Pioneer bad news. What's this world coming to?
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #31 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How old is your LCD? What brand?

The new models (take a look at the Sony XBR8 or XBR9's) show just how much LCD has improved, especially in terms of contrast.

I would not have considered an LCD a year and a half ago.

Sony Bravia V series 3rd generation .. 40 inch.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #32 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony Bravia V series 3rd generation .. 40 inch.

Didn't like those Sony's at all. Unless you throw faultless source material at them (which let's face it, isn't the norm), they're pretty horrible. No doubt reviewers give them the thumbs up due to knock me sideways HD quality.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #33 of 98
I have always thought the pioneers had the best picture.
I am considering picking up a 50 inch elite pro111fd very shortly before inventory dries up.
Prices are down pretty much right now on the 50 inch elites,60inch are still
up there,I am sure they will also drop once stores clearence them out.

I am on the fence of waiting for prices to drop even further,or just pull the trigger now, & not get shut out of being able to get one at all.

I always preffered Plasma over LCD,I have a 42 panny in my bedroom.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 98
Quote:

I am on the fence of waiting for prices to drop even further,or just pull the trigger now, & not get shut out of being able to get one at all.

I'd buy one ASAP. You'll kick yourself trying to save a hundred bucks, instead they sell out then you have to buy lesser quality Panasonic. Perhaps next gen Panasonic Pro will have Pioneer tech, but maybe not.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #35 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it?

We've been hearing that for what, 5 or 6 years now?

No, you're thinking of SED which seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth. I have a feeling OLED will suffer the same fate. Right now, it is extremely expensive and I think the biggest screen available for sale at this point is 14". Manufacturing costs are going to have to come way down before it is widely accepted, but plasma and LCD already have such a strong foothold it is going to be hard for any new technology to make an impact.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #36 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I am on the fence of waiting for prices to drop even further,or just pull the trigger now, & not get shut out of being able to get one at all.

That's called being "on the hairy edge"
eek.gif

Jes' dew eet!
evil_smiley.gif

Life is too short, and can get cut even shorter at any time (this is supposed to be supportive, not gloomy, BTW)

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #37 of 98
I have been gone from the AVS Forum for a while, so can someone tell me is Pioneer still releasing the upcoming 10G in tandem with Panasonic? If not, are they planning to dribble their 9G inventory until 2010 or are they going to keep making the 9G til 2010? The difference between the two options is I fear that Pioneer will tune down their quality on new sets since their division is so unprofitable. I'm thinking of picking up another set over summer.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #38 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you're thinking of SED which seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth. I have a feeling OLED will suffer the same fate. Right now, it is extremely expensive and I think the biggest screen available for sale at this point is 14". Manufacturing costs are going to have to come way down before it is widely accepted, but plasma and LCD already have such a strong foothold it is going to be hard for any new technology to make an impact.

Nope, I didn't confuse OLED with SED at all. SED has/had it's own issues, including some type of patent lawsuit I believe.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #39 of 98
I currently am auditioning a Sony XBR8, Samsung a950 against my Pioneer 110FD (last years model) and can honestly say the Pioneer trumps the others in every regard. The video processing of the Pioneer holds its own against the likes of DVDO and Geffen. Color accuracy and gray scale simply can't compete with the Pioneer.

I for one am sad to hear again for the third time in the past few years that Pioneer is leaving the plasma market. They make a fantastic product.

I do not think it is the fault of Pioneer but rather the stigma of plasma in general which has been tarnished by early sets and cheap current models that are prone to burn in and image retention.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #40 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently am auditioning a Sony XBR8, Samsung a950 against my Pioneer 110FD (last years model) and can honestly say the Pioneer trumps the others in every regard. The video processing of the Pioneer holds its own against the likes of DVDO and Geffen. Color accuracy and gray scale simply can't compete with the Pioneer.

I for one am sad to hear again for the third time in the past few years that Pioneer is leaving the plasma market. They make a fantastic product.

I do not think it is the fault of Pioneer but rather the stigma of plasma in general which has been tarnished by early sets and cheap current models that are prone to burn in and image retention.

Couldn't agree more.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been gone from the AVS Forum for a while, so can someone tell me is Pioneer still releasing the upcoming 10G in tandem with Panasonic? If not, are they planning to dribble their 9G inventory until 2010 or are they going to keep making the 9G til 2010? The difference between the two options is I fear that Pioneer will tune down their quality on new sets since their division is so unprofitable. I'm thinking of picking up another set over summer.

Jusy is still out on the 10th gens for now, last I heard anyway. I hope they do put it out, I'll be one of the first in line...as the 9th gens are already an amazing set as it is.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #42 of 98
The Panasonic TH-42PZ80U is probably the best tv for the money now though. Pioneer it is not quite but 480hz capable with hdmi and vga input for around $1000? Hard to beat.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys seem to know your TVs. If my budget is $400 and I want a TV around 22" (I will go a little bigger or a little smaller) that's at least 720p and doesn't make standard definition cable TV look absolutely horrid, what would you recommend? I'll be using the HD for gaming and possibly watching Blu-Rays with my PS3 (all TV will be in standard definition, which is why I need something that won't make it look like complete poo). I'll probably just be hooking it up to some computer speakers because companies seem to be using crappier speakers nowadays, so sound isn't really that much of an issue.

Reliability is important as well as all the technical jib-jab.

EDIT: Budget can be stretched to $500 if necessary. Or possibly $600, but I honestly don't really feel comfortable going that high.

Can anyone help me?

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #44 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Panasonic TH-42PZ80U is probably the best tv for the money now though. Pioneer it is not quite but 480hz capable with hdmi and vga input for around $1000? Hard to beat.

480hz?
Had a quick look on 37" plasma 720p Panasonics, crazy price £450
confused_face.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #45 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd buy one ASAP. You'll kick yourself trying to save a hundred bucks, instead they sell out then you have to buy lesser quality Panasonic. Perhaps next gen Panasonic Pro will have Pioneer tech, but maybe not.

Well I am no longer on the fence as I picked up a 50 elite PRO111fd its sitting in the box in my living room just got it home,picked up a pioneer BDP51 blueray player that was on sale as well plus a wall mount.
biggrin.gif

I was looking real hard at the 60 inch pro 151 ,& thinking about waiting to see how far they will drop but the price differance at this time is more then
$ 2.5k ,but didn't want to miss out on the availibilty of the 50 inch while I waited for that to happen especially how low the 50in is.

You never Know if the 60 drops low enough I may pick one up as well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back