Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2,101 of 2,532
Thanks man this is extremely helpful. Exactly what I wanted to know. Is there a particular brand of epoxy glue you used?

Not really any 5 minute epoxy will do. I did attempt to apply epoxy with a syringe but it wouldn't go through the needle. Most UV cure glues come with a thin needle anyway so it will be a lot easier to get a tidier result. I think if I was doing this again I would use this type of glue.

Obviously this "mod" will make it difficult to remove the circuit board later and probably ironically, invalidate your warranty.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,102 of 2,532
so left my XDP-300R in the dinning table and for some reason my grandma tough it was a kind of dish object and put it in the sink and now is dead. i im looking for a a new DAP and was thinking to get the R6 or R3 +dragonfly red. has anyone have traied these two and how it compare to the XDP-300R? what u thing its gonna be the best SQ? R6 or R3+dfr?

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,103 of 2,532
so left my XDP-300R in the dinning table and for some reason my grandma tough it was a kind of dish object and put it in the sink and now is dead. i im looking for a a new DAP and was thinking to get the R6 or R3 +dragonfly red. has anyone have traied these two and how it compare to the XDP-300R? what u thing its gonna be the best SQ? R6 or R3+dfr?

Ouch!! That's likely to test the bonds of familial love! For what it's worth I haven't tried the Hibys, but I have just had to replace my XDP after the 3.5 jack failed. I got the Active CT10, based on it being widely praised for excellent value-for-money and because I decided I couldn't justify/afford throwing masses more cash at a high-end hi-res player. As such I was preparing myself either to hear very little difference with the XDP, or even being a bit disappointed with a downgrade. Couldn't have been more wrong - it's noticeably more dynamic, holographic and "fun" to listen to than the XDP. It's about half the size, it's beautifully built (although it's plastic) and it doesn't feel like it'll break every time I take it out the house. OS is good, maybe not as rich as the XDP as it's not full android, but it's equally more streamlined and feels less like a converted phone. Overall am very happy. definitely worth a look...!

(ps, I don't think it's waterproof though.... :) )

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #2,104 of 2,532
Ouch!! That's likely to test the bonds of familial love! For what it's worth I haven't tried the Hibys, but I have just had to replace my XDP after the 3.5 jack failed. I got the Active CT10, based on it being widely praised for excellent value-for-money and because I decided I couldn't justify/afford throwing masses more cash at a high-end hi-res player. As such I was preparing myself either to hear very little difference with the XDP, or even being a bit disappointed with a downgrade. Couldn't have been more wrong - it's noticeably more dynamic, holographic and "fun" to listen to than the XDP. It's about half the size, it's beautifully built (although it's plastic) and it doesn't feel like it'll break every time I take it out the house. OS is good, maybe not as rich as the XDP as it's not full android, but it's equally more streamlined and feels less like a converted phone. Overall am very happy. definitely worth a look...!

(ps, I don't think it's waterproof though.... :) )
I really doubt this CT10 is any better than pioneer and it cant be when 300r is an equipment from a higher shelf. I could only believe in higher dynamics (pioneer isnt very dynamic but I dont consider it as a con, rather different type of tuning). And I really doubt this CT10 can come close to pioneer when it comes to the quality of the soundstage (especially using balanced with ACG mode). I read a lot about LG V30 being better than the Mojo and other exagerated opinions. My V30 is not on the same level as 300r, while most of head fiers know that 300r is not on the same level as mojo (maybe pioneer has more air in the soundstage). Please do not mislead people.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,105 of 2,532
I really doubt this CT10 is any better than pioneer and it cant be when 300r is an equipment from a higher shelf. I could only believe in higher dynamics (pioneer isnt very dynamic but I dont consider it as a con, rather different type of tuning). And I really doubt this CT10 can come close to pioneer when it comes to the quality of the soundstage (especially using balanced with ACG mode). I read a lot about LG V30 being better than the Mojo and other exagerated opinions. My V30 is not on the same level as 300r, while most of head fiers know that 300r is not on the same level as mojo (maybe pioneer has more air in the soundstage). Please do not mislead people.

