Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,441 of 2,535
do you have a link? the site i found seemed to be a uk site, but was about 99% in chinese or japanese--i couldn't make head nor tails of it. tks, /guy

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,442 of 2,535
do you have a link? the site i found seemed to be a uk site, but was about 99% in chinese or japanese--i couldn't make head nor tails of it. tks, /guy

http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/

I'm afraid all the refurbs have gone now, they did disappear quickly.

I'm sure they'll be more at some point if you don't want to pay full price.

I just wanted to share my experience anyway as there are lots of Onkyo cases and at least we know you can use the same design.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,443 of 2,535
Hi guys, how is the volume of the european version of the 300r from the 3.5 headphones port? I heard that the eu version is volume capped and I would like to have a feedback on this from the european headfiers who own the 300r. Also, I used to own an Onkyo dp-x1a which I sold since I found the sound signature too bright. Is the sound signature of the 300r different from the onkyo (especially in bass department)? Last question: do you have any issues when streaming with the 300r from apps like tidal, apple music etc? Do you hear any pops or cracks when streaming (the ibasso dx 200 i have has pops and cracks when skipping songs in tidal)? Thanks!!

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #1,444 of 2,535
Hi guys, how is the volume of the european version of the 300r from the 3.5 headphones port? I heard that the eu version is volume capped and I would like to have a feedback on this from the european headfiers who own the 300r. Also, I used to own an Onkyo dp-x1a which I sold since I found the sound signature too bright. Is the sound signature of the 300r different from the onkyo (especially in bass department)? Last question: do you have any issues when streaming with the 300r from apps like tidal, apple music etc? Do you hear any pops or cracks when streaming (the ibasso dx 200 i have has pops and cracks when skipping songs in tidal)? Thanks!!

I don't stream, I'm afraid, so I can't answer your last question, or the one about the Onkyo dp-s1a, but as for your first: yes, the volume could certainly be better on the 300r European version, but I've followed at least one "work-round" suggested here: Put the "Gain" setting on "High". I'm not even sure what that means, but it has made quite a difference. I'm now using the "balanced" port, and I think that also helps. Some files definitely fare better than others - a box set of Bruckner symphonies from Eastern Europe sound thin, for instance, but mostly the sound is still so rich and "in yer head" that I don't mind the volume being slightly under-par.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,445 of 2,535
I don't stream, I'm afraid, so I can't answer your last question, or the one about the Onkyo dp-s1a, but as for your first: yes, the volume could certainly be better on the 300r European version, but I've followed at least one "work-round" suggested here: Put the "Gain" setting on "High". I'm not even sure what that means, but it has made quite a difference. I'm now using the "balanced" port, and I think that also helps. Some files definitely fare better than others - a box set of Bruckner symphonies from Eastern Europe sound thin, for instance, but mostly the sound is still so rich and "in yer head" that I don't mind the volume being slightly under-par.

The one thing I have found so far is the 300R is very revealing (as you kind of mention above). If the original recording was not very good the Pioneer will tend to show all the faults very easily.

I have a favourite album of mine but the recording is not perfect (the sound is slightly ragged at the top end if that makes sense). The Pioneer shows this up very easily. So I just played with the EQ a little bit to "dull" the treble. Worked a treat.

Not a fault of the player at all, just an observation.

I would imagine it may be the same scenario with very low bit recordings. Not that many of us would use that but from a streaming point of view that may be a possibility.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #1,446 of 2,535

Many thanks.I think the balanced port has more power than the 3.5 one. I may wait for the hiby r6 to be released, hoping it will not be buggy. For sure, the Onkyo 1a and the Pioneer both have the best screens of all the daps I tried. Its a pity they follow the european regulations about the volume :/

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #1,447 of 2,535
Many thanks.I think the balanced port has more power than the 3.5 one. I may wait for the hiby r6 to be released, hoping it will not be buggy. For sure, the Onkyo 1a and the Pioneer both have the best screens of all the daps I tried. Its a pity they follow the european regulations about the volume :/
I take it that you had turned the fixed line out mode off? If not, the volume will go up to 120, but if you use variable line out it goes to 160 I believe.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,448 of 2,535
I take it that you had turned the fixed line out mode off? If not, the volume will go up to 120, but if you use variable line out it goes to 160 I believe.

I don't have the 300r but I was thinking to buy it. The european volume cap and the bright signature (from the feedbacks I got) are holding me back though.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,449 of 2,535
I don't have the 300r but I was thinking to buy it. The european volume cap and the bright signature (from the feedbacks I got) are holding me back though.
I believe that the the European volume cap was at 120 vol, (fixed line out), but the variable line out will give 160 volume. I have an xdp-300 and live in the UK, however, I don’t stream any music. high gain will increase volume some more. SE output uses 1x amp/dac, but balanced uses both dac/amps so is more powerful. As for sound signature, that will probably be similar to the Onkyo I expect, although I haven’t heard it.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #1,450 of 2,535
I believe that the the European volume cap was at 120 vol, (fixed line out), but the variable line out will give 160 volume.

Mine goes up to 160, and I have no memory of changing the line out from fixed to variable (or even how or what that might mean). I did, accidentally, hit the "Line Out" button at one point while listening through headphones and that near blasted my ears off, but I find I'm just fine with that off.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,451 of 2,535
Variable Line Out is a get around that avoids the volume cap. If this option isn't shown in settings, your 300R already has the full power.
With this function on, you basically have the same output level as the non-volume-capped version.

Off Topic: If you consider line out as output bypassing analogue volume control, the name variable line out isn't misleading, cuz 300R uses digital volume control, so every step is line out.

For streaming, one problem on sensitive earphones is static noise. For my CKR100, static hissing noise is heard for normal and high gain, but no problem for low1 or low2
As volume 80 at low1 is enough to drive CKR100 well, it is 100% fine to stick with low1 (I think SQ is the best at this gain too)
For less sensitive and higher impedance headphone, I think the noise would be well covered.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,452 of 2,535
Mine goes up to 160, and I have no memory of changing the line out from fixed to variable (or even how or what that might mean). I did, accidentally, hit the "Line Out" button at one point while listening through headphones and that near blasted my ears off, but I find I'm just fine with that off.
Try - press settings (cog symbol), then sound & notifications, scroll down to fixed line out mode and switch off if not already done.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,453 of 2,535
Try - press settings (cog symbol), then sound & notifications, scroll down to fixed line out mode and switch off if not already done.

Oh, sorry, I should have been clearer - yes, I accidentally turned it on by hitting the button on the touch screen that said, "Line Out Mode" by accident. I turned it off again by hitting it again once I realised what I'd done.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,454 of 2,535
I don't find the DAP bright at all, I find it to be pretty accurate and not add much to the sound besides being pretty revealing like Andrew said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back