Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #91 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about an "affordable" e-stat amplifiers, just so we can some more competition in this market.

Tyll seems to be avoiding all the comments regarding e-stats. I'm guessing that Stax hasn't been a big money maker for Headroom in the past.

I would like to see a desktop sized 'stat Amp with DAC that has a normal and a pro-bias Stax jack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a wheatfield ha1?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, yes.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #93 of 144
a tube-based balanced amp.
biggrin.gif

other than a B52 or custom single power, there is nothing else out there. lots of people are balanced now and lots of those people love the sweet sound of tubes. i think something in the ~$2500/$3000 region would be a big seller.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #94 of 144
How about switches on the amps (at least the high end ones) to invert phase/polarity for the headphones and the outputs.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #96 of 144
Put the input for the portable amps on the center, rather than on the side, so ALO dock cables will work with it. I ordered my dock cable and then find out it won't fit because the input is too far away!

(Actually, I knew it wouldn't fit before I ordered it, but since I'm upgrading my amp soon, I ordered it anyway.)

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #98 of 144
My wishlist:

1. Standalone crossfeed. Dr. Meier discontinued his, so if you want crossfeed these days, you have to DIY or buy an amp with built-in crossfeed. That severely limits its use, and I know you put a lot into developing a crossfeed circuit. Make it available to everyone.

2. Impedance matching device. I think something like this was on the market a few years back, but is no longer available. Don't know if it would sell huge, but I'd buy one.

3. A source selector switch, or even a matrix. So many of us have multiple sources and amps, something that conveniently tied them all together would be welcome.

4. Standalone DAC with USB, Toslink and coax inputs. Upsampling would be great.

5. Phono stage. Vinyl is getting bigger and bigger, you should stay on top of the trends.

6. How about a laptop case? We all have laptops these days, so a bag with a specialized headphone compartment and room for an amp, DAC, iPod, etc. would be pretty cool.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #100 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the input for the portable amps on the center, rather than on the side, so ALO dock cables will work with it. I ordered my dock cable and then find out it won't fit because the input is too far away!

(Actually, I knew it wouldn't fit before I ordered it, but since I'm upgrading my amp soon, I ordered it anyway.)

I prefer the setup like it is already with the inputs to the left side. easily just a bit longer dock cable will remedy your issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wishlist:
3. A source selector switch, or even a matrix. So many of us have multiple sources and amps, something that conveniently tied them all together would be welcome.

4. Standalone DAC with USB, Toslink and coax inputs. Upsampling would be great.

5. Phono stage. Vinyl is getting bigger and bigger, you should stay on top of the trends.

HeadRoom was working on the MicroSwitch but they discontinued it for some reason.

have you now seen the two new MicroDAC's available? the MicroDAC and Ultra MicroDAC.

I could see the Phono stage on the upper end Home and Max lines but not the Micro line or even the Desktop line. I personally would not want it but I am one that is through with vinyl. enjoyed vinyl when it was me main format for collecting music but them days are over with for me. I would rather see other features talked about by Tyll for the Desktop Amp.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #101 of 144
Quote:

I prefer the setup like it is already with the inputs to the left side. easily just a bit longer dock cable will remedy your issue.

Well, I don't. And I certainly wouldn't want to spent potentially significantly extra for a custom dock cable. Even if I did get the custom cable, I'd then have a long-ass interconnect jutting out diagonally. It would be kind of annoying to put such a setup in my pocket or in a bag because the input is on the opposite side from the output and I'd be jamming side with the cable down because I would want the side with the volume control on top. This wouldn't be a problem if the input and outputs were next to each other.

Every other portable amp I know of has the input and output on the same side, HeadRoom needs to update their design too.

Here is a diagram for you, because I am bored:

Bitroom.gif

Now, which one of these would be easier to put in my pocket and take for a walk? Which one presents the lowest risk of damage to the cable?

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #103 of 144
Yes, that's why I said "portable amps". The Airhead and Bithead.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #104 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's why I said "portable amps". The Airhead and Bithead.

okay, the 2006 MicroStack and the new 2007 Portable MicroAmp are portable amps even though some consider them a bit too large to be pocket size. right now my mind is fixed on the 2007 Portable MicroAmp and new Micro line.

I agree with you then! I am hoping by a post somewhere in this HeadRoom Forum by Tyll or one of the other HeadRoom team that there is a gonna be a revision for the Bithead. at first I thought they were speaking of a new HR portable amp between the Micro line and Mobile line but I am thinking it's a revision for the Bithead. I hope it will make a good base for the iPod unlike other smaller portable amps that seem awkward with the iPod and other DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back