Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #467 of 37,652
Here's my latest edition. It's actually a project in progress, decent amp being the next piece of this puzzle. (take advantage of CK4 line out)

I bring to you!! Colorfly CK4 / T-Peos H-100 Hybrid

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #468 of 37,652
Quote:
Here's my latest edition. It's actually a project in progress, decent amp being the next piece of this puzzle. (take advantage of CK4 line out)
I bring to you!! Colorfly CK4 / T-Peos H-100 Hybrid

Are there any physical buttons?

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #470 of 37,652
Are there any physical buttons?

Yes, there are indeed, actually... the whole player is controlled by physical buttons. (not touch screen) That's just one big duck off screen for video playback, which is pointless to me really but the sound...man the sound! It's all about the internal amp and Cirrus Logic's CS4398 DAC inside. (Same DAC used in Colorfly C4) they do not sound the same though (just cover myself :wink:)

This model is CK4+ (which I keep forgetting) has a different button layout to the original.

CK4+ Run around using these buttons.

Should hear it Achmedisdead, it's like :ksc75smile: Just makes me grin from ear to ear.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #472 of 37,652
Quote:
Yes, there are indeed, actually... the whole player is controlled by physical buttons. (not touch screen) That's just one big duck off screen for video playback, which is pointless to me really but the sound...man the sound! It's all about the internal amp and Cirrus Logic's CS4398 DAC inside. (Same DAC used in Colorfly C4) they do not sound the same though (just cover myself
wink.gif
)
This model is CK4+ (which I keep forgetting) has a different button layout to the original.
CK4+ Run around using these buttons.

Should hear it Achmedisdead, it's like
ksc75smile.gif
Just makes me grin from ear to ear.

So we have another example of a Cirrus Logic DAC producing excellent sound...what will the Wolfson lovers think of you now? 
wink_face.gif
 I do like the physical design of the unit....very clean. How big is the screen?

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #473 of 37,652
So we have another example of a Cirrus Logic DAC producing excellent sound...what will the Wolfson lovers think of you now? :wink_face:  I do like the physical design of the unit....very clean. How big is the screen?

I'll stay well away from the Wolfson clan thank you. There's enough brand name wars I need to keep tabs on as it is. :wink:

Screen size is: 4.3 inches

It's about ipod touch footprint (photo's make it look confusing alone) however a touch thicker.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #474 of 37,652
Quote:
I'll stay well away from the Wolfson clan thank you. There's enough brand name wars I need to keep tabs on as it is.
wink.gif

Screen size is: 4.3 inches
It's about ipod touch footprint (photo's make it look confusing alone) however a touch thicker.

Well, I look forward to your comprehensive upcoming  review! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #475 of 37,652

Quote:

It will require a new LOD design...Great another new cable...
eek.gif

LODs with built-in DACs... I can only imagine how expense the high-end cables will be!

Quote:
It might be worthwhile to try hooking up the headphone out of the iphone 5 to the amp. The 30 pin adapter has its own DAC and is likely not as good as the one in the iphone. Of course, you'd then be going through the iphone amp but perhaps that might be better than using the adapter DAC. anyway, it's free to try and it might be interesting to note the difference (if any) in sound.

and then you might be able to have a more compact setup.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try double amping.
But I must say, the adapter-DAC is surprisingly good for a $30 plastic bit.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #477 of 37,652
My first ranked portable set up :

Alo Rx 3 B + Alo class tactical design + iPhone 4 S + LCD 2 rev 2 right angle

My Second ranked portable set up :

The Intruder + fostex hp p 1 + iPhone 4 S + LCD 2 rev 2 right Angle

Cable : lod to USB van den Hul tone arm cable in red and white sleeving
Mini to Mini 4 strand 18 awg solid core silver cable ex Singapore
with oyaide rhodium Angle jack and oyaide gold straight jack
LCD 2 cable van den Hul tone arm cable

4178b6004eef0637e386df2475d5aee0_zpse3faae77.jpg

8d5d75109e74312a6d5fc744fbde7657_zps62a95eb9.jpg

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #478 of 37,652
Quote:
My first ranked portable set up :
Alo Rx 3 B + Alo class tactical design + iPhone 4 S + LCD 2 rev 2 right angle
My Second ranked portable set up :
The Intruder + fostex hp p 1 + iPhone 4 S + LCD 2 rev 2 right Angle
Cable : lod to USB van den Hul tone arm cable in red and white sleeving
Mini to Mini 4 strand 18 awg solid core silver cable ex Singapore
with oyaide rhodium Angle jack and oyaide gold straight jack
LCD 2 cable van den Hul tone arm cable

4178b6004eef0637e386df2475d5aee0_zpse3faae77.jpg

Rudi, what does right angle mean for LCD 2 ? Always a pleasure to see your rigs!

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #480 of 37,652
I've heard the LCD-2 with the CLAS and an ALO amp (can't recall which one). It sounds wonderful.

A portable system is simply one you carry around with you, not necessarily a system you listen to in public spaces or while on foot.

Almost the only place I listen to my system is while sitting at desks, but I have to move between offices often enough that there's no point to having a desktop system. So I have a little suitcase with all my portable kit; the whole assembly (three amps, two custom IEMs, one iPod, and a partridge in a pear tree) takes up less space than one of my desktop headphone amps, and I carry it around in my office bag. Setup and teardown takes less than a minute when nothing's been recharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back