Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #137 of 438
Never talk to me about open-backs, only for closed-backs!!
Dude, you literally asked...
Is the soundstage similar to some open-backs like HD800 or others?? Do they sound distant?? How the imaging was? Did you try to hear them at loud volume?? Did they distort at high volume and how's the sound leakage when you hear loud??
HD800 is an open back headphone.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #139 of 438
Yes, I asked If the SE-monitor 5 has similar soundstage to HD800 as for soundstage comparison.. I just told to not recommend me any open-backs because I don't like them, that's all...
Actually you said "Never talk to me about open-backs, only for closed-backs!!"
Which to me just sounds totally agressive and standoffish.
I simply don't think that's the best way of getting free information.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #141 of 438
Is the soundstage similar to some open-backs like HD800 or others?? Do they sound distant?? How the imaging was? Did you try to hear them at loud volume?? Did they distort at high volume and how's the sound leakage when you hear loud??
Hello, I never heard a HD800, my he 400i planar open back are similar in stage dimensions, the rest the pioneer is clearly better, with the sp2000 the sound is in the right distance, is not thin and distant sound, good layering, I heard at 90 to 100 in Se on sp2000cu and it was loud for me, no distortion, and when the owner of them was listening I only heard leakage when he tooked the phones of its head

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #145 of 438
What? Have a Tera player in the past and considering other daps better makes my fussy? Can you explain your statement?
Don't get me wrong I wasn't even talking about the Tera Player. I was saying that is kind of hard for you to like something, and I am the same, so I am glad that you like the closed back Pioneer.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #147 of 438
Could someone who owns these tell me what the diameter (in mm) of the earpad is please?
I'm trying to find affordable replacement pads for future reference. Thanks.
Hi PioneerPurist

The relevant posts by axle_69 between Apr 12, 2019 at 3:08 AM and Apr 18, 2019 at 5:31 PM could have the answers that you’re looking for here.

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #148 of 438
A hi-fi dealer in the UK told me that Pioneer said the SEM5 has been discontinued.

I'm glad that I was able to purchase a brand-new one from somewhere (still waiting for it to be delivered).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #149 of 438
Welcome to the club. :)
Btw.
The Dekoni Elite Sheepskin could fit the SEM5 perfectly bc they're a bit taller than the pads of my D7200.

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #150 of 438
Welcome to the club. :)
Btw.
The Dekoni Elite Sheepskin could fit the SEM5 perfectly bc they're a bit taller than the pads of my D7200.

:):thumbsup:
Cool, I've just bookmarked the webpage for them. Also I don't know if anyone has seen these yet but someone from China is selling SEM5 ear pads on Amazon for £27 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiCity-Replacement-Cushions-Se-Monitor5-Headphones-black/dp/B085VS3BPD), the quality is most likely inferior to the Dekonis but the seller claims they are "the same as the stock pads and don't change the sound"...

UPDATE:

Received the SEM5s today and listening to them now, they are certainly not a closed version of the SEM1 (I wasn't under the impression they were btw). Already noticing fine details in my favourite songs that I've never noticed before, even with the SEM1s. You can hear the bass more on the SEM1 but with the SEM5 it sounds more even across the frequency spectrum (hence Monitor lol). I might end up liking these more than the SEM1, especially because I can use them all times of the day despite how noisy my environment gets. So far so good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back