Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,318 of 37,621
Quote:
What I usually go around with

and the new kid when I don't wanna keep something as huge on my head.

I really need a new iDevice LOD though. Stupid FiiO L9 lost the left channel after using it for two whole weeks. Thought something designed for portable use would've been sturdier.

nice to see someone else using the spirit one! looking for a new LOD? check out some of these, there are some great offers from around 35 USD and up :) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=line+out+dock&_pgn=2&_skc=200&rt=nc

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #3,320 of 37,621
Quote:
Hey rudi0504, LETS RACE!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cfBF7uVgbqE

Great looking rig - im sure it sounds so good, but i just gotta say ALL that space between the components irks me. Get some low profile velcro, dual lock or something :p

Those guys gotta be snug, not spread out. You'll reduce the thickness by about half an inch. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,322 of 37,621
Quote:
I think I'm now enough satisfied from my portable rig to stop my research
smily_headphones1.gif
Although Mimouille tries to corrupt me with their amazing rigs...

Rockboxed Sansa FuzeV2 µSD 64go > diyLOD with Elna caps & µUSB female > Pico Slim > EarSonics EM4

FuzeV2 : almost 25 hours baterrylife, sounds absolutely not great alone, due to an average amp section (bad to my ears, but I can understand those who like it). Rockbox is just the best OS ever. Very fast, a lot of options, usefull and free.
Pico Slim : Cornerstone of the rig, it gives all the needs of amplification of my lovely EM4. Extension, impact, volume, details, this is the panacea and the only condition to use a Fuze.
diyLOD : thanks to ClieOS for his tutorial, very usefull, I go further in adding an µUSB female to charge up with the same charger as my phone and all of it during while playback
smily_headphones1.gif
What else ?

Sorry for the quality of the photo, my passion for photography is not as important as audio
biggrin.gif

thats one great portable rig. great player, good ui, great amp (always wanted to compare the slim to my shadow)

most rigs i dont look twice but that is one very well put together rig

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3,324 of 37,621
Is it me or there is not DAP in there ? Great rig otherwise...is that a Merlin ?

Oh I had it hooked up to the pc, otherwise it's being used with a iPod. Thanks, yup they are the Merlins

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,325 of 37,621
Newbie here, do not know what head-fiers mean by portable rigs.
People with gigantic phones and rigs, do you really carry them whereever you go... local coffee shops... and stuff? *just curious

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,326 of 37,621
Quote:
Newbie here, do not know what head-fiers mean by portable rigs.
People with gigantic phones and rigs, do you really carry them whereever you go... local coffee shops... and stuff? *just curious

Surprisingly many Head-Fier's do carry huge rigs around. It's more "trans-portable". It's a point of contention among members whether or not they are truly practical or not but as with most things, you gotta do what makes you happy so if that's what does it for those with huge rigs, then so be it. I myself prefer compact rigs where applicable, though I am not opposed to some stacks. They make a nice performance increase but at a certain point I feel people need to try to find new solutions instead of adding another device to a stack, but then again it's not as easy as just saying it.

EDIT: 
Not saying people arent getting a performance increase, or that they shouldn't use a rig if that's what they like, I just find for myself that if something gets inconvenient I will use it less and find an alternative with comparable performance in a better form factor. At least for a portable setup. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,327 of 37,621
If you can lift it on your own and you don't need to plug it into a wall socket to switch it on, then yes it's portable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back