Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #812 of 2,535
does it attemp to charge your connected dac?? This is would a handsome music transport but the lack of optical and or coax worries me about battery issues say like with my ifi BL S7 pairing

Yes, if I do not switch Vantam into non-charging mode (there is a special switch on the dac) it eats Pioneer very fast. 

I have tried to replace Pioneer with AK100 II but Pioneer's signal via usb is much better than AK via optical output.
On the other hand Vantam use the same micro usb port for charging - so Optical would be for sure preferable for both just to free ports for charging in parallel if needed. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #814 of 2,535
OK, I just got one of these. Was excited to try it. Added 2 cards I have at home SanDisk Ultra 200gb, and a Samsung 128 Evo Plus (didn't do any formating, in the past I never had to with my other DAPs). Connected it to my PC downloaded the X-DAP Link software. Have music on my main PC drive, also on 2 external hard drives. Have been using a Pono (and before that iBasso DX90 and Fiio X3), and generally use JRiver22 for PC music management. I have tried to load music onto both cards, also into the internal memory, can't get it to work. Have tried drag/drop from the folders on the PC, have tried the X-DAP, have tried JRiver. The first 2 put a folder of the album into the Pioneer, but it is empty. The JRiver just gives me an error and won't transfer. I have TIDAL on it, seems to work fine (streaming).
A second side, minor issue is the "protector sheet" that came on the unit. I can't find a corner to lift it and remove it, but for now it makes an OK screen protector.
(I went through about a third of this thread so far, could take days for me to finish it all, apologies if someone has already dealt with this in the parts I didn't get to yet).
Thanks for any help.

One last question-I have Poweramp, Hibymusic (which I've never used), Neutron, UAPP all on my HTC10 phone (read about them all one time or another), though I actually just stream radio through my phone. Are these useful on the Pioneer? Better than the included software?

Thanks again.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #816 of 2,535
Having a bit more success, JRiver sends stuff over to the Pioneer SOMETIMES, sometimes it tell me there is no room on the cards (even though they are not 1/4 filled). Tagging is hit and miss, have to go back and fix stuff often. And Poweramp seems better able to integrate music as I add it then Neutron.
Nice toy to play with...

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #817 of 2,535
Anyone compare the XDP-300R against it's cousin the DP-X1A?

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #818 of 2,535
From what I understand/have read, they are pretty much the same internally.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #819 of 2,535
Anyone compare the XDP-300R against it's cousin the DP-X1A?

To me they sounded more or less identical on the IEM from balanced outputs. Maybe a little bit more bass on the X1A.  
Could be different on the SE or with other phones.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #820 of 2,535
From what I understand/have read, they are pretty much the same internally.

To me they sounded more or less identical on the IEM from balanced outputs. Maybe a little bit more bass on the X1A.  
Could be different on the SE or with other phones.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, if they are fairly similar sound wise I think I prefer Pioneer for the look of the UI and shape of the device.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #821 of 2,535
Thanks guys.

Yeah, if they are fairly similar sound wise I think I prefer Pioneer for the look of the UI and shape of the device.

With the X1A you get 64 Gb of internal memory and different capacitors (should be, they are different from DP-X1, at least) I guess which may perform better with power hungry phones, who knows..

My IEMs are 1-2-3 BA drivers - no problem with driving them with the Pioneer (frankly speaking, Pioneer is mainly used as a transport rather than a DAP in my case - perfect signal via usb)

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #822 of 2,535
  hi guys... im planning on getting this... i have the fiio X5 iii.... has anyone compared the 300R to X5iii? 

thanks guys :) 

Recently I've had the X5 III for reviewing purposes. Overall I still prefer the Pioneer but if you need a stronger amp and don't want to carry around anything extra I can imagine that's a +1 for the FiiO.
For me the mids on the X5 III sounded a bit thin, hollow but with a wider soundstage. When listening balanced the hollowness was largely gone.
Unfortunately I could not find enough time to give them a thorough head-to-head.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #824 of 2,535
Recently I went unbalanced and I noticed the batt reduced a little bit faster. Is this to be expected?

Yes, you have 150 mW per channel now vs 75 mW in SE.
Switch to ACG mode while being balanced - it remains balanced but with 75 mW (if extra power is not needed).
Although I'm not sure if it makes the battery last longer as in SE mode. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back