Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
May 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,726 of 2,535
Yeah I just sold off my Lyra II due to sibilance in vocals and lacking the midrange I prefer. I don't believe my CH9T had the hiss though. The N40 do require a higher volume than normal so I'm hoping they won't have it. If so it will be disappointing as I bought the 300R since it has streaming capabilities, I might as well revert back to a normal player with better battery life and listen to only offline music.

One thing I haven't tried is downloading songs from Spotify for Offline listening, wonder if that still has the hiss
Oh wow I haven't tried lyra before but both my CA's satisfy my longings. And yeah I feel you on the streaming capabilities sold all my past daps in favor for one that can stream since I usually only use tidal and Spotify.with offline use, the hissing problems aren't as noticeable compared to when its online.

May 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,727 of 2,535
Oh wow I haven't tried lyra before but both my CA's satisfy my longings. And yeah I feel you on the streaming capabilities sold all my past daps in favor for one that can stream since I usually only use tidal and Spotify.with offline use, the hissing problems aren't as noticeable compared to when its online.
Yeah I got the N40's, bought the Lyra II because I had been wanting them for so long, sold off my N40 a couple months later, then about a month ago I reacquired my N40 in a trade (came back shell broken so replacement through AKG for a brand new pair!). Fell in love with the N40 again, switched to the Lyra II and it was just missing mids and I couldn't turn them up too loud because the upper mids and certain male vocals would hurt my ears so the bass wasn't that great. Also add in the issue with driver flex. The N40 are smooth treble with a hefty amount of bass to satisfy my needs, and the midrange is super engaging. I guess its the BA's at work.

Just ordered a pair of NICEHCK HK6 IEMs, getting back on the Chi-Fi train. 6 BA's for $200. Can't beat that.

May 16, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,728 of 2,535
Tbh this is the first dap that I actually really like! All my past daps (Sony a25, a35, x5 2nd gen, and ak100mk2) felt like there was something missing.

May 16, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,729 of 2,535
Yeah I got the N40's, bought the Lyra II because I had been wanting them for so long, sold off my N40 a couple months later, then about a month ago I reacquired my N40 in a trade (came back shell broken so replacement through AKG for a brand new pair!). Fell in love with the N40 again, switched to the Lyra II and it was just missing mids and I couldn't turn them up too loud because the upper mids and certain male vocals would hurt my ears so the bass wasn't that great. Also add in the issue with driver flex. The N40 are smooth treble with a hefty amount of bass to satisfy my needs, and the midrange is super engaging. I guess its the BA's at work.

Just ordered a pair of NICEHCK HK6 IEMs, getting back on the Chi-Fi train. 6 BA's for $200. Can't beat that.
Lol I did the same thing with my novas, I utterly loved the novas but then Isold them in favor of the Andros but ended up realizing that I'm treble sensitive and ended up selling them and got the exact same pair of novas again and now I think I've reached end game with those lol. As for polaris and savannas, I just wanted something to contrast with my novas lol

May 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #1,730 of 2,535
Can anyone help? I noticed that songs "jump" or hiccups from time to time...

May 17, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,731 of 2,535
Can anyone help? I noticed that songs "jump" or hiccups from time to time...
I have noticed that as well.. i hear sometimes like a hiccup or a pop from time to time.

May 17, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,732 of 2,535
I heard pops and glitches when I was trying to listen to music while UAPP was updating its database. Everything was good again when the processors could focus solely on music. Maybe make sure you don't have anything unnecessary running/updating/downloading?

Just a thought.

May 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,735 of 2,535
I heard pops and glitches when I was trying to listen to music while UAPP was updating its database. Everything was good again when the processors could focus solely on music. Maybe make sure you don't have anything unnecessary running/updating/downloading?

Just a thought.
Oh I'll try observing it when its offline cuz ATM I'm still downloading my tidal files.

May 18, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,736 of 2,535

Just a thought.
Yep! That was definitely the cause of the hiccups hehe. Another question (sorry for sounding like a complete noob... This is really just my first time owning an android based dap) does the eq you set in the native music player carry across other players? (I.e. tidal, spotify etc.)

May 18, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,737 of 2,535
May 18, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,738 of 2,535
I also noticed that formatting my sd card plus installing an older version of tidal did the trick with regards to the random hiccups. Its all smooth sailing for me now.

May 19, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,739 of 2,535
@romanrex which is the best DAP you've measured so far?
This is not a simple question. When comparing players, it is necessary to take into account equal conditions. All players have different output power.

For example, the player "X" shows good results, but it's quiet. Another player "Y" shows in a similar quiet mode a similar good result. But the "Y" player can work and "loud" and in this mode its characteristics are bad. If the player X can be called good, then the player "Y" is good only in direct comparison with "X". At what level should we compare the players? This is not the only true answer.

Another example is the difference in quality when adjusting the volume with an analogue controller and digital level control in the DAC.

For example, in the player "N" the controller is analog. From the output of the DAC to a level of 0 dBFS, distortions increase. This distortion of the analog circuit from the DAC. When the volume is reduced by an analogue controller, these distortions remain. If the player "N" would be a digital controller, then the decrease in the amplitude to reduce these distortions.

But let's take the player "M" with a digital controller. When the volume decreases, the distortion from the analog DAC circuit is eliminated. Assume that we have enough volume for the selected headphones. There may be another problem.When the volume decreases, specific DAC distortions appear. The reason can be as its modulators, digital filter or power supply.

For example Benjie X1

When the volume level is reduced, the distortion does not decrease. At small amplitudes (-40dBFS ~ -60 dBFS), distortions to the main signal are high.

Accordingly, in direct comparison at a low volume, the player "N" will have distortions from the analog circuit, and in the player "M" from the DAC itself. The distortion of the headphone amplifier in this example was not taken into account.

If to allocate good results without direct comparisons. Good results from line-out and from headphone amplifier with full volume.

Cayin N6
Colorful Colorfly C4 Pro
FiiO X5-III
FiiO X7 II
Pioneer XDP-300R
Oriolus DP100
iBasso DX150
iBasso DX200
Hidizs AP100
Shanling M2s
Shanling M3s
xDuoo X20

Each of the players is not perfect, but it has good characteristics. Players that were not tested with a multitone signal were not included in the list. The list did not hit the players with a loud amplifier, but high-quality work only at a quiet volume. Maybe I missed some player.

May 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,740 of 2,535
What a wasted potential! Soo beautiful, great, spacious and natural sounding DAP with 75 mW output from SE. What??? This must be a joke! It couldnt even drive properly my Bang Olufsen H6 which are 32 Ohm or something like that. Volume level was on max- 160 and it still sounded quieter than my iBasso DX80 on level 110 from 150.
I really wanted to get this beauty, but this power output from SE is a ****ing JOKE! And plz dont tell me that it has balanced with double of this power. I cant get balanced cable for my H6 which were 260e. I really dont get the point of such power limitation. It is one of the stupidest things I've seen on a DAP market. Shame..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back