Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,426 of 2,532
But this led me to believe a standard TRRS might not be the cable needed for the PM-3? Sorry, I'm completely unfamiliar with balanced/unbalanced cables
2.5 is what the 300r uses for balanced input. I believe all 2.5 are TRRS, 4 sleeves on the plug instead of the standard 3.5 TRS.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,427 of 2,532
2.5 is what the 300r uses for balanced input. I believe all 2.5 are TRRS, 4 sleeves on the plug instead of the standard 3.5 TRS.

That is correct there are 4 sleeves (poles) on a TRRS connector, but sadly the pinout of the 2.5mm TRRS has a few different options, the layout required for the Pioneer is the Astell and Kern configuration.

download2.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,428 of 2,532
Questions about the failure mode involving the headphone jacks. (1) Has anyone had this problem happen recently, i.e. with one of the units ostensibly manufactured with sturdier jacks? (2) If so, when the unbalanced jack fails, does the balanced one still function? I.e., does it make sense to "save" one of the jacks to use after the other one fails?

I have tried to be SUPER careful about not stressing the jack that I use, and it's a drag. Would like to know for sure that it's still necessary to baby the thing. And it would be heartening to learn that I can switch to balanced down to road if the one I use frequently fails.

Thanks. Good forum.

I'm not saying it's the same in every case of this issue but it's just something that went through my mind when I saw various user pictures.

If you are using a "standard" cable. They have small plugs, flexible cable, maybe even a small right angle type plug. Which in my view would place less stress on the sockets.

Most aftermarket cables have large heavier plugs, heavier gauged cable. The tendency for the plug to have more of a leverage effect on the socket must be stronger. For example in the picture below.

7ed5e879508494d0d79170cddf09dd8b.jpg

I'm not making excuses for Pioneer, I'm just wondering in testing they only concentrated on more mainstream type connections and just never envisaged such heavyweight connections.

I agree though, I'm being careful myself. I haven't read many reports of the sockets breaking though and only a couple on here. The issue seemed to plague the Onkyo more than the Pioneer.

I always "baby" my tech stuff anyway! lol

Not entirely the same thing but I've replaced many headphone sockets on iPhones as they get damaged and worn out by users, so not a unique problem to the Pioneer. Just a shame the Pioneer isn't held together with screws so its easier to service.

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #1,429 of 2,532
I'm not saying it's the same in every case of this issue but it's just something that went through my mind when I saw various user pictures.

If you are using a "standard" cable. They have small plugs, flexible cable, maybe even a small right angle type plug. Which in my view would place less stress on the sockets.

Most aftermarket cables have large heavier plugs, heavier gauged cable. The tendency for the plug to have more of a leverage effect on the socket must be stronger. For example in the picture below.

7ed5e879508494d0d79170cddf09dd8b.jpg

I'm not making excuses for Pioneer, I'm just wondering in testing they only concentrated on more mainstream type connections and just never envisaged such heavyweight connections.

I agree though, I'm being careful myself. I haven't read many reports of the sockets breaking though and only a couple on here. The issue seemed to plague the Onkyo more than the Pioneer.

I always "baby" my tech stuff anyway! lol

Not entirely the same thing but I've replaced many headphone sockets on iPhones as they get damaged and worn out by users, so not a unique problem to the Pioneer. Just a shame the Pioneer isn't held together with screws so its easier to service.
Good quality and being compatible with other devices often contradict each other.
2.5mm balance has various disadvantages, such as the leverage effect, small contact point lead to poor conductivity and durability, etc
Sadly it is generally adopted by AK and various Chinese DAPs, making it the most common balanced standard for DAPs
By electronic properties, the 4.4mm balance is much better than 2.5mm, but not much devices have it now.

It is like mmcx jack, which is clearly not good for earphones, but it has the best after market support.
Quite a sad phenomenon, but we need to accept this

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,430 of 2,532
Thank you for enlightening me. I really didn't know what it meant, but I do understand now. If I were to ever use balanced mode, would the following adapter work?

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/3.5mm-cable/silver-plated-hi-fi-balanced-adapter.html
3.5mm balance is a standard proposed by Hifiman
It is a TRRS without mic or button control, and it is quite rare in the market.

If the cable your headphone has TRS (3 connection points) connector or it has button/mic, it won't work

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,431 of 2,532
Just checking to see which screen protector you use and if it fits with the Pioneer leather case? Saw someone mention the Onkyo one in an earlier thread but cant get it in the UK. Are the Brotect ones worth a look?

Put a 400gb microsd in mine yesterday and all working fine, great to know this player can support two huge cards. Thanks for the previous advice on this too guys!

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,432 of 2,532
Just checking to see which screen protector you use and if it fits with the Pioneer leather case? Saw someone mention the Onkyo one in an earlier thread but cant get it in the UK. Are the Brotect ones worth a look?

Put a 400gb microsd in mine yesterday and all working fine, great to know this player can support two huge cards. Thanks for the previous advice on this too guys!

