Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #781 of 2,535
How much Sugru did you use? about a pea or so?

Probably not even that. I took off about a pea size but there was a bit of surplus. I rolled it out with a rule so it was uniform and about 1mm thin then used tweezers to place it. I then used a sewing pin to press it in and my finger to remove surplus. I finished it with the thread end of the pin to get a nice finish. :thumbsup:

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #782 of 2,535
Whoohoo! 

Got a call from Audio-T yesterday saying they'd got my player in. Had to do quite a bit of juggling with sleep patterns to do the pickup as I was due to start my night shifts.

I managed it though, and after what has felt like an eternity, have now managed to get a little bit of time to listen to a few tunes whilst working.

First impressions of my own player are identical to what i auditioned at the Bristol show. Basically a forward, fluid, open sound. I've got both my ER4Ps and Triple-Fi 10s with me tonight and am currently listening on the ER4Ps.

I think I'm going to enjoy this player  
biggrin.gif

To the other chap waiting, get in touch with Audio-T and they will try and get you sorted quicker.

Tony.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #785 of 2,535
Could somebody with better ears than me test the XDP-300R, UAPP with Tidal MQA.

The new UAPP update passes MQA to the DAC as long a "bit perfect" is selected in the options, so its possible the Pioneer is unfolding the MQA.

I just can't tell the difference, normal lossless and MQA sound the same to me for the only available album I have to test and there is no light like there is on the Meridian DACs to make it easy
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #787 of 2,535
Thanks. Think I will just go with the flow

i have had the xdp300r since last october

Theres absolutely zero difference in sound quality after 200 hrs.. 

however going from a set of oppo pm3 unblanaced to the balanced connector with a home soldered cable has had a significant difference in both detail and power. theres much more oomph and headroom on balanced.

So dont expect anything major to happen on burn in..i just dont hink there is any...but headphone choices are the most important thing to consider with this player

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #788 of 2,535
  Could somebody with better ears than me test the XDP-300R, UAPP with Tidal MQA.

The new UAPP update passes MQA to the DAC as long a "bit perfect" is selected in the options, so its possible the Pioneer is unfolding the MQA.

I just can't tell the difference, normal lossless and MQA sound the same to me for the only available album I have to test and there is no light like there is on the Meridian DACs to make it easy
bigsmile_face.gif

a very difficult ask(currently) unless someone has a powered mqa dac ?

the pioneer point blank refuses to recognise the meridian  explorer 2.. so wont output  anything to it.. i feel its because it takes its power from the usb.( it doesnt even power it)
i have a cheapish creative E5 dac and that works great ( built in battery)
and again i have an audiolab 8200dq which is not recognised by the player, it sees it and rejects it..

this pioneer is extremely fussy with offboard dacs

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #789 of 2,535
  a very difficult ask(currently) unless someone has a powered mqa dac ?

the pioneer point blank refuses to recognise the meridian  explorer 2.. so wont output  anything to it.. i feel its because it takes its power from the usb.( it doesnt even power it)
i have a cheapish creative E5 dac and that works great ( built in battery)
and again i have an audiolab 8200dq which is not recognised by the player, it sees it and rejects it..

this pioneer is extremely fussy with offboard dacs

I contacted UAPP support and they said as long as "bit perfect" is selected in the options it will pass the audio stream directly to the Pioneer's DAC.

A lot depends on the signal path within the XDP-300R, but if MQA data is passed untouched to the Pioneer hardware it may be detecting this and decoding it internally, I've done a lot of listening to MQA vs HiFi on the Pioneer via UAPP over the last few days and I just can't tell, at least not a night and day difference.

The MQA does sound a little better but that may simply be the higher bitrate and the fact that some MQA albums are 48Khz

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #790 of 2,535
I contacted UAPP support and they said as long as "bit perfect" is selected in the options it will pass the audio stream directly to the Pioneer's DAC.

A lot depends on the signal path within the XDP-300R, but if MQA data is passed untouched to the Pioneer hardware it may be detecting this and decoding it internally, I've done a lot of listening to MQA vs HiFi on the Pioneer via UAPP over the last few days and I just can't tell, at least not a night and day difference.

The MQA does sound a little better but that may simply be the higher bitrate and the fact that some MQA albums are 48Khz

I have ordered a y splitter to try to power the explorer 2 dac .
If it works ill buy uapp and see what passesthrough to it
(. Blue/white lights etc)

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #791 of 2,535
I have ordered a y splitter to try to power the explorer 2 dac .
If it works ill buy uapp and see what passesthrough to it
(. Blue/white lights etc)

If you can get the XDP-300R to recognise the DAC, then using UAPP you will get a blue MQA light, there are users that have this working with other Android devices.

When you have this working, please try without the Explorer 2 and see if you can hear a difference between the Pioneer and the Explorer 2 when playing MQA.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #792 of 2,535
If you can get the XDP-300R to recognise the DAC, then using UAPP you will get a blue MQA light, there are users that have this working with other Android devices.

When you have this working, please try without the Explorer 2 and see if you can hear a difference between the Pioneer and the Explorer 2 when playing MQA.

Will do, but results will be inconclusive as im most definitely hearing the differences in the dacs and their amps as opposed to the mqa non mqa decoding differences.
I will however let you know my subjective opinion on quality differences.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #793 of 2,535
New member here.  Have had my 300R for about an week.  Have Oppo PM-3's on order and a balanced 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable on the way as well.  Question - if an Oppo HA-2SE headphone amplifier and DAC were used in tandem with the 300R, would a balanced output be throughput via the 300R USB output?  Would adding the HA-2SE be overkill?  Thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #794 of 2,535
I don't understand what you mean exactly. The headphone outputs have nothing to do with the digital USB output.
Oppo HA-2SE only has a single ended 3.5mm output.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #795 of 2,535

​Sorry, I was trying to convey that I'm mainly interested in using the 300R balanced - 300R/PM-3's/balanced cable achieve that end - that's what I have now.  If the Oppo HA-2SE was connected to the 300R via the USB output, I'd have to use the Oppo HA-2SE 3.5 mm output for the headphones (I understand I'd need a new balanced cable for this configuration) - would the signal passed from the 300R to the HA-2SE then to the head phones still be balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back