Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Oct 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #76 of 37,643
Quote:
Rig spotted at the Tokyo Headphone Festival today
biggrin.gif

(the ipod usb/lod is hanging out because he had just been testing another unit)-(also usually the ipod would also be strapped in.)

Wow, not portable by all means..
blink.gif
lol

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #77 of 37,643
Quote:
Hi guys,

Sharing some pics and updates of my rigs.:) sorry for the lousy pics. i love new threads..woohoo!:) can't wait to see other awesome rigs from u guys!:D keep posting!

Ordnance .25 amp > Fonebone LOD (highly recommended fellow Headfi!) > hippo sapphire cables with fi10s (DIY metallic blue paint job)

Really like the paint job! 

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #80 of 37,643
Strictly speaking not my portable portable rig (for that I just use an iPhone with Etymotics MC3 headset). This rig is what I use in hotel rooms when I travel for work or holliday (over 100 nights a year). A sandwich with a SR71-B amp in the center, a 240GB hdd iPod Classic with 320kb aac music on one side and a 256GB ssd Whipmod with alac music on the other side feeding JH13 custom iems. All cables are the upcoming TWag V3 from Whiplash and this rig sounds awesome. To me it is as good as a HM801 or C4 with hires files.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #81 of 37,643
Quote:
Strictly speaking not my portable portable rig (for that I just use an iPhone with Etymotics MC3 headset). This rig is what I use in hotel rooms when I travel for work or holliday (over 100 nights a year). A sandwich with a SR71-B amp in the center, a 240GB hdd iPod Classic with 320kb aac music on one side and a 256GB ssd Whipmod with alac music on the other side feeding JH13 custom iems. All cables are the upcoming TWag V3 from Whiplash and this rig sounds awesome. To me it is as good as a HM801 or C4 with hires files.

I'm drooling for that storage - it's just what I need. Did you do the storage mods yourself?

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #82 of 37,643
I think it's finally time to post my portable setup here. I've been a long time HeadFi reader with postings smattered here and there and the inspiration and longing this community creates is amazing. I've seen some awesome rigs lately and here's mine.

WARNING: Images are DRIPPING with clarity - fullview highly recommended 
blink.gif

Source: iPod Classic 6th Generation 160GB
Amp/Dac: Fiio e17
LOD: Fiio L9
Cans: Denon AH-D2000 (Shortened Cable, Reterminated with R/A Switchcraft 3.5mm, and sewn at the y-split to shorten the length and reduce tangles)
Portable Bluetooth Speaker: Braven 650 (supports APT-X codec) 
iPod LineOut Dongle: Creative BT-D5 (supports APT-X codec)
 ​
The Beyerdynamic DT 770's are my cousin's, not mine, but they wanted some photo action too :wink:  He's running a iPod Classic 160gb, e11 and L9.
 ​
 ​
I carry the iPod and e17, along with a male-male 3.5mm and the bluetooth dongle in a handy leather carry case from an old Navman. Fit's in my pocket when i'm on the go. I'm supremely happy with all components of my rig. 

In case you aren't familiar with the Braven 650, it's like the Jawbone Jambox, only the sound quality between the two is like comparing LCD-2's with a pair of Beats. The Braven delivers incredible sound (for a portable bluetooth speaker). The sheer volume and clarity that come out of this thing seem to defy physics - it's a powerful little thing. 20 hours and charging functions for mobile devices too.  It's worth a look into guys and girls - we can't keep our lossless music all to ourselves ALL the time...

Just wanted to also thank CogsandGears for all help he's offered in the past, as well as others in various threads, who have steered me in the right direction :) This thread alone has been priceless.

Onwards with the gallery. More pictures to come.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #83 of 37,643
Quote:

I'm drooling for that storage - it's just what I need. Did you do the storage mods yourself?

No. The Classic I bought modded on eBay from China and Whiplash build my Whipmod with the ssd drive

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #85 of 37,643
Oct 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #88 of 37,643
Quote:
I'll have to look into upgrading to more storage very soon. Cheers nc8000

It's a very easy mod once you get the damn thing open! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #89 of 37,643
Nc8000, did you consider the JH16's? What was it about the JH13's that led you to them?

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #90 of 37,643
Yes I did consider the JH16 (although it had barely come to the market at that time, I have had my JH13 for nearly 3 years now) and later tried the universal demo which confirmed to me that the JH16 has too prominent a bottom end for my taste (my reference is ER4-S).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back