Errr, I’m not misleading anyone, merely giving a personal, subjective impression of two devices I own and have used extensively. If you don’t like my opinion that’s your own look-out chum, but given you clearly haven’t even heard the CT10, I suspect you might be on slightly thinner ice when it comes to having anything valid or interesting to say on this particular comparison. If you’re happy with your Pioneer, I am happy for you, but do try to allow others to express a view....

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #2,106 of 2,532
And for what it’s worth, single ended (which is the only comparison you can make given the Ct10 doesn’t do balanced), I actually enjoy the soundstage better on the ct10. So there. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,108 of 2,532
The CT10 is a fantastic little device but it can't hold a candle to the 300R, especially when running the 300R in balanced mode. Which I was able to do today for the first time thanks to a 4.4 female to 2.5 male adapter I got today. It's kinda reinvigorated my interest in the 300R and I intend to go out tomorrow and get some epoxy or glue to seal up the headphone jacks on it so I can use it without being paranoid. Considering the jack situation on the 300R, if I only had $300-400 to spend on a DAP I would certainly get the CT10 over the 300R for this reason alone.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,109 of 2,532
F76B8CE1-A53B-47F4-8C0E-7B6985AE3594.jpeg
Doing some comparisons last night I kinda was feeling like the 300R sounded better than my beloved ZX300. Thoughts?

Edit: just finished doing the epoxy mod to beef up the headphones outs. About as pleased with it as you could be with smearing sticky sh%t on your $700 DAP LMAO. Doesn't need to be pretty (and it isn't) it just needs to make me not cringe every time I remove or insert a headphone plug into the jacks. Now that I'm using the balanced out I'm actually quite pleased with the sound on this thing. I was quite underwhelmed with it the last few months using it in SE mode. Now I'm thinking it's more enjoyable than my ZX300.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #2,110 of 2,532
Good news, today I was thinking about zx300, if it would be better considering it has USB DAC functionality but I guess since I bought xdp-300 from a guy for just about 280 euro I guess there is no better deal.
One question, this guy says it used a 256gb micro SD card while specs say the maximum supported size is 200gb. What is the real limit?

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #2,111 of 2,532
Good news, today I was thinking about zx300, if it would be better considering it has USB DAC functionality but I guess since I bought xdp-300 from a guy for just about 280 euro I guess there is no better deal.
One question, this guy says it used a 256gb micro SD card while specs say the maximum supported size is 200gb. What is the real limit?

Well I have one 200GB and one 400GB card in mine. No issues matey.

Sandisk brand. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mi...549447960&sr=8-3&keywords=400gb+micro+sd+card

Dropped by another £30 since I got mine, nice one.

I'm probably looking at getting another 400GB and using the 200GB in my android phone. I bought a Samsung card for that and it's probably just bad luck but I'm losing random files and photos are being damaged on it. Need to get rid of the thing. lol

The beauty of these players though is the swappable nature of the cards so maybe I'll use the 200GB card for music I listen to less often, music my parents like, etc! lol

About every ten hours of listening I get a very minor sound glitch, maybe for less than a tenth of a second. Whether that's the player buffering or something I don't know. However having said that, I've listened to the player for the entire weekend whilst I was away with no problems. Could just be a one off or maybe the player software trying to update the library.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,112 of 2,532

I've got two 256gb cards in mine, Samsung Evos, and never had a problem, work like a dream. I'm seriously tempted to get a 400gb, but worry that - once the 300r bites the dust for whatever reason, its replacement won't be able to handle anything that big.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,114 of 2,532
One question, this guy says it used a 256gb micro SD card while specs say the maximum supported size is 200gb. What is the real limit?[/QUOTE%
Got to 400GB SanDisks in mine running with no probs

Got 2 x 400GB SanDisks in mine running with no probs

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,115 of 2,532
ok, thanks, actually many modern android devices start to accept up to 2TB external cards. so if you stick to android, they should be able to handle them.

I think most manufacturers just stick to what they've tested with and that's what they quote in the literature and guidelines.

The only difference between a DAP and a phone is the player is constantly reading the data, so that's why I would recommend a good make if you can.

I have a friend at work that constantly buys cheap no-name brands on eBay for his DAP and phone and then complains when he has issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back