Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Dec 6, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,981 of 2,535
My brainvawz B400 with balanced cables just arrived and the player just straight blows my nuts off. Absolutely in love with it yet again.
I'm currently on the following settings:

Output: balanced
Volume: variable line out
Gain: normal
Digital filter: sharp
lock range: 60% (slightly to the right from normal)

Any suggestions to get even more out of it, or is it just plain personal preference at this point?

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,982 of 2,535
Any suggestions to get even more out of it, or is it just plain personal preference at this point?

Try switching to ACG. Low gain, if the phones permit.
I replaced the cable on my Pioneer SE-CH9T with a balanced one when I got home today. Sitting here grinning like a fool for two hours straight now. This must stop! I have things to do! Help!

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,983 of 2,535
Try switching to ACG. Low gain, if the phones permit.
I replaced the cable on my Pioneer SE-CH9T with a balanced one when I got home today. Sitting here grinning like a fool for two hours straight now. This must stop! I have things to do! Help!
Confirmed! ACG is something special. + Lock range: 1 step before max of the narrow side, dsp disabled, filter: sharp. This is something really special.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,985 of 2,535
I have a question for someone who has this player and Shure SE846 headphones. I had a Fiio balanced cable handy so I hooked it up to my 846's and listened via balanced. The bass was pretty much missing, everything sounded very dry and very clean. Kinda dull though. I plugged the same headphones into the balanced output of a Fiio X5iii and oh my, there is the bass that has been missing. So my guess is there may be a difference between the balanced pinouts on a Fiio X5iii and and the XDP-300R.
My question then, can someone point me at a balanced cable that is correct for use with the Pioneer and the Shures? Thanks.
(I am listening to the non-balanced output with a normal cable to the 846's at the moment. Sounds WAY better than that silly Fiio balanced cable.)

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,986 of 2,535
I have a question for someone who has this player and Shure SE846 headphones. I had a Fiio balanced cable handy so I hooked it up to my 846's and listened via balanced. The bass was pretty much missing, everything sounded very dry and very clean. Kinda dull though. I plugged the same headphones into the balanced output of a Fiio X5iii and oh my, there is the bass that has been missing. So my guess is there may be a difference between the balanced pinouts on a Fiio X5iii and and the XDP-300R.
My question then, can someone point me at a balanced cable that is correct for use with the Pioneer and the Shures? Thanks.
(I am listening to the non-balanced output with a normal cable to the 846's at the moment. Sounds WAY better than that silly Fiio balanced cable.)
I don’t have those IEMs but it sounds like maybe your balanced input needs to burn in some? Was that your first time ever using it?

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,987 of 2,535
I used it for 2 hours a day for over a week. I don't think burn in is the issue. I think pinouts is the issue.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,988 of 2,535
I used it for 2 hours a day for over a week. I don't think burn in is the issue. I think pinouts is.
Yeah sounds like it. Damn that sucks man

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,989 of 2,535
So my guess is there may be a difference between the balanced pinouts on a Fiio X5iii and and the XDP-300R

There is no difference they both use the same pinout, its the A&K balanced wiring configuration. What filters are you using?

I have the se846 and this DAP, I just tested the combo using the iBasso CB12s cable and I agree the upper mids are very forward, but the bass is there too. Its an overall brighter sound I agree. This could be an impedance matching issue, some pairings just don't work for everybody.

I actually quite enjoy the sound from this combo, anything that brings the upper mids and treble forward with the se846 is a good thing IMHO.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,990 of 2,535
I use the standard unmolested blue filters.
You know how the bass is supposed to sound with the SE846. With the Fiio balanced cable plugged into the Pioneer it does not sound like it should. With the unbalanced cable it sounds like it should.
Plug the Fiio balanced cable equipped SE846 into the Fiio X5iii and it sounds like it should. Odd.
I guess I'll just ignore the balanced output on the Pioneer with these headphones.
(love your picture by the way)

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,991 of 2,535
I use the standard unmolested blue filters.
You know how the bass is supposed to sound with the SE846. With the Fiio balanced cable plugged into the Pioneer it does not sound like it should. With the unbalanced cable it sounds like it should.
Plug the Fiio balanced cable equipped SE846 into the Fiio X5iii and it sounds like it should. Odd.
I guess I'll just ignore the balanced output on the Pioneer with these headphones.

After I posted my reply above I back-to-back tested my se846 with a Shanling m3s balanced output and I understand what you mean its a totally different sound to the 300R.

The balanced output impedance on the XDP-300R measures at 7 ohms, the impedance of the se846 at its lowest is 8 ohms, so not really a surprise that it sounds "different" with the Pioneer player. Its probably a combo to avoid.

(love your picture by the way)

Thanks. :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,992 of 2,535
I guess every wonder lasts 7 days...

QgsaLFy.jpg

QgsaLFy

I was sitting down to tie my laces and the jack got pushed against my body, the connector broke.
Have absolutely no idea what to do, I guess there is no point taking it to a official pioneer repair shop..

Totally heartbroken.. had balanced for a week

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,993 of 2,535
I guess every wonder lasts 7 days...

QgsaLFy

I was sitting down to tie my laces and the jack got pushed against my body, the connector broke.
Have absolutely no idea what to do, I guess there is no point taking it to a official pioneer repair shop..

Totally heartbroken.. had balanced for a week

There is a repair shop in HK (Romi Audio) that is discussed in the Onkyo DP-X1 thread that may be able to repair it (and upgrade it) as the players are nigh identical. Post back up and let us know what they say.

~Ex

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #1,994 of 2,535
Wow...this is really quite unacceptable. Like really inexcusable. I'm afraid to even use my damn 300R and when I do I handle it with kiddie gloves. What makes it even more unbelievable is that they knew this problem existed with the Onkyo and then they went right ahead and did the same thing in the "updated" Pioneer model. Didn't they even advertise how the 300R had a fixed headphone out in regards to this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back