Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
May 25, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,757 of 2,535
At the moment b&o h6 2nd, and have Pinnacle P1 and Senns ie80 at home. To be honest, i prefer over ears to the iems. U cant trick the physics:) Is really hard to get big sound from iems. They are mainly for the detail retrieval.
I get what you mean, in ears can never really best over ears even when the IEM costs over 500 bucks, $100 over ears can beat it.
But for me, when I'm given a chance to get a pair of iems or over ears I'll always pick iems any day he he.

May 25, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,758 of 2,535
I get what you mean, in ears can never really best over ears even when the IEM costs over 500 bucks, $100 over ears can beat it.
But for me, when I'm given a chance to get a pair of iems or over ears I'll always pick iems any day he he.
Hehe, buying iems is a real pleasure, i have to confirm. They are not just phones but also a gadget. And of course way more portable. At the moment Im really happy with the sound of xdp300 paired with h6. Very even, and opened for closed cans. There are many moments when the music sounds really beautiful and elegant for me. Something I missed with the dx80.

May 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,760 of 2,535
Hmmm, haven't directly compared them, but have DX90, don't use it, use my Pioneer or Pono most of the time.

May 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,761 of 2,535
Apologies if this has already been covered, but has anyone used a TRRS to XLR adapter, like this one:

https://www.moon-audio.com/custom-4-pin-xlr-headphone-adapter.html

To connect their XDP-300R to an amp?

*UPDATE*

Never mind, I realized I needed a different set of connectors for what I wanted.

Although I am curious if other people are using 2.5mm TRRS to XLR cables to a balanced headphone amp with their XDP-300R.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,762 of 2,535
Hmmm, haven't directly compared them, but have DX90, don't use it, use my Pioneer or Pono most of the time.
DX80 sounds different compared to DX90, is fuller and warmer in sound, more analog. But after a couple more comparisons, i stayed with pioneer. The sound is more mature and opened. Maybe it started to burn in, because its getting fuller, warmer and even more opened. Its definitely level up from dx80. But ibasso still sounds bit thicker and more forward. For fun and rythm i recommend dx80, for more audiophile and mature listening, pioneer clearly wins.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #1,765 of 2,535
Amazon subtracts some tax (either VAT or similar) when sending abroad. I ordered mine recently and the final price was ~8% lower than listed. Shipping was also super fast.

Yes I live on Guernsey and if I order from Amazon.co.uk the system takes off the VAT automatically.

However it all depends on the seller. If it's from Amazon themselves the VAT is taken away. If it's an Amazon based seller the VAT is usually not taken off so you have to be a bit aware of that.

Swings and roundabouts, what I save in VAT I sometimes get hit with higher postage or most companies won't post here at all. So most of the nice deals you guys find I can't take advantage of! lol :)

I think once Brexit kicks in, it's gonna be a lot more complex.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,766 of 2,535
Yes I live on Guernsey and if I order from Amazon.co.uk the system takes off the VAT automatically.

However it all depends on the seller. If it's from Amazon themselves the VAT is taken away. If it's an Amazon based seller the VAT is usually not taken off so you have to be a bit aware of that.
Yes I've been meaning Amazon JP itself as they offer the lowest price on XDP-300R. ¥38,137 (¥36,851 + ¥1,286 shipping to the US) is a real bargain.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,767 of 2,535
Just a quick post on something.

Some may find this interesting I don't know.

I had a flight back home from Gatwick a few weeks back and for one reason or another I was very early for the flight and also (typically) the flight was also delayed by two hours so I had some serious time to kill! lol

So I wandered down to the Dixons Duty Free area and just spent a good half an hour (maybe more) plugging in the 300R into all the available headphones so I could to see what the sound was like.

I used some hi-res music and some FLAC and also AAC files that I had on the player.

I found it very interesting. I've noticed that this player seems to be very headphone fussy and my little mini auditions proved the case.

Some headphones sounded good but others (that were quite expensive as well) sounded just awful. It was really revealing.

As mentioned above, on a few Sony models I had to crank the volume to the max (my 300R is a Jap import model) so they would be useless unless you had an external amp.

The Bluetooth Sony award winners were interesting. A nice sound but didn't blow me away in the way I thought they would. Some fiddling with the EQ was needed.

The Sennheiser momentums were very good too, but as above I'm wondering if you need a good amp to get the best out of them.

The BOSE range also produced a good sound so I can see why they are popular.

It was a good exercise though. I had this feeling that this player was very revealing and took no prisoners when it came to headphones, iem's, etc. This little test seemed to prove this.

I also noted that the FLAC's in some cases sounded better than the hi-res. A little bit like when I listened to some SACD's and DVD-Audios at home. The extended frequency range didn't always produce the more enjoyable listen on the chosen headphone.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #1,768 of 2,535
Just wondering... What are you guys using to transfer audio files aside from xdap link? I really want my files to be organised. I cant stand xdap link anymore. It takes ages to load at start-up. Thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,769 of 2,535
USB card reader and drag and drop with windows10 PC is all I ever do

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,770 of 2,535
I'm on Linux and not super competent. I just pull the cards out and copy files with a USB adapter when it's time to add stuff. I don't know how to access the cards when they are still in music player. (Should see what happens when I connect the player and look at it in a Win 7 virtual machine.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back