Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Sep 3, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #122 of 438
Anyone knows If their soundstage is comparable to HD820 and HD800s??
Hi, I haven't compared them, and it's been a while since I've heard either, but considering the Monitor5 is a closed-back, that's rather unlikely. The Master1, on the other hand, is definitely a strong contender for largest soundstage with a headphone.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #123 of 438
Headstage isn't comparable.
Despite the fact that the SEM5 is closed back the headstage of SEM5 is hugh and nice balanced, imo.
Plus they have great detail retrieval without becoming fatiqued over time.
Best relatively neutral closed back i've heard by now.
But they didn't have this emphasis in the lows someone would expect from a closed back.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #124 of 438
Headstage isn't comparable.
Despite the fact that the SEM5 is closed back the headstage of SEM5 is hugh and nice balanced, imo.
Plus they have great detail retrieval without becoming fatiqued over time.
Best relatively neutral closed back i've heard by now.
But they didn't have this emphasis in the lows someone would expect from a closed back.
So, no punch to sub-bass with these???

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #125 of 438
So, no punch to sub-bass with these???
There are so few headphones that have sub bass at all let alone punchy. Punchy really is more of a mid bass descriptor anyway. But to answer your question, no, this is not a headphone with strong subbass. Look at the Sony Z1R for that.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #127 of 438
Fostex TH-900 has a strong emphasis on subbass (and definitely more of it than Z1R).
I owned both, not sure the TH900 has more, but if it does, and it well might, I still think the Z1R had better quality sub bass. I also owned the D7000 and TH600 so I am familar with the Fostex/Denon sound.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #130 of 438
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #131 of 438
I heard the monitor 5 today with my SP2000CU and I was impressed with the spacious and layered sound with correct bass, not bass head but very lucid and correct bass, strings are awsome, very good pair of cans
Is the soundstage similar to some open-backs like HD800 or others?? Do they sound distant?? How the imaging was? Did you try to hear them at loud volume?? Did they distort at high volume and how's the sound leakage when you hear loud??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back