Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Oct 24, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #152 of 438
Finally I managed to get the Pioneer Monitor 5, and I am impressed with the way it sounds for a closed back headphone. To improve the low end a Dekoni leather earpads with holes or without and pure silve cable will work? Did anyone experienced with better cables and Dekoni earpads? Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #154 of 438
Original Pioneer that are not genuine leather on the left and on headphones already installed the sheepskin leather.

20201029_124442.jpg

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #155 of 438
I snagged a brand new SE-M5 on eBay a short while back and have been comparing them to my Focals (Elegia and Elear). I drive all of these with my MacBook and my iPhones (new SE and old SE), often via an IFI Hip Dac. The XBass on the Hip Dac is an awesome feature for both the Focals and and the SE-M5. There were only a few occasions where I preferred to switch it off. I chose to use the balanced connection between the Pioneers and the Hip Dac and have not noticed any adverse effects of it.

As many have mentioned, the clamping force of the Focals is definitely greater than that of SE-M5, and in particular the Focals have better isolation and are easier to use in bed :). While the Pioneers are more heavy, I have not experienced this as an issue.

I tried the included pads and the Dekoni Elite solid sheepskins (which are definitely thinner than the stock pads), and in the end settled on the artificial leather stock pad version as best sounding.

To me the Focals are definitely more crisp and clear, but the sound stage is more condensed and the positioning is definitely "in your face". This works well for a lot of my music, but for classical and other instrumental, ambient or acoustic music the SE-M5 offers a superior sound stage and instrument separation, providing a smoother less crispy clarity which I prefer in this setting. In some other cases the SE-M5 gave me an impression that I was "listening through a veil" and this detracted from the sense of the immediacy of the experience.

In the end, I am keeping the Elegia and the SE-M5, and have put up the Elear up for sale on the board.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #156 of 438
Congratulation for your purchase. :beerchug:

I know you in regard to the overall sound of the SEM5.
Along with your post, i've to listen to them again and will compare it with my D9200.

After a brief listening there's on thing i can say definitely:

The SEM5 is a bit shouty in the mid-mids (^^) and very demanding for power.

Tested them on the Mojo and on my R28.
(Surface Pro 7 using Tidal over usb, R28 in OS8 mode)
Need to raise the volume on the Mojo few steps (7-8) compared to the D9200.
Level 60 out of 99 on the R28 (SEM5) and 57 (D9200)(level matched with an app), which means around 10% power (super exponential volume characteristic of the R28 ).

I've to say, my benchmark headphone is my Era-1, which i've level match at 69 out of 99 on the volume dail. :wink:
All further impressions are coming from listening with the R28.

Puuh. What should i say.
Listen to Justin Timberlake - Say something, the SEM5 didn't show his capabilities on the Mojo, on the R28 you'll get a sense of.
The bass, impact and quality, on the R28 is better to that from the Mojo, which mirrors the massive power the R28 has.
Never expect that this way before.

The presentation of the sound is more like being on a concert(SEM5) than in a club (D9200) while listen to Frozen Crown - Fail no more from The Fallen King.
None of the instruments nor the voices were pronounced over the others on SEM5, while the mids on the D9200 are a bit emphasized.
Some may like that, some don't. :wink:

I think the SEM5 will benefit from a slightly increases eq at around 2k by 2 or 3 db to bring the voices a bit in front, what i prefer.
But on the whole sound presentation (out of the R28) there's nothing more to add, imo.

It is not in your face like the D9200, who isn't, compared to other closed back headphones. :wink:
In that regard, i like both sound presentations for different reasons and purposes.

Listening to Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage, i find the "laid back" presentation on vocals more pleasant on the SEM5.

Playing Kamelot - Forever live from the 013, the D9200 is really engaging while the SEM5 has a more natural performance for that Live show.
Nonetheless, i like both for its own. :)

Continue with Tom Day - Who we wants to Be, what stands out was the sound of the xylophone, which sounds more natural and pleasant from the SEM5.
On the D9200, it reaches some piercing tones and a somewhat overemphasized metallic scheme.
The percussion, starts at 1:52, sounds more distant on the D9200, which imo isn't right in this track. (Crosstested with the Era-1.)

