Pioneer bad news. What's this world coming to?
Feb 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #61 of 98
No idea but I've seen videos on youtube comparing CRT and a display with input lag (in fact Pioneer plasma) It's qutie a bit for games you'll definietly notice it. Especially on something like Wipeout.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #62 of 98
This is so frustrating.

If the PS3 is on an average of 2-5 hours a day, about 4 or 5 days a week, and I've had it for about two years, do you think it will last long enough for me to wait until the price of OLED is affordable? And when do you think it will become affordable?

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #63 of 98
I have a 2007 42" Panasonic Plasma(and my blacks are superb, unlike the person that previously said their 2005 model had problems). I have had a PS3 and used it for 2 years. In addition, I watch a lot of channels that have big steady logos on the screen all the time. I have had zero burn in. Only temporary image retention from polarization, if say having a fixed image/logo on the screen for 5 hours a day for a week straight, which was always cleared away with a day of playing content with no fixed images/logos.

LCD just does not cut it for me for television use; they are not comparable to a good plasma yet. Even for games, I highly prefer the smooth contrast and huge color gamut that plasma provides. And the lack of any image blur/ghosting is another considerale benefit.

Perhaps if you play the SAME game every day, with virtually no other video sources or games to switch up the fixed pattern(s), then maybe you would have real burn in problems on say a modern Panasonic plasma. Otherwise, I just don't see any real reason for concern.

-Chris

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #64 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is so frustrating.

If the PS3 is on an average of 2-5 hours a day, about 4 or 5 days a week, and I've had it for about two years, do you think it will last long enough for me to wait until the price of OLED is affordable? And when do you think it will become affordable?

They're not even out yet, so if you think when it comes affordable it may be a few years. Look at LED LCD's as an example. What are you going to do with the PS3 until you buy a TV? Look at it?
biggrin.gif

I'd probably just buy a 32" LCD just to tide you over. They're virtually giving them away.

Quote:

Perhaps if you play the SAME game every day, with virtually no other video sources or games to switch up the fixed pattern(s), then maybe you would have real burn in problems on say a modern Panasonic plasma. Otherwise, I just don't see any real reason for concern.

Someone took a photo with long expsoure on his Panasonic plasma, it showed dozens of seperate areas of burn, from the various channels and games. True you won't see it with your own eyes, but it shows early sign of screenburn. Read another bloke he just watches one sports channel (hockey fan or something) and now he's got screenburn. When I watch stuff on my Pioneer plasma, I stretch 4:3 to fullscreen, since I spotted uneven wear early (could just see difference with the lights down) and even now it's still there albeit the areas have improved probably had 200 hours use full screen. My CI sets aspect on his installs of Pio plasmas to stretch 4:3 for the same reason. People were claiming on 9th gen Pio it's nigh on impossible to damage, those claims are false.

If you have to cycle between material to prevent burn in or uneven wear, it shows that burn is still possible. I wonder how many hours my Windows taskbar has been static? If I minimize taskbar, no screenburn or IR on the LCD.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #65 of 98
Sony has an 11" OLED they released in 2007, but it costs $2500 at crutchfield and its only 960x540 resolution. They had prototypes of a 27" in 2008 and Samsung had a 31" at the same event. They are saying the 27"/31" will be released in 2009 and 2010 but I'd be surprised if they followed through considering the economy, eg. In 2007 Toshiba scrapped their plans for OLED release in 09/10 because of mass production costs. And considering how expensive the 11" still is, I'd still say it will take at least another few years before it might even be an option for consumers. Of course I'd like to be proven wrong because I want one but personally I think its AT LEAST another 5 years before prices come down from having to be Bill Gates to afford one to maybe a multi-mill salary CEO
tongue.gif
But a side note, at the same event (CES 2008) Samsung was demoing a flexible oled tv which sounds totally cool
biggrin.gif

Edit: heres some drool footage about everything OLED
biggrin.gif
Notice how thin those damn things are
eek.gif

OLED TV Television

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #66 of 98
Thing is they're just trying to make them thinner and thinner, rather than concentrate on picture quality. Do you really need a TV to be 1 micro thick?

And being a Samsung it'll probably have crap buggy firmware and hardware faults.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #67 of 98
go check out the giant mitsubishi. its not even a flat screen, it looks like a tube or something. it was a floor model for 3 grand or new, i dont know.. it had the best picture in the store bar none. almost like i could reach into the screen, nothing we've seen yet.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #68 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogsonar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go check out the giant mitsubishi. its not even a flat screen, it looks like a tube or something. it was a floor model for 3 grand or new, i dont know.. it had the best picture in the store bar none. almost like i could reach into the screen, nothing we've seen yet.

Was it their new Laser TV? First time researching it. Seems interesting and may come out much sooner and more wallet friendly than OLED. Something that ties the gap maybe?
Mitsubishi TV - 65" Laser TV: Model L65-A90

What is Laser-TV?

Edit:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-mitsub.html

Wow it supports 3d too, all you need are glasses and its your personal IMAX
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #71 of 98
I saw images on the net where a laser and 9th Gen. Pioneer Plasma were compared. Judging by the images provided the laser colours looked much more realistic compared to the Pioneer. Power usage notwithstanding, in every other case though the Pioneer came up on top.
I hope that Pioneer still release this years 10th Gen. product. They promised guaranteed CRT type contrast and 60% reduction in power usage. They would also be around 1cm thick. In any case even if they don't I hope their agreement with Panasonic would see them get the technology.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #73 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh dear.

Keep your pants on, they were well shot and they made sure of it.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #75 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're viewing it on what kind of display? Totally pointless comparing photos. You need to go see them in the flesh.

Not really, provided the photos shot shared the exact same technique and procedure, one can get a 'taste'. They spoke quite elegantly about their findings and this convinced me that the new TV is at the very least something to consider. Now, if I was going to purchase one, I would most definitely compare them "in the flesh."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back