Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Feb 3, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #631 of 1,830
I went to Headroom London show and purchased the Pioneer. In speaking to their team, they said a firmware is due in March which makes the line-out volume controllable. This will allow a legal get around of the EU volume cap which will affect headphone output only. Therefore the line-out will provide additional controllable volume. They suggested current volume 160 would equate to new firmware 130.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #632 of 1,830
most impressed with the Pioneer, despite the current EU volume limit. Very clean sound indeed. Similar to my Oppo HA-2 which is probably due to the DAC choice. Loving the ability for one device to cover my library of music and provide Spotify and Tidal options too. No more trailing wires from device to dac.
I had a nice wooden case included too.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #633 of 1,830
People should start buying this player....

Seems pointless when the Onkyo is getting so much better reviews, and has balanced, and doesn't have volume cap.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #634 of 1,830
I've just reviewed this on my blog gavinsgadgets , review is live today. Or go to menu, reviews , audio.

I also have reviewed the Chord Mojo and ibasso dx80 so if anyone has any questions fire away.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #635 of 1,830
Just a simple question as I was searching the forums but could not find the specifics

For the Pioneer what are the type of memory cards should use to have the best performance. For example is their a rate of transfer or other spec when purchasing these. For 128GB I can find 7 brands with more than 60% price difference. When reading the specs I see a few differences but cannot tell if they would be meaningful when using Flacs, future MQA,etc

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #637 of 1,830
I've just reviewed this on my blog gavinsgadgets , review is live today. Or go to menu, reviews , audio.

I also have reviewed the Chord Mojo and ibasso dx80 so if anyone has any questions fire away.

Not bad review but no mention of weak volume levels,did you not test it with harder to drive iem or full size headphones,also I dont think DLNA had been implemented yet(it is if downloading app)

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #638 of 1,830
Not bad review but no mention of weak volume levels,did you not test it with harder to drive iem or full size headphones,also I dont think DLNA had been implemented yet(it is if downloading app)

Thanks. My review did mention all the headphones used. Personally I wouldn't use a portable unit with anything hard to drive , and based on the headphones I used I had no issues with volume at all. My Sennheiser HD598se sounded really lovely with the Pioneer.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #639 of 1,830
Thanks. My review did mention all the headphones used. Personally I wouldn't use a portable unit with anything hard to drive , and based on the headphones I used I had no issues with volume at all. My Sennheiser HD598se sounded really lovely with the Pioneer.

Good stuff. I do agree the Pioneer sounds very good but with a little more headroom it would be loads better, hopefully they will rectify this in the new firmware,along with MQA it will show us its true potential.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #640 of 1,830
I purchased mine directly from Hong Kong the sound is very good I have to keep it around 105-110. I have tried these with Westone and Campfire Jupiter.
BTW In order to get itunes playlist I used to to go from wondershare but the only music app that picks up the playlist in the device is jetAudio. I have tried power amp and neutron with no luck Plus the pre installed music app

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #642 of 1,830
My EU/UK XDP-100R received an automatic OTA firmware update today - 745mb worth.

All installed easily.

Does anyone know what might have changed? I've looked on the Pioneer website -all they have is...

This update contains the following changes: • Improved SD card playback • Improved music playback • Improved GUI Interface • Improves the connectivity to the USB DAC • Improves operation and adds the FF/FR function in the “Music” App

I'm using Shure 535's with mine. With 10mins of listening on the new firmware, i didn't notice any more headroom, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back