Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #2,161 of 2,535
Hey guys, I have a question about Aptx. I own the Pioneer XDP 300R. I also currently own the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. In case you weren't aware, the android 8.0 update allows it to support Aptx (not aptxhd). Also, I am using qobuz to stream music (which I can do from the Note 8 or either of the daps). So my question is, can I just stream 16 bit music from qobuz on my phone on to my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless (which support aptx) and get the same quality of audio as if I were to stream it from either daps to my momentums?

Yes. Bluetooth will basically just transmit compressed data from your phone using the AptX codec to your Momentums and it'll be decoded using the DAC on the headphones. So, it does not matter the device besides the BT Codec used to stream the data. The XDP-300R is limited to AptX only, and not higher quality codecs like AptX HD and LDAC.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #2,162 of 2,535
That is pretty much my only complain as well.
If the OS is you guys only complaint then you haven't been paying attention! You better baby the hell out of this thing cause it is fragile in more ways than one. Mine doesn't leave my house lol. It is the best sounding DAP I own though. I would recommend everyone to epoxy their headphone jacks in place and never to drop it! As a matter of fact, don't even talk bad to it!

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #2,163 of 2,535
Yes. Bluetooth will basically just transmit compressed data from your phone using the AptX codec to your Momentums and it'll be decoded using the DAC on the headphones. So, it does not matter the device besides the BT Codec used to stream the data. The XDP-300R is limited to AptX only, and not higher quality codecs like AptX HD and LDAC.
Thank for the reply! Since I'll be getting the same audio quality via the note 8's aptx (qobuz) as I would on my XDP 300R I'll just sell the pioneer. Thank you

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2,164 of 2,535
And just to double check, you're saying that my note 8 will produce the same sound quality (I'm getting 16 bit from qobuz)as a dedicated dap as long as I'm using bluetooth? I mean, I understand that if I were using wired headphones the Pioneer would be better (if I use the same bit rate on both devices)but I'm still not sure this applies to bluetooth.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #2,165 of 2,535
And just to double check, you're saying that my note 8 will produce the same sound quality (I'm getting 16 bit from qobuz)as a dedicated dap as long as I'm using bluetooth? I mean, I understand that if I were using wired headphones the Pioneer would be better (if I use the same bit rate on both devices)but I'm still not sure this applies to bluetooth.
Dude you need to pick up a pair of IEMs with a balanced connection and you'll be blown away by the 300R. It really is special when it's utilizing both of its' DACs, which it only does in balanced mode.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #2,166 of 2,535
Dude you need to pick up a pair of IEMs with a balanced connection and you'll be blown away by the 300R. It really is special when it's utilizing both of its' DACs, which it only does in balanced mode.
I don't have the budget for that at the moment lol. I'm happy with the sennheiser momentums for now. I just want to know if the dap is worth keeping since it appears that I can get the same quality thank to the note 8's aptx support (same as the pioneer)

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,167 of 2,535
I don't have the budget for that at the moment lol. I'm happy with the sennheiser momentums for now. I just want to know if the dap is worth keeping since it appears that I can get the same quality thank to the note 8's aptx support (same as the pioneer)

If you are using the Pioneer Bluetooth only it probably isn't worth keeping it. The Pioneer's two uSD card slots are a very useful feature though and can be counted as a reason to keep it, mine currently has 1Tb of storage (2x512Gb) and later this year, or early next year it will have 2Tb of storage but obviously you can use two smaller cards and get the same advantage.

Obviously if you only stream music you can disregard that reason too, a Smartphone would probably be all the music player you need.

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,168 of 2,535
I've noticed that anytime I try to go into a specific artist's Greatest Hits album, it pulls every song on any album titled Greatest Hits. For instance, when I go to Artists>Al Green>Greatest Hits it has several hundred songs in there, not just Al Green's Greatest Hits album. Has anyone else seen this or have a way to fix it? Is it possibly a tagging issue or something along those lines?

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,169 of 2,535
I've noticed that anytime I try to go into a specific artist's Greatest Hits album, it pulls every song on any album titled Greatest Hits. For instance, when I go to Artists>Al Green>Greatest Hits it has several hundred songs in there, not just Al Green's Greatest Hits album. Has anyone else seen this or have a way to fix it? Is it possibly a tagging issue or something along those lines?

Yes its probably a tagging issue, perhaps try experimenting with different tagging options. I can't really help much more though, all my music is arranged in folders and I just use folder browsing, it works best for me.

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #2,170 of 2,535
I got around it by renaming each album as the artists name (Al Greens) Greatest Hits, (Queens) ..... etc

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,172 of 2,535
Hey, guys. I have a 300r and just purchased a Schiit Vali 2 amp and a Schiit Multibit DAC. Here’s my question: what cables do I need for the 300r to connect it to the amp and dac? Thanks in advance.
USB from 300R to DAC (mini USB to USB A?). RCA from DAC to amp, done.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #2,173 of 2,535
Yes its probably a tagging issue, perhaps try experimenting with different tagging options. I can't really help much more though, all my music is arranged in folders and I just use folder browsing, it works best for me.

Oh true, good call. Mine are organized by folder too but I never browsed that way because I like listening to albums in order of track listing and this sorts by filename so it goes 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4 etc. But that's definitely an option for getting around this, thanks! I'll look into the tags too.

I got around it by renaming each album as the artists name (Al Greens) Greatest Hits, (Queens) ..... etc

Also a good idea, I may go this route as well. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #2,174 of 2,535
Oh true, good call. Mine are organized by folder too but I never browsed that way because I like listening to albums in order of track listing and this sorts by filename so it goes 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4 etc. But that's definitely an option for getting around this, thanks! I'll look into the tags too.

Ah, that's easy to fix, just add a 0 to the track number - 01, 02, 03, 04... 10, 11 all play in the right order. You need to add two zeros 001,002... 100, 101 in the unlikely event you have more than 100 tracks in a folder. I use TotalCommander to add the zeros but you can do it manually too.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,175 of 2,535
Hi guys!
First of all sorry for my english. I have 3 topics.
1.- I own the xdp-300r since a few months a go, I use it with the native app, hiby music and usb audio pro, With the USB audio player when I use files from my smaller sd Card it freeze and close, with the native it just stop a few seconds and keep playing normally, with the hiby everything is normal. Do you thing this is a sd card issue?
2.- I have a few files .dsf and it plays normal, but I dont know if its playing as PCM, just to confirm if this is not compatible natively with dsd. I tryed to active the bit perfect on the usb audio player and it does not play the song. Is this a hardware topic? I mean this dap will never be compatible with dsd?
3.- When I use mqa files, some times the mqa logo is white, and other times is black, it means that for some types of mqa the dap is compatible?

Thanks a lot.

I forgot to mension that I am using the 300r with a tin t2 with balanced cable and the sennheiser hd58x from massdrop also with balanced cable.

Regards!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back