Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #166 of 438
I felt that I heard improvement over the first three weeks, which is to say: over 30-40 hours of listening to fairly diverse and often energetic music.

This is my first set of high end headphones.

The sound is great out of the box, just curious if it gets better. I guess I'll have to wait.

The sound is so realistic, these have such high resolution, I'm noticing alot of "faults" with many of my favorite tracks.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #167 of 438
Has anyone used cables other than the stock?

I'd like to get some cables made for these headphones but I'm not sure what the pin out is.

Can anyone confirm if any other dual 3.5mm trs to 4 pin xlr works on this headphone ? Possibly the Sundara cable?

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #168 of 438
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #169 of 438
Has anyone used cables other than the stock?

I'd like to get some cables made for these headphones but I'm not sure what the pin out is.

Can anyone confirm if any other dual 3.5mm trs to 4 pin xlr works on this headphone ? Possibly the Sundara cable?
I use a FAW Noir Hybrid XLR with them. (Terminated for Beyerdynamic T1)

Works flawlessly.

But the stock cables are great too.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #170 of 438
I use a FAW Noir Hybrid XLR with them. (Terminated for Beyerdynamic T1)

Works flawlessly.

But the stock cables are great too.

Have you tested those cables on a Hifiman Sundara or any other headphone with dual 3.5mm trs connections?

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #171 of 438
The oem Pioneer cables works on my Denon D9200 too.
Both,3.5 se und 2.5 balanced cable.

On my Quad Era-1 none of them is working bc the sleeve on the oem cables is not connected.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #172 of 438
The oem Pioneer cables works on my Denon D9200 too.
Both,3.5 se und 2.5 balanced cable.

On my Quad Era-1 none of them is working bc the sleeve on the oem cables is not connected.

Well I guess the question now is does the Hifiman Sundara cables work with the Denon or vice versa, getting closer in the chain.

Its the 6 degrees of Hifiman Sundara game lol.

I think its the same as the Sundara, 1 ring is null or redundant on either side but Iike to be sure before I spend money on expensive cables that can't be returned.

Emailed Pioneer customer service regarding the pinouts but well you know...

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #173 of 438
The layout of the pioneer oem cables on the cup side is

Tip = positive
Ring = negative
Sleeve = not connected

That's why the cable doesn't work on the Era-1, which use the sleeve as negative.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #174 of 438
The layout of the pioneer oem cables on the cup side is

Tip = positive
Ring = negative
Sleeve = not connected

That's why the cable doesn't work on the Era-1, which use the sleeve as negative.

Thats what I assumed since the Sundara is like that but thanks for confirming.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #175 of 438
I have been able to try Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads (designated for Beyer DT series and AKG K200&500 series) with SE-M5's. The fit and comfort are excellent, and the dimensions are similar to stock, but with a slightly larger inside opening and no slant. This offers a very good seal, and actually tightens the sound a tad, matching Focals in clarity and offering a much nicer projection of the soundstage, separation of instruments in more complex recordings, and a more even extension into the bass without boominess (read: Elegia-killers). With IFI Micro iDSD BL (XBass on), the airiness, space positioning and clarity are breathtaking, especially for classical music and jazz. I think this is as far as a search for better pads takes me. These Dekoni pads are it. The pads turned out to be too fatiguing on the tracks that have a lot of highs. Too much clarity can be a bad thing. I am back to the Brainwavz for the time beings, but will try Dekoni solid lambskin pad in the same style next. Will report thereafter.

On the pics you can see the Dekoni pads(mounted) and the Brainwavz XL pads (unmounted).

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #176 of 438
I have been able to try Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads (designated for Beyer DT series and AKG K200&500 series) with SE-M5's. The fit and comfort are excellent, and the dimensions are similar to stock, but with a slightly larger inside opening and no slant. This offers a very good seal, and actually tightens the sound a tad, matching Focals in clarity and offering a much nicer projection of the soundstage, separation of instruments in more complex recordings, and a more even extension into the bass without boominess (read: Elegia-killers). With IFI Micro iDSD BL (XBass on), the airiness, space positioning and clarity are breathtaking, especially for classical music and jazz. I think this is as far as a search for better pads takes me. These Dekoni pads are it.
Pics or didnt happen
I have been able to try Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads (designated for Beyer DT series and AKG K200&500 series) with SE-M5's. The fit and comfort are excellent, and the dimensions are similar to stock, but with a slightly larger inside opening and no slant. This offers a very good seal, and actually tightens the sound a tad, matching Focals in clarity and offering a much nicer projection of the soundstage, separation of instruments in more complex recordings, and a more even extension into the bass without boominess (read: Elegia-killers). With IFI Micro iDSD BL (XBass on), the airiness, space positioning and clarity are breathtaking, especially for classical music and jazz. I think this is as far as a search for better pads takes me. These Dekoni pads are it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Jk

Pics?

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #178 of 438
As i don't like this suede material on my head, do you think an all (p)leather pad will compete well with that hybrid (fenestrated) pad?
A lil bit more meat to the bone will be nice on the Sem5, but i'm scared of getting a boomy bass with. :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #179 of 438
As i don't like this suede material on my head, do you think an all (p)leather pad will compete well with that hybrid (fenestrated) pad?
A lil bit more meat to the bone will be nice on the Sem5, but i'm scared of getting a boomy bass with. :)

You can try the fenestrated lambskin Dekoni Elite if you do not mind some sound leakage. PU leather is fine, sound-wise, but I do not like the feel of it (gets a bit "sticky" after a while IMHO). I think that a solid Dekoni Elite lambskin will not sound more boomy than stock PU leather, and I have tried the lambskins designated for Fostex TH900 on SE-M5's. I just found them not quite thick enough for my taste.

For me the XBass on IFI Micro is key to getting the awesome sound signature on the SE-M5's. I tried it on their Hip Dac, and that was too boomy perhaps, but the Micro seems just right.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #180 of 438
Thank you.

I've the Dekoni for TH900 laying around, but the opening isn't what i was expecting.
It's just too small for my likings.
Will have a look at vesper for a suitable one, i think. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back