Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jan 14, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #556 of 1,830

Lol, well that's a load of scallops isn't it. Just pretentious twaddle. The small flaw in these extremely precise and accurate and honest (<sarcasm>) reviews is that any microscopic nuance they're hearing can be coloured by any piece of equipment in the chain and even the angle they're holding their head, so if they can indeed hear these things then they could actually be applied to any of these environmental factors.  Swap out any of the equipment bar the product they're actually reviewing, change the enviornment they're listening in.... do they really think the chacertistics would be unchanged simply because it's the same product that's under the spotlight, and therefore how do they know that anything they're hearing is caused by that product or by one of the accompanying factors?  The other unbelievable thing is that people actually fall for this.

Would anyone really know what I mean if I say that "there is a sparkle to this that other products only hint at yet sometimes falling into the trap of an almost too-rounded performance at the top end when I would really be looking for a cheekier approach", or have I just made it all up?

Will be interesting to see what they say about the sound of it versus the Onkyo (as they are the same under the bonnet), single-ended. As a reviewer, I'm as bored by most reviews out there. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #557 of 1,830
i received my dap yesterday and i can confirm USA version doesn't have any limitation , i'm using Senn HD700 in high gain loud and clear ( 140 / 160 Digital volume ) and in low and normal gain with Westone UM Pro 50 , some people report software has issue with high capacity sd cart but i'm using 128GB PNY Micro SD ( in slot 1 ) after 5 hours testing i dont have problem lag or something , and i'm very happy with my purchase but my only criticism about this dap is small capacity battery is only 1600mah which is very low for the device like this , anyway you have still 10 hours battery life with playing in 24/96 flac file ( in whathifi review mention  16 hours (on 24-bit/96kHz playback) but on the pioneer box write 10 hours using
 ) , i havent test in stand alone music mode but overall sound sig is very neutral which i like that

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #561 of 1,830
UAPP seems to play nicely with DAP and Hugo; Qobuz is fine through headphones directly - it can work with Hugo, but you have to set DAP player volume to high (at least 120 / 160) to get best control from Hugo and Android seems to upsample to 192. This is OK, but would prefer to be able to listen to music at original sample rate.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #562 of 1,830
My recent correspondence with pioneer about the EU volume restrictions. It seems as if there may be a removal of these restrictions soon.

I would urge all the EU user of the XDP100r to send similar complaints to their customer services, for which the link is highlighted in the following correspondence.

Enough complaints and this restriction may be removed with the next firmware update.

So please email away!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email, your enquiry has been registered in our system
under reference number:
Pioneer ticket ref nr: 19853

Dear Mr Abbas,

We are sorry you are not completely satisfied with your product at this
time, we are currently evaluating what options are possible in order for
this issue to be alleviated. In the meantime please bare with us, we hope
to be able to provide a solution very soon.

Please note that it is not possible to reply to this message. Should you
wish to reply, then please contact us at:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/support/support/contactform.html
ensuring that you fill in the reference number, which will allow us to
respond more effeciently.

Kind regards

Pioneer Europe NV (UK Branch)
Customer Relations Department

http://www.pioneer.co.uk
http://contactcenter.pioneer.eu/contactus.nsf/contact?openform&sub=pgb&lang=en

Tel - 0330 123 1240 or 0870 600 1539

In response to your previous email,

I am hugely disappointed with your reply. You are asking me to buy a U-05,
which I guess I am supposed to carry around on my daily commute am I ?

This is advertised as a true audiophile product, which has these
restrictions, that are not even compulsory. I have used the Sony NX2, AK
JR, Fiio X7 & Acoustic Research M2 and all have a higher output. The player
is advertised as having 75MW output which is clearly not the case.

My store wouldn't accept a return, so what can I do with this? I rather
listen to my iPhone 6 than this.

Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my AK JR.

Hugely disappointed, I had been looking for to this player for months and
preordered.

To put it short, Pioneer is a huge let down and will let all the audiophile
forums know, to stay away from this product.

And yes many thanks for recommending the Pioneer U-05....great idea.
Perfect companion to a PORTABLE player.

Many thanks.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email, your enquiry has been registered in our system
under reference number:
Pioneer ticket ref nr: 19788

Hello Mr Abbas.

Thank you for your email enquiry.

This is the specification of the product in that our player conforms with
European Regulation standards in terms of volume output whereas we are
aware there are other players on the market that do not.

You can raise the EQ or turn off the limiter within the settings or use a
headphone amp such as the Pioneer U-05 to increase the volume levels.

DISCLAIMER

This response is provided in good faith but Pioneer cannot warrant
the accuracy or completeness of information given,its suitability for
any particular purpose and it may contain technical or typographical
errors. All liability of Pioneer howsoever arising is expressly excluded
to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #563 of 1,830
Well said Hamza, good correspondence. I'm surprised the store would not return, when output advertised isnt being met. Who did you buy from? My understanding was units including earphones were restricted by the EU ruling. How can a volume limit be set when the DAP maker nor the EU body can know what iem/phone its being paired with?

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #564 of 1,830
Many thanks Andrew, sadly the watch guys I took the player to get the bumpers removed damaged the bumper. Therefore it can't be returned anymore. So my fault completely, the store I bought from are one of the most helpful stores so no fault of there's. However as you pointed out EU restrictions shouldn't be applicable to a player not bundled without headphones. So sadly my pioneer is just sitting on the shelf at this point. Pity as I was hoping that this player would do justice to my shure 846's. Hopefully with more complaints pioneer might put something into action.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #565 of 1,830
Well said Hamza, good correspondence. I'm surprised the store would not return, when output advertised isnt being met. Who did you buy from? My understanding was units including earphones were restricted by the EU ruling. How can a volume limit be set when the DAP maker nor the EU body can know what iem/phone its being paired with?

This is precisely the stupidity of this poorly implemented law, its doens't specify which headphones should be used to limit below 85dB and let the manufacturers in the dark about how to implement volume limitations.
Surely Pioneer must have used a fairly low impedance set when implementing, which creates this horrendous result.

They could have gone the Onkyo/Teac way and implement -10/-20db dampeners with the possibility to deactivate them after a warning.
The law says you should be warned before reaching "critical" levels, not that it's forbidden (typically what I have on my mobile phone).

That being said, the Pioneer answers show how little they care about the EU market, as most large electronic companies.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #567 of 1,830

Do you have the Firmware available? 
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #569 of 1,830
Hello, do you prefer the X7 over this pioneer? I currently have the X7 but still have time to send it back.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #570 of 1,830
Hello, do you prefer the X7 over this pioneer? I currently have the X7 but still have time to send it back.

I think Pioneer has a problem with volume limitation right now. Not sure every unit has this problem or just the unit import to EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back