Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 22, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #631 of 2,188
i guess not. fwiw, i much prefer the appearance of the se-m1 to the focal utopia. the use of carbon fibre in cans isn't to my taste.

Not fond of carbon either. Even though I prefer wooden cans it sort of has an industrial, machined look that works.
Wood doens't look that great on open cans IMO anyway.

I read about the Utopia earlier here this week on HF and searched what it was. 
Don't know where I came across some other impressions, here or elsewhere on the web, but sure read a really negative one.
Pretty much discared further searching after that, looked like the same story with many of the overpriced cans of late.
Guess it's the upteenth "tried to make a high end pair of cans and only got the price right" kind of story.
I believe it's their first attempt at high-end headphones? 4K right away...

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #632 of 2,188
check out the focal elear and utopia launch (with impressions) head-fi tv thread if you're interested in finding out more about the utopia. it contains a video by jude in which he speaks with a designer from focal. the results that the company's r&d effort has yielded are impressive.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #633 of 2,188

Not fond of carbon either. Even though I prefer wooden cans it sort of has an industrial, machined look that works.
Wood doens't look that great on open cans IMO anyway.

I read about the Utopia earlier here this week on HF and searched what it was. 
Don't know where I came across some other impressions, here or elsewhere on the web, but sure read a really negative one.
Pretty much discared further searching after that, looked like the same story with many of the overpriced cans of late.
Guess it's the upteenth "tried to make a high end pair of cans and only got the price right" kind of story.
I believe it's their first attempt at high-end headphones? 4K right away...

check out the focal elear and utopia launch (with impressions) head-fi tv thread if you're interested in finding out more about the utopia. it contains a video by jude in which he speaks with a designer from focal. the results that the company's r&d effort has yielded are impressive.

I'm not sure if he was referring to that thread/video or not, but I don't think that thread is a good reference for accurate reviews, It's like going to a "_____ appreciation thread" an expecting to see any type of informative, comparitive review with potentially some critiques. And the head-fi TV episode isn't as good as the first ones used to be. I liked the older material better, it seemed much truer to point, or rather now there's a new point...

Also, these SEM1s might as well be a limited edition, if they aren't in fact LEs. There's so few of the out there, so little feedback, and no marketing material here or otherwise, that this isn't likely to change. But I am SUPER pumped to own a pair 
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #634 of 2,188
Agreed, not that I look at them when they're on my head, but irrespective, the M1s are lookers :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #635 of 2,188
I'm not sure if he was referring to that thread/video or not, but I don't think that thread is a good reference for accurate reviews, It's like going to a "_____ appreciation thread" an expecting to see any type of informative, comparitive review with potentially some critiques. And the head-fi TV episode isn't as good as the first ones used to be. I liked the older material better, it seemed much truer to point, or rather now there's a new point...

Also, these SEM1s might as well be a limited edition, if they aren't in fact LEs. There's so few of the out there, so little feedback, and no marketing material here or otherwise, that this isn't likely to change. But I am SUPER pumped to own a pair :L3000:

i'm not suggesting that he should go there to find "accurate reviews" - whatever they are. i was just pointing him in the direction of a thread dedicated to the utopia at this site - seeing as he'd been looking around here.

there's a significant difference between a headphone "flying under the radar" and being a limited edition model. the se-m1 is looking more like the former rather than the latter to me - at least i hope it is anyways.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #636 of 2,188
I'm going to get these. I can't resist with all these great feedbacks. And I'm a fan of the lesser known models for some reason (hence my Metrum stack).  I can't afford the Utopia, so that doesn't bother me much. 
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #637 of 2,188
I'm going to get these. I can't resist with all these great feedbacks. And I'm a fan of the lesser known models for some reason (hence my Metrum stack).  I can't afford the Utopia, so that doesn't bother me much. :L3000:
I will say first of all, an advanced "welcome to the family!", and - secondly, they will sound a little 'tight' on first listen, but - give them a few hours to loosen up a bit, and - you'll be in sonic bliss...