I use these screen protectors on mine, still on the 1st one, went on easily, with no trapped dust or bubbles, thanks to the included tip to apply it in a steamy bathroom. :)

Edit whoops, I forgot the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016DVM90S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,434 of 2,532
? Put a 400gb microsd in mine yesterday and all working fine said:
Oooh, that IS interesting. One of the reasons I went for the 300R was that I'd already bought 2 x 256GB for my Fiio X5ii, and the specs I saw said it could handle them (rather than me have to pay for 2 x 200Gb ones). I'd already had problems with these cards in the Fiio X5iii and the Pioneer 30R, both of which seemed to find them overwhelming and wouldn't read them or the tags and wouldn't display artwork, so both were returned and the 300R seems to have coped with them with absolutely no problem, so the idea of putting 2 x 400GB in there.....!

Even though I use my 300R, really, for portability...

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,435 of 2,532
That is correct there are 4 sleeves (poles) on a TRRS connector, but sadly the pinout of the 2.5mm TRRS has a few different options, the layout required for the Pioneer is the Astell and Kern configuration.

Go to something like Moon Audio and their 2.5 options are 2.5 TRRS and Dual 2.5, obvious which one we need. Never seen other options for 2.5 balanced and whenever I've ordered a 2.5 balanced it's been just that and always worked. Getting the MMCX connection to always work has been an issue though lol

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,436 of 2,532
Yes you do get bitperfect on UAPP with any Android, but Tidal is only streaming through UAPP. Z3, Android 4.4.4 I have a 256gb microsd loaded with Today offline with bitperfect playback to my Dragonfly Red. This is the PRIMARY reason I haven't picked up a DAP. DFR to JDS Labs C5 is my on the go. They are bonded together to the z3 as in my profile photo. I like dark but detailed sig, so when I can sit, I plug the DFR into my Cayin C5. A little darker than the JDS Labs, but wider soundstage. I'm still looking to possibly get another DAC/AMP for portable/stationary use. So a black label instead of a DAP. Only device catching my eye is the Hiby R6. The built in eq and filters with all apps is a plus, but will definitely be waiting for full release. Really happy with my upgradeable setup right now. As I stated, a wonderful transport for $150. And on top of that, it also has APT-X so it's great to take out the case and use as a lightweight audio player for exercise. Can't beat that right now.
Oh yes, of course! That's what was driving me nuts with UAPP.......Not being able to play offline Tidal downloads. Not sure if there are any plans to resolve this in future updates or if they even can. I also use the C5D on the fly because it is such a transparent source but lately I've found that the DFR to my old P51 (tiny and pretty powerful) is a great setup with my higher end iems and phones. Still would love an all in one solution for Tidal offline so the Hiby is interesting but like you, I'm going to wait that one out (been burned with the crowd funding stuff before). This Z3>DFR>Andromeda sounds like the closest answer for bit perfect nirvana for me currently so I will look at picking one up. Was it fairly easy to change the operating system back? No real experience with that.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,438 of 2,532
Thought I would post some pics of this for your information.

I wanted to get a case for the 300R as obviously we all want to take care of something this pricey.

I found the Dignis website via this forum and looked at the cases online, no mention of a case for the Pioneer but of course they do make one for the Onkyo.

So rather than take the risk of paying for a full price case I looked at the "seconds" section of the website.

These are cases that are not perfect or failed inspection.

So I bought a PU version of the case in black. Saved about $30 over the normal price. Postage was a bit steep but I decided to go for it anyway.

Case arrived this morning and I'm very impressed. Packaging is gloriously over the top! :) Two boxes, the case is in it's own little pouch to keep it safe as well.

Here's some pics...

9FsVY30.jpg

uX1TcEU.jpg

Comes with screen protectors and some protectors for the top as well.

ER5NAhX.jpg

Perfect Fit! :)

4jXohuN.jpg

Volume knob lines up fine

Jfgp8L4.jpg

Apart from the angled notch in the back of the chassis the 300R fits great.

eEMg32U.jpg

Fits into the iPhone pouch perfect as well, great from when I'm travelling and just need that extra bit of protection from damage.

FQZHZlo.jpg

Couple of final points. I simply cannot see what makes this a "2nd". It looks perfect to me. There's some very very slight "roughness" on one side. You can't feel it but you can very slightly see it. That's being very very (very) fussy.

The only other thing I can think of is they changed the design. They now have a cutout where the SD card slots are.

The case is not tight fitting, it's snug so the player would certainly never slide out but you can easily remove the player when needed. That's what I needed, as I'm always adding music.

There's some slight padding to the material which makes it nice to hold.

Overall, yes they are pricey but the attention to detail is really good. I'm glad I made the purchase.

EDIT: Sorry images came through full size, I'll try and shrink them later on :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,440 of 2,532
how can you label vinyl as leather with a straight face? /guy

Well that's the thing, I purchased the "PU" version of the case but all the packaging shows leather on it. So judging by the feel and smell of the case they've sent me the leather one instead.

Either way for the price ($42) I'm happy. Compared to some of the other sky high prices for these cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back