Pioneer bad news. What's this world coming to?
Feb 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 98
Yeah their TVs are great but they can't market them for $%&!

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 98
This is so disappointing!!
frown.gif

I currently own a Pioneer Elite 1130HD 50" plasma, and it has been an absolutely fantastic set.

I was planning on upgrading to the latest Pioneer plasma in a couple of years. Now I don't know what I'll do.

I don't see myself getting an LCD unless they *really* improve LED backlighting technology.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 98
Aquos makes an excellent LCD in large format.

Of course, if cost is no object, as with the Pioneer Elite series, the Sony Bravia line is miles above most other brands.

What did Pioneer do wrong as far as marketing is concern?

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did Pioneer do wrong as far as marketing is concern?

IMO, and it's just an opinion, they were priced too high. For the average joe, you could get a very good picture from an LCD or another technology at a substantially lower price. Now you have Vizio's in every Costco at pretty low prices. That's hard to compete with.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 98
Quote:

For the average joe, you could get a very good picture from an LCD or another technology at a substantially lower price. Now you have Vizio's in every Costco at pretty low prices.

Yeah most people don't care or able to spot higher quality picture. Put on a Samsung on Dynamic and they go "ooooo that's a nice picture"

A quality LCD can be good, especially if you have HD content and only watch HD- but close to a Pioneer, also when it comes to SD? No. But put on a tweaked LCD next to a Pioneer most people wouldn't be able to tell, but I would. LCD & Plasma owner here.

Uk price for 5090 is £1800 which isn't that bad really, you could buy a Samsung for what £1100? I paid £2100 for my 5090. Had a Samsung 556 prior to Pioneer and glad the last time I saw the Samsung was on a back of a truck moving away.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 98
I saw this coming....they just cant compete with samsung and also, cheaper brand tv's. I was at BB the other day and was AMAZED at how many people were buying Dynex TVs. Then saw in the paper it was a 42" for 599$.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 98
Pioneer had awesome plasmas, have a 60" Kuro ELITE in our house. I think the reason why they are quitting is plasmas just aren't that popular anymore vs LCD so they got out of plasmas. They tried to get into the LCD market with buying screens from Sharp but I don't think it ever took off and no one had ever heard of them in the LCD market.

As for Sony and Samsung, I dislike their LCDs mostly because I'm sensitive to input lag (game controller, mouse lag). Samsung makes all of Sony's LCD panels which is based off S-PVA tech. When tested vs a CRT the input lag is between 30-60ms which I can feel with controllers and mice. Normal people can't feel input lag 45ms and lower so a lot of people aren't affected. Sadly, I'm more sensitive to it than others. I own LGs, Panasonic LCDs because they use some form of IPS and have more accurate color reproduction. But like someone said, the average consumer doesn't know and doesn't care
tongue.gif

Oh and Sharp screens aren't all that great anymore either. They have been plagued by banding problems produced by their factories for over 3 years now. You would think they would have fixed it by now but I still hear people complaining about it, some having to return their tvs some 5 times just to get a refund at the end because all 5 had banding.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 98
Thats too bad! Pioneer TV's are (or was) highly regarded..

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 98
yep, the Kuro ELITE we have is the best tv I have ever seen. Had some friends come over for bluray and they said its the best they have ever seen as well. They wanted to move in and live in my living room
tongue.gif
Sad day indeed though, would be nice to have Pioneer around as an option for the future but alas, it wasn't to be. Be nice if they sold off their plasma division to Panasonic since Panny is still doing plasmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back