wide margin)
- The HE1000 sounded quite dull / sleepy in comparison but, somehow, I much prefer its voicing / tonality.
- The Pioneer sounds much more lively but I also clearly have a feeling of sound projection, I feel the driver presence and it's annoying as heck
- Having said that, depending on the songs, I would eventually get used to the pioneer and appreciate it so I guess, depending on your headphone history / taste, these might be all you ever cared for. On my end, it's just too far of my reference plane atm (not just technical accuracy but simply voicing I like)

cheers,
arnaud

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #663 of 2,189
arnaud, thank you for adding to the comparisons...

I look at it from the reverse angle, that I found (historically, I haven't had them for many years) the HD650 a bit bland, with that typical Sennheiser veil, a bit 'flat' which would explain the disparity you mention...

The one thing I'm interested in though, you mention the HD800 but didn't refer to it when drawing your conclusions - the reason I personally went for the Pioneers over the Sennheisers is that in comparison to the HD800S, the frequency extremes sounded more 'natural', less processed to me on the M1, with the HD800S having a sharp, metallic treble - I would like your take on the HD800 compared to the M1 :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #664 of 2,189
Cheers Duncan, I see where you're coming from.

I did not comment on the hd800s because I spent very little time with it at the shop. Between hd800s and the pioneer, they just seem to emphasize different parts of the mid / high range. The hd800s does perhaps sound a bit sibilant (much less than the stock hd800) while the pioneer may be brigther higher up.
The bass of the hd800s reminds me of the hd6x0, pioneer feels like it enters lower in frequency (but I wish it was tigther, at least out of the amps tried).

Arnaud

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #665 of 2,189

Would you be willing to share some impressions of the SEM1 vs HE-6 and the DX1000 please

Thanks

Hey man, well my DX1000s are in pieces right now because I started a mod on them to fix the headband and found out POST disassembly that I had misunderstood a part of it that was critical to it all going back together... It's not ruined, but is permanently out of service until I can rethink that part. Fun times.

SEM1 vs. JVC HP-DX1000 (from memory):
Bass on JVC used to go a bit deeper, which I mentioned before, but since then the SEM1s have relaxed(?) a bit and their bass is equally as deep.
Bass on the JVCs has nice impact and driver flex. You can fell the rumble and it's nice.

Bass texture and details on the SEM1 are better. It makes bass notes really come alive and have great feeling. Quite addicting when you get some nice funk on the go.

Mids are alright on both. Though they're not lacking on the SEM1, I do find them to have a somewhat unnatural "feel" to them compared to the rest of the presentation. The JVCs have kind of euphonic mids, they all sound nice. They're not as detailed as the SEM1s, but don't seem to be of lesser quality than the rest of what the headphones can do. 

Highs on the JVC are comfortable, but not too detailed and never fatiguing. The SEM1 highs are also never fatiguing, but contain SO MANY details. The information that's actually up there is impressive when you wear these and find out.

Imaging, as I found earlier in this thread it was called, on the SEM1s is absolutely amazing. The instrument separation, the details, the placement, the soundstage, all of it comes together so well that the imaging on these headphonse is the best I've heard. I've let a few friends and audio shop owners test out the SEM1s and every time they all have the same reaction regarding that one point. It's pretty impressive and damn does it ever put a smile on your face. That's a really, honestly, particularly special point about these headphones.

SEM1 vs. HEK:
I can't really say, haha.

Since buying the HEK I've listened to both quite a bit, done A/Bs, tested the headphones on different chains, and what not, but the whole time I was focusing on how different elements in the chain changed the presentation on the headphones, not how the headphones compared to each other. 

I can say that I really enjoy both of them, and I'd give the nod to vocals/mids on the HEK. Nothing trumps the imaging on the SEM1.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #666 of 2,189
I find the HD650, unless balanced, dull and veiled in comparison to the Pioneer. I have also found that the Pioneer need a lot of burn in. They were a disappointment at first and I thought I had made a mistake so I let them just sit and put them in the closet with a dap running for days. They evened out and sound much better and more balanced from lows to highs. I am using the micro Zotl 2 (7062 and 6SN7W tubes) as the amp with the Chord Hugo for the dac. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #667 of 2,189
Fantastic headphone amp jamato8  ,i have the same ,but  recently purchased the linear power supply add on. have been deeply considering these cans .Maybe one day i will be able to add my own impressions 

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #668 of 2,189
  Fantastic headphone amp jamato8  ,i have the same ,but  recently purchased the linear power supply add on. have been deeply considering these cans .Maybe one day i will be able to add my own impressions 

I have the Linear PS and the Mojo Audio V. Both good PS and make the most out of the amp. Listening to some live Neal Young, Unplugged, very layered and a nice 3D effect with the combination. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #670 of 2,189
   I find the HD650, unless balanced, dull and veiled in comparison to the Pioneer. I have also found that the Pioneer need a lot of burn in. They were a disappointment at first and I thought I had made a mistake so I let them just sit and put them in the closet with a dap running for days. They evened out and sound much better and more balanced from lows to highs. I am using the micro Zotl 2 (7062 and 6SN7W tubes) as the amp with the Chord Hugo for the dac.

I completely agree. While I like HD650 very much, they are indeed dull and sound congested in comparison with  SE1.

Comparing SE1 with DX1000 by memory, they are completely in different worlds to my ears. To me, DX1000 is great looking but that's about it. Boomy, loose, un-controlled bass, recessed highs and mediocre fit. Never regretted selling it (as with Fostex TH900 – a beauty to look at but I much prefer HD650 to both DX1000 and TH900).

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #671 of 2,189
  I completely agree. While I like HD650 very much, they are indeed dull and sound congested in comparison with  SE1.

Comparing SE1 with DX1000 by memory, they are completely in different worlds to my ears. To me, DX1000 is great looking but that's about it. Boomy, loose, un-controlled bass, recessed highs and mediocre fit. Never regretted selling it (as with Fostex TH900 – a beauty to look at but I much prefer HD650 to both DX1000 and TH900).

What didn't you like about the TH900?

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #673 of 2,189
Hence the statement that the M1 is kind of a half way house between the HD800S and TH900, to me - that is a damned impressive feat :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #674 of 2,189
Has anyone directly compared these to the HE-6 or Abyss?

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #675 of 2,189
I should have mine by the weekend 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back