Pioneer bad news. What's this world coming to?
Feb 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this coming....they just cant compete with samsung and also, cheaper brand tv's. I was at BB the other day and was AMAZED at how many people were buying Dynex TVs. Then saw in the paper it was a 42" for 599$.

Race to the bottom, just like stereo audio in the early 80s.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The future is OLED.

Relatively new.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Europe gets glimpse of HD future- [size=x-small]U-HDTV has a screen resolution of 7680 x 4320 pixels - approximately sixteen times that of normal HDTV. [/size]

I'm waiting for the entertainment module. All this technology rigged to a movable frame seat using movement technology that puts you in the movie.

Had the same thing happen when I bought a 52" NEC back in 90. The next year, NEC gets out of the home CRT business. Got ten years from it.

I've had a 65" CRT Elite for 9 years and has served flawlessly. I was going to replace mine next year because it only does 1080i but I guess I will re-tube/calibrate and see what the next few years bring.

The Kuro has the best picture (black/color saturation) out there for a non-projector unit. That 60" Kuro does look fantastic with blu-ray though. (sigh)

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 98
Actually, Xerox invented the OLED technology in 2000 in their Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, CA (worked for them for 17 years), but they were in financial meltdown at the time and sold the technology, as the did with most of their great invention (like a little thing called "the mouse").

They did a presentation for us with a 2" X 2" B & W screen.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 98
Quote:

The future is OLED.

Yep. Everyone is starting to dump Plasma. It's kind of sad, because Kuro's are AMAZING, but from what I've read about OLED it sounds sweeeet
beyersmile.png

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #21 of 98
Only time will tell. Sony's 11" OLED tv already costs almost half of a 60" Kuro ELITE :p So its probably going to start off small and expensive as hell for quite a few years yet unless they figure out how to produce them more efficiently. Too bad SED ran into so many problems, would have been a nice candidate to replace plasma at least.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 98
You guys seem to know your TVs. If my budget is $400 and I want a TV around 22" (I will go a little bigger or a little smaller) that's at least 720p and doesn't make standard definition cable TV look absolutely horrid, what would you recommend? I'll be using the HD for gaming with my PS3.

Reliability is important as well as all the technical jib-jab.

EDIT: Budget can be stretched to $500 if necessary.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it?

We've been hearing that for what, 5 or 6 years now?

Patience, some technology takes time to become economically feasible to market and sell.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #25 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah most people don't care or able to spot higher quality picture. Put on a Samsung on Dynamic and they go "ooooo that's a nice picture"

A quality LCD can be good, especially if you have HD content and only watch HD- but close to a Pioneer, also when it comes to SD? No. But put on a tweaked LCD next to a Pioneer most people wouldn't be able to tell, but I would. LCD & Plasma owner here.

x2

Pioneer Kuro here....it replaced a current Samsung LCD which I was never happy with at all.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #26 of 98
Quote:

Patience, some technology takes time to become economically feasible to market and sell.

I certainly agree with that, but it seems OLED has made much less progress than would normally be expected.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #27 of 98
I have an LCD and its sucks..the contrast is bluntly quantized...whereas on Pioneer Plasma ..its so smooth...so dynamic.

i think LCD is killing the video industry unless someone vastly improvises it.

how about OLED though? ..do they have a much better contrast?

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #28 of 98
OLED apparently makes plasma in general look bad in comparison.

And I think if they can sell a DAP with a 3" OLED screen for $300, they could at least cut the cost of an 11" OLED TV down to about $1000. I think they're only ridiculously expensive because they're "new" and "special" and companies want more money because of it.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an LCD and its sucks..the contrast is bluntly quantized...whereas on Pioneer Plasma ..its so smooth...so dynamic.

i think LCD is killing the video industry unless someone vastly improvises it.

How old is your LCD? What brand?

The new models (take a look at the Sony XBR8 or XBR9's) show just how much LCD has improved, especially in terms of contrast.

I would not have considered an LCD a year and a half ago.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 98
Quote:

The new models (take a look at the Sony XBR8 or XBR9's) show just how much LCD has improved, especially in terms of contrast.

I agree with that, the Samsung LCD was not that far behind the Pioneer plasma, if you're not uber critical. More than acceptable. Black levels were good too.

It's just that last 10-20% better, you're paying more but that 80% Samsung wasen't uggh turn it off dire- it is vile in dynamic mode though, if for example if Dynamic was the best you could get the best picture quality...but it's not.

No different to people buying Sennheiser HD-650 over PX200, the PX200 is pretty good, but quite a bit of difference in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back