Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #196 of 438
You're right. :)

Deeper pads will increase the bass attenuation and gives more room for reverberation.
In his stock form, there are not much closed back headphones which can rival with the SEM5 in that regard, i'd say.

As i've said in my little "shootout", the SEM5 sounds like being in a concert hall rather than in a club (D9200).
Listening to live recordings and acoustic music is a pleasure with.

In contrast to the D9200, the SEM5 will benefit even more from a good amp, especially in the lows.
There's a very noticeable difference with driving them from my V30, the Mojo or the R28.

I'm very curious how this will change (to the better, i hope) with the Zmf pads (lambskin/ cowhide) to increase my pleasure of listening to the SEM5. :L3000:

I am grateful that you initiated this comparison. :thumbsup:
Looking foreward to your long term impressions on that pad rolling and will heading for the ZMF pads as well soon.

All the best and keep listening to good music (and headphones)

Chris

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #197 of 438
He asked why would you use a microphone plug on a headphone? :joy: :joy: :joy:

He doesn't have any gear with xlr inputs. I don't think he's familiar with higher end audio gear?

The channels I trust for reviews are the next best thing studio, porta.fi, currawong, I miss Tyll from Inner Fidelity, he was the most descriptive and most experienced, he was the best.

Best review of a headphone ever.

If you take a look at his other videos you will see that Oluv has all of the essential equipment. What he said was that he sees no point in using balanced cables with headphones.
He is right, and this is an example of what I meant when I said that he does not peddle the traditional BS. Of course this snake oil BS, had it been peddled for SE-M5's, would have probably helped the sales. Just take a look at what Focal has done with the Elegias: swapped the pads, introduced some new color scheme and cosmetics, and voilà: Radiance. Same drivers, same cones, same housing, all of the new "tuning" done through the pads; but look at the hype! Anyway, to each his own, of course. Oluv does right by me.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #198 of 438
If you take a look at his other videos you will see that Oluv has all of the essential equipment. What he said was that he sees no point in using balanced cables with headphones.
He is right, and this is an example of what I meant when I said that he does not peddle the traditional BS. Of course this snake oil BS, had it been peddled for SE-M5's, would have probably helped the sales. Just take a look at what Focal has done with the Elegias: swapped the pads, introduced some new color scheme and cosmetics, and voilà: Radiance. Same drivers, same cones, same housing, all of the new "tuning" done through the pads; but look at the hype! Anyway, to each his own, of course. Oluv does right by me.

I disagree on your opinion of the Radiance but I'll leave that alone.

If you enjoy his content, cheers, not hating.

I'm only pointing out that he said "using a microphone cable for a headphone doesn't make any sense", which would indicate he's not familiar with higher end audio products. His reaction to seeing the xlr plug on a headphone most likely for the first time, would indicate that his knowledge is very minimal in this area.

Probably not the best person to refer to when you're trying to decide on making a purchase.

I know theres a big debate regarding whether or not running balanced makes a difference. There are alot of variables when it comes to that, its not as simple as "I can't hear the difference, so its the same". Sometimes there won't be a difference, sometimes a minute/small/big difference.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #199 of 438
I disagree on your opinion of the Radiance but I'll leave that alone.

If you enjoy his content, cheers, not hating.

I'm only pointing out that he said "using a microphone cable for a headphone doesn't make any sense", which would indicate he's not familiar with higher end audio products. His reaction to seeing the xlr plug on a headphone most likely for the first time, would indicate that his knowledge is very minimal in this area.

Probably not the best person to refer to when you're trying to decide on making a purchase.

I know theres a big debate regarding whether or not running balanced makes a difference. There are alot of variables when it comes to that, its not as simple as "I can't hear the difference, so its the same". Sometimes there won't be a difference, sometimes a minute/small/big difference.

Have you seen the launch video for the Focal Radiance on headphones.com YouTube channel? What I said I quoted (not verbatim) from that video, with the words spoken by Focal representatives.

As far as the plug, did you notice that Oluv had an adapter from a MrSpeakers headphone that came with an xlr plug? He knows his tuff. He just complained that there was not an adapter included with the Focals, and mused about using this sort of a cable in the first place. If you have ever seen Focal cables you may agree with his "flat iton" analogy.

Anyway, like I said, to each his own.

:)

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #200 of 438
Have you seen the launch video for the Focal Radiance on headphones.com YouTube channel? What I said I quoted (not verbatim) from that video, with the words spoken by Focal representatives.