I look forward to seeing your impressions in due course :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #638 of 2,188
i'm not suggesting that he should go there to find "accurate reviews" - whatever they are. i was just pointing him in the direction of a thread dedicated to the utopia at this site - seeing as he'd been looking around here.

there's a significant difference between a headphone "flying under the radar" and being a limited edition model. the se-m1 is looking more like the former rather than the latter to me - at least i hope it is anyways.

Thanks, I saw the thread and browsed it for a bit.
But as with many of these threads it starts of with raving and when the phones actually become available the negative impressions start to come in.
For that price I'd rather wait until I read some more down to earth reviews.

I read one raving review on the web that claimed these headphone were only bested by the Abyss.
Clearly that reviewer classifies headphones according to price as I did audition the Abyss on the McIntosh amp/Dac and the SQ was far, far below the M1.

For now, I'm more anxious to hear what my Black Widow will sound like. I'm getting it tonight! 
I have high expectations of it having heard impressions from other Zana users. If those are true it should be a real bargain amp.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #639 of 2,188
did you watch the video? i think it's worth a look for the info about the design of the utopia in particular. as for the thread itself, well it is what it is.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #641 of 2,188
did you watch the video? i think it's worth a look for the info about the design of the utopia in particular. as for the thread itself, well it is what it is.

Just watched it, long video and very good tip! 

Very intersting interview I must say, I'm impressed.
Indeed, it seems like Focal did the research on these phones. Totally different dynamic driver design from what the rest of the industry is doing, beryllium (what was used in the tweeters and midranges of Diatone's and Yamaha's greatest speakers from the eighties and probably in the upcoming NS-5000 speakers as well) and a well thought through headphone design (particularly the angle the speakers are aimed at IMO).
Though I still don't like the carbon looks I do understand their choice for real carbon to reduce the weight.

What was also very interseting to me were Jude's remarks on the Utopia vs. the Elear after the interview. Might I be one of the odd people (as usual) that would actually prefer the Elear to the Utopia? His description of the sonic differences sure makes me think so.

So, first of all I wonder what these are going to cost here in Europe since they are made right here. Converted from USD I come at 3550 Euro but it should be less since there's no import.
Second, I do need to audition those first. Would hate to have bought a 3k€+ headphone only to find out I don't like it or worse, to find out I like the 750€ version more. I hope I get a chance at that audition soon.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #642 of 2,188

Just watched it, long video and very good tip! 

Very intersting interview I must say, I'm impressed.
Indeed, it seems like Focal did the research on these phones. Totally different dynamic driver design from what the rest of the industry is doing, beryllium (what was used in the tweeters and midranges of Diatone's and Yamaha's greatest speakers from the eighties and probably in the upcoming NS-5000 speakers as well) and a well thought through headphone design (particularly the angle the speakers are aimed at IMO).
Though I still don't like the carbon looks I do understand their choice for real carbon to reduce the weight.

What was also very interseting to me were Jude's remarks on the Utopia vs. the Elear after the interview. Might I be one of the odd people (as usual) that would actually prefer the Elear to the Utopia? His description of the sonic differences sure makes me think so.

So, first of all I wonder what these are going to cost here in Europe since they are made right here. Converted from USD I come at 3550 Euro but it should be less since there's no import.
Second, I do need to audition those first. Would hate to have bought a 3k€+ headphone only to find out I don't like it or worse, to find out I like the 750€ version more. I hope I get a chance at that audition soon.

They cost the exact same price in Euro. (http://www.projekt-akustik.de/Kopfhoerer/Kopfhoerer-Over-Ear/Elear::5964.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw7qi7BRCvsr3N58GvsTkSJAA3UzLvvJP0W0Liyd8SOuAWvBP_b5AKZhQQ9deB3RYPaarMLRoCikbw_wcB)

Even though the Euro is worth more we are always getting the same number charged, just in Euros...

I am currently selling my HD 800 because they were to bright for me (Treble @around 6-8 kHz) and even caused some mild tinnitus. 