Next one is Krewella - Love outta me.
The quality of the bass is there on both headphones, while the impact on the D9200 is better, the kickbass sounds better on the SEM5.
Really strange to me. :thinking:
Details on the D9200 are outstanding thou.
The Era-1 has more low bass and goes deeper than the other 2.
Really exciting.

After a little break to acclimate my hearing i was listening to Alex Clare - You'll be fine from Tails of Lions.
A smooth track with nice details, great voice and good layering.
SEM5 shows deeper lows and better control than D9200 on this track.
Separation and layering are a strength of the D9200, but SEM5, despite his more mellowed presentation, is really close.
D9200 presents more clarity, imo.

Next round, i'd throw in Tingvall Trio - Hamnen from the Album "Beat".
Uuh, this is a really tough one.
Can't decide which one i'd prefer on this track.
The stage is broader on the D9200, but my thoughts are a bit confused with both headphones.
With the SEM5 it seems that i'd be closer to the double bass than the piano, which is exactly the opposite on the D9200. ^^
The piano sounds great on both, but the D9200 hasn't as much dynamic as the SEM5 in its presentation.

Listen to Sarah Jarosz - Greenlights from Undercurrent is somewhat different on them, but i like both.
Again, the double bass is more prominent on the SEM5 with a lot more body to it and sometimes a bit to much, imo.
On the D9200 it's more balanced, i'd say.
The guitars are better layered on the SEM5 with a more holographic imaging' downside is that the higher tones of the guitars could be a bit peaky, not so on the D9200. Stage on the D9200 is more compressed in comparison to the SEM5.

One song i've to listen to many times back and forth is Creation of Earth from Thomas Bergersen's Album "Sun", and right from the start i got shivers all over my body. :)
The SEM5 is a great performer here with a very "natural" presentation of the mood.
On this track, the D9200 is a bit too much forward in comparison to the Pioneer, but someone may say that the Pioneer is a bit shouty in this part, which leads me to look at a large auditorium with the SEM5 rather than with D9200 being in front of the stage.
Clarity and imaging is great on both, but the D9200 excels in that regard.
The SEM5 delivers a smoother presentation here.

Great example for their diversity is the track Hunting high and low from Stratovarius' Album "Infinite".
While the D9200 is playing this track like you're in the studio yourself, the SEM5 will bring you to a live concert.
The Denon on this track is, well, very "hunting" and forward. :)

Another song which is fixed in my listening to various headphones is Hold Mig Fast from Medina's Album "Grim".
The lows in this track in combination with here amazing voice are somewhat stirring.
Both headphones show great rumble down low, with the D9200 in front by a bit (both make use of their large cellulose nano fiber drivers at its best) with more weight to the very deep notes.
I've to say, none of them has the impact the Era-1 brings to the table, but they've this lovely smooth reverberation, only a good dynamic driver is capable of. :)

I've to stop here bc i'm in the mood to write a book about, i guess. Haha. :smile:

You've to give the SEM5 some time and listening to acclimate with its nature, i'd say.
It's a great headphone that stands side by side to such high-end closed backs like the D9200.
The comfort is really good. Despite the weight, it distributes it pretty well and after some time it tends to disappear bc of the big soft and plush earpads.

The Pioneer Monitor 5 is meant to be driven properly and shows a mellow mid presentation with well extended bass down low and good detail retrieval, imo.
Acoustic music and classical are my preferred genres with, but it plays very well on pop too, where it is showing a relaxed character.
The D9200 is a great allrounder and stands on his own, i'd say.
Easily driven and with a bit emphasized mids, it goes down to the really lows without any effort, though not overbearing like its little brother, the D7200.
My preferred genre for is metal, edm, aaah forget about, just throw all you have in your arsenal at. ^^
Oh, and it's a great headphone for listening at low volume levels.