As far as the plug, did you notice that Oluv had an adapter from a MrSpeakers headphone that came with an xlr plug? He knows his tuff. He just complained that there was not an adapter included with the Focals, and mused about using this sort of a cable in the first place. If you have ever seen Focal cables you may agree with his "flat iton" analogy.

Anyway, like I said, to each his own.

:)

Yes he had adapter from Mr. Speakers which he stated and I quote at 2:46, "I hope it fits here", he doesn't even know the name for an xlr connector. If he didn't happen to have that adapter, he wouldn't even know what to google search to buy it nor be able to even listen to the Focals.

I wouldn't trust this guy's review of a pencil.

Again, if you like him, enjoy...but this man knows less than me about audio and I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything else since he doesn't know the basics.

Just FYI, you should watch that launch video again because thats not what they said about the Radiance.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #202 of 438
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #203 of 438
People need reasons to buy new toys. They will hear what they want to hear. No need to burst their bubble. I had a bunch of Focals myself, and they are good headphones, but none of them in the sub-1K line are as good as the SE-M5's IMHO.

:wink:

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #204 of 438
The layout of the pioneer oem cables on the cup side is

Tip = positive
Ring = negative
Sleeve = not connected

That's why the cable doesn't work on the Era-1, which use the sleeve as negative.

Is the tip usually positive on a trs plug?

Is there a way to verify polarity with a multimeter?

I checked continuity on the stock 2.5 mm trrs plug and TR is right RS is left.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #205 of 438
Is the tip usually positive on a trs plug?

Is there a way to verify polarity with a multimeter?

I checked continuity on the stock 2.5 mm trrs plug and TR is right RS is left.
1. Yes, the tip on a trs is always positive.

On the se amp side, it's usually left+ on the tip, right+ on the ring and ground on the sleeve.

2. You can use the resistance measuring or the diode test of the mm to check the wiring.

T = right-
R = right+
R = left+
S = left-

It's a common AK/ FiiO scheme, i think.

Hope that helps. :)

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #206 of 438

On the se amp side, it's usually left+ on the tip, right+ on the ring and ground on the sleeve.

2. You can use the resistance measuring or the diode test of the mm to check the wiring.

T = right-
R = right+
R = left+
S = left-

Ordered a custom made cable, i hope it works.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #207 of 438

T = right-
R = right+
R = left+
S = left-

Is the Denon D9200 cable a mono 3.5mm cable like this ?
il_1588xN.2710724762_66d6.jpg

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #208 of 438
Yes, it is.
Should work with the SEM5 as well. :thumbsup:

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #209 of 438
I have rolled some more pads on SE-5's with some unexpected results.

I tried Dekoni Elite pads in solid lambskin and hybrid intended for Beyer DT and AKG, as well as the much cheaper Brainwavz XL round sheepskins. All of these fit fine, with the latter being quite huge in both the outside diameter and the ear opening.

Yet despite what seemed at first like a gargantuan pad, it is the Brainwavz that definitely reign supreme over all pads I have tried. The end up giving a huge soundstage, providing just enough reflections for the natural sound with beautiful body and detail, without upper register sibilance. They are not too thin and not too thick, with a decent fit and finish. The Dekoni's are better finished, but cannot match the SQ.

Basically, the SE-5's have such beautiful tuning that one should simply use the pads that just "get out of the way", and these Brainwavz do just that.

Of course the Brainwavz are very large and while they distribute the clamping force much better, they can slosh around a bit with sudden movement, which can at times happen involuntarily, caused by a good recording of a sound suddenly coming from behind (this has happened to me more than once!). The SE-5 will make you feel like someone is truly behind you, and your head will jerk, if you are surprised. This sloshing is minor and is not a problem at all.

I have noticed that with wear, because of the large baffle the pads shift into an optimal position for one's head shape, which is a big plus in my book. I have big ears and having enough room for them has reduced the fatigue.

If you want to test the imaging of your pads on SE-5, try Adrianne Lenker's Music For Indigo. What you get with the Brainwavz pads on that track will convince you, as it did me, of their awesomeness for the SE-5's.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #210 of 438
I got a question for you @Chris Kaoss

How does the Denon D9200/D7200s compare to the Pioneer SE-M5?

I've been really wanting the Kennerton Gjallarhorns for a while now but I need to demo it and I just wanted to get an idea of some other stuff out there.

I don't have alot of experience with high end stuff and to be honest, the Pioneers are the best I've ever heard and I can't imagine it getting any better unless its the same thing with more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back