Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,831 of 2,535
My querry was only on pure sound terms. If I plug my headphones to mojo, and to the pioneer playing the same mp3 file say in the mojo case from usapp pro on Android, which one would sound better? I am only interested in knowing which device "sounds" Better for the same song.

I personally think no one will feel the difference if blind test is made. And what does "better" definition is? What sounds better for me may sound worst for you.

I purchased Onkyo DP-X1A (twin brother or Pioneer) and believe it sounds fantastic on my Shure SE846. Onkyo can't drive my Oppo PM1 and PM3 cans with authority which is why I use those with A&K Kann which also sounds great.

If Pioneer is able to drive your headphones or IEM who bother adding a DAC?

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,832 of 2,535
I personally think no one will feel the difference if blind test is made. And what does "better" definition is? What sounds better for me may sound worst for you.

I purchased Onkyo DP-X1A (twin brother or Pioneer) and believe it sounds fantastic on my Shure SE846. Onkyo can't drive my Oppo PM1 and PM3 cans with authority which is why I use those with A&K Kann which also sounds great.

If Pioneer is able to drive your headphones or IEM who bother adding a DAC?
Better is subjective, agreed. I have the ak70 and the jds labs c5d now. Since I work from home these most of the days, I don't need exactly a player to carry around my playlist.
I hear no difference when the AK 70 is connected to the PC (foobar+wasapi)as a dac playing song vs playing the same song stored on AK 70. So in my case my PC is not degrading the sound compared to the player. While AK has slightly more details in the midrange, it's not neutral as the jds. Also it lacks power. Now I am looking for a "device" Which isn't bigger than xdp 300r so that I can potentially carry it around when needed. Out of mojo, jds labs, xdp 300r, mojo, which is more neutral? Which can provide the highest amount of details, which can match my beoplay h6(gen 1) the best? I don't use iems much.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #1,833 of 2,535
Better is subjective, agreed. I have the ak70 and the jds labs c5d now. Since I work from home these most of the days, I don't need exactly a player to carry around my playlist.
I hear no difference when the AK 70 is connected to the PC (foobar+wasapi)as a dac playing song vs playing the same song stored on AK 70. So in my case my PC is not degrading the sound compared to the player. While AK has slightly more details in the midrange, it's not neutral as the jds. Also it lacks power. Now I am looking for a "device" Which isn't bigger than xdp 300r so that I can potentially carry it around when needed. Out of mojo, jds labs, xdp 300r, mojo, which is more neutral? Which can provide the highest amount of details, which can match my beoplay h6(gen 1) the best? I don't use iems much.

Assuming you carry your smartphone with you anyways and if you don't mind lack of balanced output you could consider Oppo HA-2SE DAC instead of Mojo. It's half the price and I'm very happy with it connected to Galaxy Note 8. It drives everything I have, no issues.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #1,834 of 2,535
Or let me put it this way, which one should better with h6 playing a 320kbps mp3 file?

1. Xdp 300r
2. Samsung s8+ mojo
3. AK 70
4. S8 + jds labs c5d
5. Cayin i5

Better to me:
1. More details
2. Fast
3. Better extension to both ends of spectrum
4. More 3d soundstage, AK is less 3d compared to jds imo, but AK has better midrange.
6. At least enough power to drive the beoplay h6 gen 1. The AK needs to get past volume level 110/150 to get some bass out of it. With iems it's good though.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,836 of 2,535
I have the Pioneer and the Mojo. I really like the sound quality of the Pioneer, but for me the Mojo sounds better (more detailed, better low end).
I think I can go for the Mojo instead of the Pioneer as with my current other devices available (phone, and headphone) Mojo should bring the best sound possible at the limited budget.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,838 of 2,535
I recently auditioned and bought a Mojo and paired it with my Pioneer 100r- works with streaming Spotify (yes this works), Tidal and storage on micro sd through UAPP is fantastic when you follow the suggestions of the Mojo forum. There is no comparison with using the Pioneer alone with high quality hp's- Utopia, i4, XC, etc. The Pioneer dac and amp (I don't have the 300r) are not in the same league as the mojo. In my opinion Mojo rivals much more expensive desktop dacs. Pairing the Mojo with your DAP is a no brainer. I know I sound like I've been brainwashed.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,839 of 2,535
Hi I dont know if anyone else has put this in the forum but I have a balanced pair of headphones connected. The player defaults to the balanced mode but in order to activate it you have to click onto ACG and then back to balanced. The sound difference is pretty amazing.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,840 of 2,535
Hi I dont know if anyone else has put this in the forum but I have a balanced pair of headphones connected. The player defaults to the balanced mode but in order to activate it you have to click onto ACG and then back to balanced. The sound difference is pretty amazing.

I can't say I've noticed that behavior but then my preferred balanced mode is ACG.

When you say it sounds amazing do you mean louder, or something else?

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,841 of 2,535
Well...im no expert on this but it is definitely louder and sounds much more open. It is a shame it doesnt work straight away and you have to skip off and back on to it again. Many a time I have forgot and then realised after about an hour's play :).

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,843 of 2,535
Who said anything about a hidden mode? There are two options 'balanced' and 'acg'. The player is defaulted to balanced but on my model in order to activate 'balanced' I have to select 'acg' and then select 'balanced'.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,845 of 2,535
From what ive observed there is a a difference goimg from acg to bal and vice versa. But if youre on 3.5 and switching acg on, theres no difference. ACG only works on balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back