Still 2 keepers in my small collection. :thumbsup:

Have a great day and keep listening to good music.

Chris

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #157 of 438
I am looking to trade my Focal Elegias (excellent condition; work perfectly; everything included) for Pioneer SE-Monitor5 in similarly excellent condition. Let me know if you want to trade! :)

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #159 of 438
Could you or any other owner do me a huge favour and list the inner height and depth of the earpad?
Don’t want to blow a bunch of dosh on these only to find my big ears don’t fit..

56mm x 61mm x 32mm (Velours; fresh)

I can also measure the fake leather ones, but it will be the same ballpark, I reckon.

Since the cups are huge, one can easily accommodate a 65mm (inner diam) aftermarket/alternative maker pad, but depending on a pad the sound signature may change a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #160 of 438
56mm x 61mm x 32mm (Velours; fresh)

I can also measure the fake leather ones, but it will be the same ballpark, I reckon.

Since the cups are huge, one can easily accommodate a 65mm (inner diam) aftermarket/alternative maker pad, but depending on a pad the sound signature may change a bit.

Sadly I no longer have these, but I'll chime in and say that they were extremely comfortable. I'm sensitive to my ears touching anything and these were never an issue for me.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #161 of 438
So, today I have said good bye to my last pair of Focals (not long ago I had three).

When I received HD58X for my BD a few years back, I was impressed. A VW Passat-impressed. When I bought my first Focal, I was suddenly aware how much more (fun) was possible. Like Audi TT-aware. When I purchased the SE-Monitor5's a few weeks ago, I suddenly found myself in a Porsche Panamera.

After some experimentation I have settled on velour pads over the fake leather ones, as they give a more neutral response with my IFI Hip Dac (with xBass on). I have acquired a pair of Dekoni Elite lambskins (designed for Fostex TH900), which fit fine but are thinner and have a slightly smaller inner opening. They do OK, but not as well as stock. Would be nice to find something like a Dekoni Hybrid with close to the Pioneer stock dimensions, but I do not think they exist.

Has anyone tried the ZMF pads? There are some that seem like they may be worth a shot.

Also, I have not seen this mentioned, but SE-M5 are angled in such a way that the cups (even without the pads), and hence the drivers, are further apart in the front than in the back. This is the opposite of Focal's geometry, for example. So the sound in SE-M5's seems to be directed past the opening of the ear canal, rather than into the opening. This may be part of the secret of the wide staging and the airy feel of the SE-M5's.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #162 of 438
Hehe.
I like the car analogy. ^^
Have to agree, but it depends strongly on the amp how they'll sound, i'd say.

The dekoni elite sheepskin (TH900) didn't impressed me much on my D7200/D9200. Even the stock pads on the Denons, while somewhat ear shaped opening, fits my ears better.
The oem pleather pads of the SEM5 are the best i've had on my ears by now. (comfortwise) :thumbsup:

Yeah, the angled drivers will have a hugh impact on that, in combination with the large space in the cups.
The drivers of the Beyerdynamic T1.2, for example, are angled similar but with more degree.

Thank you for the suggestion of Zmf pads. I'll keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #163 of 438
Another report. I have tried out Brainwavz XL Sheepskin pads, which fit, and are quite interesting on the SE-M5's. Definitely give a good base, without being boomy, and present the soundstage with airiness, as they are huge in both inner and outer diameter. Because of the large baffle the isolation is very decent. The pads are not as refined in craftsmanship as the stock ones or the Dekoni Elites, but seem sufficient. So far I am enjoying them quite a bit.

Update: I cooled off on these after a while. The sound is good, but the inner diameter is just too big for these pads to stay on my ears; they slosh around too much. Having now tried Dekoni Elite Hybrids (designated for Beyer DT & AKG K200&500; see my post below), the Brainwavz are going into a box, or may be even on the market.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #164 of 438
Is there a certain amount of time for burn in before the sound settles in?

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #165 of 438
I felt that I heard improvement over the first three weeks, which is to say: over 30-40 hours of listening to fairly diverse and often energetic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back