Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #181 of 438
I have been able to try Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads (designated for Beyer DT series and AKG K200&500 series) with SE-M5's. The fit and comfort are excellent, and the dimensions are similar to stock, but with a slightly larger inside opening and no slant. This offers a very good seal, and actually tightens the sound a tad, matching Focals in clarity and offering a much nicer projection of the soundstage, separation of instruments in more complex recordings, and a more even extension into the bass without boominess (read: Elegia-killers). With IFI Micro iDSD BL (XBass on), the airiness, space positioning and clarity are breathtaking, especially for classical music and jazz. I think this is as far as a search for better pads takes me. These Dekoni pads are it.

On the pics you can see the Dekoni pads(mounted) and the Brainwavz XL pads (unmounted).

Looks good.

How bout some filthy shots of the sexy magnesium base?

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #182 of 438
Thank you.

I've the Dekoni for TH900 laying around, but the opening isn't what i was expecting.
It's just too small for my likings.
Will have a look at vesper for a suitable one, i think. :)
I would be curious to hear about your Vesper match. I wish that Dekoni made semi-hybrids, with perforated inner and the rest in sold lambskin. The velour part is indeed a weak link in their hybrids. Vespers can be customized, and so you should be able to get whatever you want. :wink:

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #184 of 438
Watchu talking about, Willis?

You've taken her earpads off, you've seen that shiny sexy magnesium alloy earcup base.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. :joy::joy:

I have some ZMF cowhide earpads I should test on it, I'll post nudes pics when I get a chance.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #185 of 438
I am a gentleman: I avert my eyes. Can you imagine how hard it is to mount the pads without looking?

Since we are on the topic of what is underneath, do you happen to know whether the headband arches are made of plastic through and through, or whether there is a metal core within these?

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #186 of 438
I am a gentleman: I avert my eyes. Can you imagine how hard it is to mount the pads without looking?

Since we are on the topic of what is underneath, do you happen to know whether the headband arches are made of plastic through and through, or whether there is a metal core within these?

You're telling me you averted your eyes from this beautiful bare ass magnesium alloy?!?! YOU ARE GENTLEMAN LIAR!!

202111-02-04.jpg

Both bands of the headphone have metal, stuck some magnets to it to check.

band-02-04.jpg

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #187 of 438
Also pad rolled the ZMF oval cowhide earpads and the Cascadia Audio Impact pads.

The ZMF pads are a little bigger than stock and way deeper. Increase bass by about 6db, increase in sound stage, slightly less detail in the highs but more pronounced. Also had to increase the volume by about 20%.

The Impact pads are velour on the inside and lambskin on the outside. Slightly smaller and slightly less depth than the ZMF pads but still bigger and way deeper than stock. Sounds very similar to the stock suede pads but better in every category. Increase in soundstage, a little less that the ZMF pads. Either vocals seem to be slightly less pronounced or highs and other ranges in the mids came a bit more forward because I can hear more of the instruments, I can't tell which.

2021-012-04.jpg
2021-0112-04.jpg
20211-02-04.jpg
2021-02-04.jpg
202111w302-04.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #188 of 438
Thanks for showing the pads and sharing the assessments. These pads do seem very beefy! Are you getting any boominess in the lows with ZMF ovals?

(BTW: clever idea to use the magnets!)

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #189 of 438
Thanks for showing the pads and sharing the assessments. These pads do seem very beefy! Are you getting any boominess in the lows with ZMF ovals?

(BTW: clever idea to use the magnets!)

Zmf pads are the thickest leather I've ever seen.

Bass characteristics are sl the same as stock but just louder.

The bass on this headphone is so rich, textured, saturated, deep, full etc pads dont seem to have any effect on the character.

I would say its not boomy in any sense but my definition of boomy might be different than yours.