How is the Master 1 compared to the HD 800 in this regard?

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #643 of 2,188

They cost the exact same price in Euro. (http://www.projekt-akustik.de/Kopfhoerer/Kopfhoerer-Over-Ear/Elear::5964.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw7qi7BRCvsr3N58GvsTkSJAA3UzLvvJP0W0Liyd8SOuAWvBP_b5AKZhQQ9deB3RYPaarMLRoCikbw_wcB)

Even though the Euro is worth more we are always getting the same number charged, just in Euros...

I am currently selling my HD 800 because they were to bright for me (Treble @around 6-8 kHz) and even caused some mild tinnitus. 

How is the Master 1 compared to the HD 800 in this regard?

Yep, I noticed on their own website as well.
Even without import tax, shipping, a distributor and currency penalty we still get to pay more over here.
That's simply ridiculous if not outrageous!

I never liked the HD800 all that much, sold my pair years ago.
Most of all it was the lack of bass for me but the brightness bothered me as well as being overly spacious, losing the intimacy you get with headphones.
Considering brightness I wouldn't worry with the M1, not even fresh out of the box. I happened to notice that burn-in was short on these, maybe 30-50 hours. After that they didn't change much anymore.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #644 of 2,188
I never liked the HD800 all that much, sold my pair years ago.
Most of all it was the lack of bass for me but the brightness bothered me as well as being overly spacious, losing the intimacy you get with headphones.
Considering brightness I wouldn't worry with the M1, not even fresh out of the box. I happened to notice that burn-in was short on these, maybe 30-50 hours. After that they didn't change much anymore.
Agreed on all parts, seems we share a very similar impression of what sounds 'right' :)

Edit - if you want to hear how accurate the M1 is with instruments - take a listen to this track on Tidal

Vocals are a bit sub par, but when the backing track picks up, it feels like you ARE the drummer / on stage.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #645 of 2,188
Heyyy, there's a new review on kopfhoerer.de

http://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/pioneer-se-master1/

(in German)

Here's my feeble attempt at a translation of some of the key elements. Apparently, impressions are after 100 hours of burn-in. Obviously, English is not my first language, but here I go anyway:

Masterful resolution, somewhat polite bass. Manufacturer’s flagship model, spearheading the dynamic headphone sector. Aspirations and achievement are congruent. One of the highlights of my reviewing career, the SE-MASTER1 is a 10 out of 10 on all counts. Only drawback: price.

SOUND
The amount of detail this premium headphone model lets you hear is shocking in a positive way. Dynamic acoustic or orchestral pieces are exceptionally well translated, stereo placement of the individual instruments/tracks is wide and extremely accurate. High and mid frequencies are superlatively reproduced. Even material with a lot of high frequency content never sounds harsh. The bass region could leave some users desiring a little bit more pressure. Here you have to take into account firstly the open design and secondly the fact that this is the section where most often smoke and mirrors are employed. To my ears, the SE-MASTER1 is outstandingly equipped in the bass department without being earth-shattering. Complex compositions or heavily produced songs also benefit from this. Full arrangements are reproduced in a very musical way – by which I mean that the SE-MASTER1, despite its precise rendering, is never fatiguing, not even during long hearing sessions. Taking the headphone off after such a session, it does not leave you with a wooly sensation; instead you can, for example, immediately switch to some monitor speakers for comparisons.

CONCLUSION
Expensive does not necessarily equal good – but with the Pioneer SE-Master1, aspiration and achievement are congruent, which is to say that if implemented in such a way as here, expensive means fantastic. I savoured my time with the SE-Master1. For several days, I have listened, relistened and compared different music genres at all volume levels out of multiple sources. My first impressions were confirmed time and again. If you ever get the chance to listen to the SE-MASTER1, do so by all means, and if you are already an owner, I congratulate you on your choice.

Admittedly, it's not the most in-depth review, but given the scarcity of material on these cans, I figured people would appreciate any piece of information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back