Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Mar 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #136 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A high-quality amp/dac that gets its power via firewire from my iBook. No muss, no fuss, no batteries. <$500.

That sounds like reinvention of the wheel to me, since the Apogee Duet already exists.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #137 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A change in the model of Maha 9V battery charger sold. The MH-C490F is available with a universal power supply for only a couple of bucks more (part #MH-C490F-DCW). This would, in my opinion, be a better charger to sell at HeadRoom, since international customers could use it as well.

Also, selling the charger as a kit with 4 batteries (think 2006 Micro Stack) for a discount would be nice--even nicer than buying the kit w/3 batteries directly from Maha Energy
smily_headphones1.gif

they may but I see no reason for HR to continue selling the Maha's once they sale out the inventory they already have.

I would like to see some kind of upgrade for the 2006 MicroStack.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #138 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no reason for HR to continue selling the Maha's once they sale out the inventory they already have.

I had thought of this too. There is still "new" inventory of the 2006 Micro Amps and DACs being sold, but who knows when the whole point of selling 9V batteries will be moot. I think they're a more practical power source than any wired-/soldered-in rechargeable battery packs used these days, though.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #140 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had thought of this too. There is still "new" inventory of the 2006 Micro Amps and DACs being sold, but who knows when the whole point of selling 9V batteries will be moot. I think they're a more practical power source than any wired-/soldered-in rechargeable battery packs used these days, though.

what is this new inventory you speak of?

I agree with you!

I myself would much rather see these new rechargeable battery packs in the from of 9 volts and AA's so we can change them out ourselves or watch one of these speciality batteries that we can change out ourselves disappear from our store shelves for a product that we may use for years to come. I'd like to see a new battery standard that we can use in a Micro Portable or iPod without needing special kits or sending off the electornics just to replace the battery.

as much as I would like to have one of the new all in one Micro Portables, I plan on keeping me 2006 MicroStack for the simple fact that I can change out the batteries so easily myself. this is a real plus for me!

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #141 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as I would like to have one of the new all in one Micro Portables, I plan on keeping me 2006 MicroStack for the simple fact that I can change out the batteries so easily myself. this is a real plus for me!

I think the 06 MicroStack has slightly better SQ too. Probably due to the fact that they're separate components.

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #142 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see a balanced Max Desktop, without the DAC if you can't fit that in or its power needs aren't feasible.

Hold on though...let's say you intended to use, for example, the Ultra Micro DAC with such an amp...
wouldn't that be a waste of the desktop amp's balanced feature since the DAC would offer only an unbalanced analog output?
I agree that an amp-only desktop balanced unit is a great idea...but I seems to me like HeadRoom would have to make a good DAC to go with it that offers Balanced analog outputs.

And yes I know that's what already exists, but the cirrus logic DAC in the Desktop Balanced Amp does not upconvert 16/48 to 24/196...

frown.gif

Or am I confused?

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #143 of 144
That's correct, the cirrus chip does not upsample. However that's probably not much of an issue being that most people spending the money on balanced setups will probably have 24-bit sources anyway. Upconverting doesn't really improve the SQ a lot but rather changes the overall warmth of the sound. As far as increasing the detail level or improving the dynamic range, you can't create something where there isn't substance to begin with. It's like an upconverting DVD player. Would you rather have a standard DVD upconverted so that it looks presentable on an HDTV or just start it out in HD with a blu-ray disc? One of the key reasons the Ultra Micro DAC upsamples is to dejitter the incoming digital data, and since it upsamples it to 192kHz it can do a more complete job of that. This isn't to say that the Ultra Micro doesn't sound better than the Micro DAC. It does sound better, but only incrementally. I firmly believe the Ultra Micro DAC is about the best sounding DAC for its size and price. However, technological wonder that it is it isn't a magical "turn-everything-into-an-SACD-sounding-source" DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back