Sony mdr1a-m2 bass is boomy.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #190 of 438
Yup. I am quite flabbergasted that SE-M5's do not get the recognition for the best in class marvel that they are. Sure, they did not get hyped, but you would think the word would get around. I wish Oluv had reviewed them. I wonder if he would conclude that these are exceptional; I think he would. Not that this will be enough to encourage Pioneer to re-issue them. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #191 of 438
Yup. I am quite flabbergasted that SE-M5's do not get the recognition for the best in class marvel that they are. Sure, they did not get hyped, but you would think the word would get around. I wish Oluv had reviewed them. I wonder if he would conclude that these are exceptional; I think he would. Not that this will be enough to encourage Pioneer to re-issue them. :frowning2:

Yea definitely underrated.

I dont have alot of experience with headphones over $300.

I feel like these headphones have raised the bar for me.

Who's oluv?

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #192 of 438

You can find his other reviews through this. He does a great job of avoiding the BS that a lot of front line reviewers are peddling these days.

:)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #193 of 438

You can find his other reviews through this. He does a great job of avoiding the BS that a lot of front line reviewers are peddling these days.

:)

He asked why would you use a microphone plug on a headphone? :joy: :joy: :joy:

He doesn't have any gear with xlr inputs. I don't think he's familiar with higher end audio gear?

The channels I trust for reviews are the next best thing studio, porta.fi, currawong, I miss Tyll from Inner Fidelity, he was the most descriptive and most experienced, he was the best.

Best review of a headphone ever.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #194 of 438
Also pad rolled the ZMF oval cowhide earpads and the Cascadia Audio Impact pads.

The ZMF pads are a little bigger than stock and way deeper. Increase bass by about 6db, increase in sound stage, slightly less detail in the highs but more pronounced. Also had to increase the volume by about 20%.

The Impact pads are velour on the inside and lambskin on the outside. Slightly smaller and slightly less depth than the ZMF pads but still bigger and way deeper than stock. Sounds very similar to the stock suede pads but better in every category. Increase in soundstage, a little less that the ZMF pads. Either vocals seem to be slightly less pronounced or highs and other ranges in the mids came a bit more forward because I can hear more of the instruments, I can't tell which.

2021-012-04.jpg2021-0112-04.jpg20211-02-04.jpg2021-02-04.jpg202111w302-04.jpg
Thank you for this pad rolling.
The ZMF pads looks promising.

You've said that the vocals gets slightly less pronounced with both to the stock ones without have an impact to the mids generally, which isn't a good sign imo.
The vocals with the stock pads can sound a little boxy in comparison to the Era-1 or D9200.
Great for a better feel to the stage, but worse to such vocal monsters mentioned above. :wink:

But i'll give it it try to listen by myself. :)

Sadly there's no dealer for Zmf pads here in Europe anymore, big thanks to brexit. :see_no_evil:

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #195 of 438
Thank you for this pad rolling.
The ZMF pads looks promising.

You've said that the vocals gets slightly less pronounced with both to the stock ones without have an impact to the mids generally, which isn't a good sign imo.
The vocals with the stock pads can sound a little boxy in comparison to the Era-1 or D9200.
Great for a better feel to the stage, but worse to such vocal monsters mentioned above. :wink:

But i'll give it it try to listen by myself. :)

Sadly there's no dealer for Zmf pads here in Europe anymore, big thanks to brexit. :see_no_evil:

Well, I think you would know better than me regarding any comparison to the high end stuff. I haven't had the pleasure of sampling those yet.

I think it has to do with the increase in depth of the earpads. Since the driver is further away from the ear with both the zmf and impact pads. It seems to increase soundstage, midrange and bass but vocals take a slight step back or maybe not back but more even level. Nothing changes drastically though, the bass is the most affected but for the better, still maintains all of its good character. Take that with a grain of salt though because your taste may differ on what an acceptable level of bass is.

The stock level of bass for this headphone to me is just acceptable, I can appreciate the neutrality and accuracy but I prefer alot more. To me this headphone has perfect bass characteristics but just needs more of it, about 12-15db higher and it'd be spot on. The only thing lacking is impact which probably would come with the increase in bass power.

I'm sticking with the impact pads at the moment since they're the most comfy, maybe I'll roll again after a week or two to get a better sense of the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back