Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Aug 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #76 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would there be a beat up, looks like it's been through the mill, fully pimped out desktop out there that's not getting any use that is just dying for a new home?

Sorry, those are the ones we use for loaners to reviewers, meets, and me when I travel (in order of good shape to bad).
frown.gif
At least I get the Wadia.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #77 of 144
I'd like to see some high-end stuff with specs centered more around low impedance headphones. Most of the top headphones are now low impedance. There's the Edition 9, GS1000, DX1000, W5000, AH-D5000, etc. None of them are high-z, which, from what I've heard, is the style of headphone that works best with your amps. It'd even be great if you could tune amps for specific headphones. An Edition 9-specific amp, a GS1000-specific amp, etc. If you used tubes, you could choose by ear the best tubes for a particular set of headphones. If the amp is solid-state, you could choose the spec that objectively does the best job with the load that a particular headphone offers.

I would also love to see options for higher-end DACs, and some way of connecting it to a computer that doesn't induce a lot of jitter like USB, and that allows for 24/96 transfer, so that one could use his computer as a transport without degraded sound quality. Perhaps something like Empirical Audio's modified Transit with I2S output, but built into the amp/DAC. I don't know if PCI would make for better performance than USB, but if so then I'd be happy to connect the DAC to my computer with that method. If I'm paying thousands of dollars for good sound quality, then I'm certainly willing to endure a little inconvenience, such as having to use a PCI output instead of a USB or needing to install software on my computer, or even needing to change my music server, to get it.

By the way, I love your crossfeed and think further developing that would be a great investment. I heard my Edition 9 with a maxed out 2007 Home a few weeks ago, and it sounded great with the crossfeed and the first brightness filter turned on.

Finally, I'd love to see a new, more intelligent standard for connecting balanced headphones to amps; perhaps a type of plug that can also connect to standard 1/4" jacks. Maybe you could add a 4th conductor to a 1/4" plug, and make it a little longer so that the last conductor sticks out when it's plugged into a standard 1/4" jack. The two ground channels could be merged until the plug is inserted into a balanced jack, which is a bit deeper than the standard unbalanced jack. The balanced jack could actuate a switch in the plug that would separate the two ground channels. All in all, it would be more convenient because headphones could be used both balanced and unbalanced without an adaptor, and it would take up less internal space; and it might even be cheaper. If there's no interest in this, an option for a 4-pin XLR jack would be nice. This could save space in the balanced desktop (and maybe make room for a brightness filter?).

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #79 of 144
It has been 5.5 years....and I am almost at 1500 posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway...I remember that my very FIRST post was one where Tyll was taking name suggestions for a new MP3 player. I suggested they call it the WATTermelon.

It has been 5.5 years and still no MP3 player....what gives
wink.gif

Seriously though, most of my music is in Apple DRM so that would be a problem...however, if iTunes continues to eliminate DRM (ala EMI) a Headroom AAC player could be good.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #80 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been 5.5 years and still no MP3 player....what gives
wink.gif

Money, money, money, money ..........money.

That and the fact that I keep thinking someone will do it well before we could pull it off. The Squeezeboxes are pretty cool at home. and the new UMPCs show promise on the road.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #82 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see some high-end stuff with specs centered more around low impedance headphones. Most of the top headphones are now low impedance. There's the Edition 9, GS1000, DX1000, W5000, AH-D5000, etc. None of them are high-z, which, from what I've heard, is the style of headphone that works best with your amps.

That changed dramatically with the discrete output stage on all the amp modules (save the airhead/bithead) from April '06. In terms of drive capability into low impedance headphones, the present output stage is up there with the best of them.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #83 of 144
"Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread."

Something that sounds as good as this:

xa200.jpg

...but a bit smaller and lower priced!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #85 of 144
Well I know you mostly deal in electronics but hey pie in the sky right?

I want someone who will put Sennheiser cable sockets on other headphones such as AKG, Grado, Beyer, Ultrasone, etc. That way I could use the same damn cable on each headphone I own, or if I buy a new cable, use it on more than one headphone without major surgery. Heck even an RCA connector on the bottom of each ear piece would work. We'd just need to get all these headphone cable making kids to put the RCA connectors on the end.

Now come on, wouldn't THAT be nice!?!?!?!?!

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #87 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I know you mostly deal in electronics but hey pie in the sky right?

Heck even an RCA connector on the bottom of each ear piece would work.

Now come on, wouldn't THAT be nice!?!?!?!?!

Heck, I'm all for that. Never happen though ... well it almost happened, some of the Sennheisers a little while back had normal mini connectors. And doesn't the Ultrasones have headphones connectorised with mini plugs. Doesn't solve the balanced problem, though.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #88 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so who's eligible for these loaners and for how long? q:O)>

We try to respond to folks asking for gear for meets. Usually they keep them a week or two.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #89 of 144
First post here...
Like to say first that I love my Total Airhead, great sounding amp.
My susgestion's something I don't think I've seen yet: More battery power options. Not for travel, but for home. I've heard simple amps that sound way better than they should because they're not on the line or ground w/ other components. A rechargable pack, or regular dry cells. I notice that one of the new products has this option, but I want something that will work w/ most of your amps. That way if batteries aren't your thing, you can use an ac power source of some kind.
Also great for audiophiles w/ alot of equipment, but not alot of plugs.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #90 of 144
How about a Desktop amp with two headphone jacks - one with 0-ohm output impedance, the other with the European standard 120-ohm output?

Include multiple analog inputs with front-panel switching. Also, pre-amp output.

"Pie-in-the-sky"? Include a decent phono stage (preferably MM & MC) & a DAC as user-installable plug-in boards (to buy now or later).

Single-ended is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back