Apr 26, 2017 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 438

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
upload_2017-4-26_16-28-19.png

upload_2017-4-26_16-28-52.png

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/def/products/se-monitor5
http://pioneer-headphones.com/japanese/se-monitor5/
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Headphones/Audiophile/SE-MONITOR5

Pioneer has just launched a new high-end closed-back headphone called the SE-MONITOR5.

I had a chance to hear a prototype of it at CanJam SoCal. It uses a 50mm dynamic driver that's similar in design to the Fostex bio-cellulose driver, but I believe it uses a different cone material. While the prototype I heard was a little bright sounding, it definitely had the potential to sound great. The rep told me that the prototype didn't have the final tuning. Now that it has launched in Japan, I'm really looking forward to hearing a production version.

They will retail for $999 once they become available in the US.

Attachments

• 2_2.jpg
    2_2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 438
Curious to a comparison between these and Sony Z1R as both are closed back - and the Sony's are amongst the best closed back currently out there

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 438
Any links to some further information on these i.e. when they are up for sale etc.
I am also curious about the price mentioned above - $1000? I just had a look at Amazon and B&H - they want $2500 for the open back version - and these are not through third party sellers

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 438
Note this is not a closed version of the Master1 that retails for $2,500. It's a completely different headphone.

There is no closed Master1 as far as I know. What you see on Amazon is the open headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 438
Note this is not a closed version of the Master1 that retails for $2,500. It's a completely different headphone.

There is no closed Master1 as far as I know. What you see on Amazon is the open headphone.

I replied to you on the other thread. My Googling led to a number of Japanese articles which seem to indicate that this headphone will be the closed counterpart to the Master1.

I remain on the fence with my second go around of the Z1R. I still am in need of a closed back headphone to accompany my Utopias

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 438
another lovely looking can from pioneer. it's priced substantially lower than the se-m1, which is surprising if it is the closed-back version.

May 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 438
Seems to have been on the Pioneer pricelists in Europe since April. Price is 999€ including both velours and leather pads.
I ordered me a pair, will know Monday when they will be available. According to an article it should be in June for Europe.

May 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 438
May 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 438
So I heard these yesterday. Or at least some sort of prototype. Pioneer rep said they were still being fine-tuned and that the sound signature was "80 % there". Supposedly, the finished version was going to have, among other things, more bottom end. That statement surprised me, because, out of my Sony WM1A, I didn't think they lacked bass. I rather found the lower range to be a bit boomy and protruding into the mids. Lower mids and bass altogether too upfront for my taste and sort of unrefined. Unfortunately, I didn't find the highs that great either which sometimes tended towards the harsh and metallic side.

I was afraid beforehand that I'd massively regret having bought the Z1R before getting a chance to listen to these, but as closed cans go, I think I prefer the Z1R (then again, it costs twice as much). The Monitor5 had some heft to it and sounded very present, but also seemed muddier to me than the Sony and actually reminded me more of the Technics EAH-T700, which I wasn't too keen on for similar reasons. Comfort is decent. Isolation not stellar, but okay while music played. They come with three cables including balanced, which is kinda neat for the price.

Later in the day, I heard another Monitor5 in a "headphone bar" setup, and for whatever reason I felt a tiny bit more forgiving towards that unit. Problems seemed to be the same, but a fraction less annoying. If that was due to a different chain (components were hidden, but likely something chunkier than just my WM1A) or to "burn-in" or to me having already been acquainted with its shortcomings, I have no idea.

As said, please take these quick impressions with a huge grain of salt, as changes are apparently still being made. (The rep actually said with a wink that they were absolutely fine with the competition thinking it sounded like this, and that they only showed the Monitor5 in the first place because it had been "leaked". :grin: He also mentioned that they are now going for a June release, IIRC.)
Also, my WM1A might not have driven them properly. I had to put it in high gain and almost maxed out on the volume anyway.

I guess my expectations were a bit steep, because I hold the SEM1 in very high esteem, and while what I heard was certainly not a bad headphone in absolute terms, the magic just wasn't there for me. In any case, I'll definitely check out the finished product if only to see what changed.

May 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 438
I tried the SE-Monitor5 yesterday at Munich Hi-End show and found them rather impressive but I cannot go into details as I was too saturated with new impressions. Would be interesting to hear them again in more relaxed atmosphere.

May 31, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 438
from the pioneer se-m1 thread:
I got to try the monitor 5 at a show few weeks ago. I didn't like the sound. I found the highs too sharp. The mids were a bit more forward compared to my SEM1. Which I did like, I find the sem1 mids a tad recessed sometimes. Looking for a new cable for my SEM1.

Monitor5 are comfortable like the sem1 and look very nice. They had cloth pads when I tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back