Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #20,941 of 37,646
Yes the DX90 is a beast with it's dual DACs and powerful amp section, but battery life is poor. The Plenue D is a real long runner, followed by the Sony NW* series DAPs with very good battery life. Btw. I modded my two iBasso DX50's with a Samsung S3 4400 mAh battery + 256 GB SD cards (soon replaced by 512 GB SD cards), now I get almost 23 hours non-stop playback, which is also very decent as a transport DAP for me, my portable DAC/AMPs only runs half or less than half of this.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #20,942 of 37,646
Yes the DX90 is a beast with it's dual DACs and powerful amp section, but battery life is poor. The Plenue D is a real long runner, followed by the Sony NW* series DAPs with very good battery life. Btw. I modded my two iBasso DX50's with a Samsung S3 4400 mAh battery + 256 GB SD cards (soon replaced by 512 GB SD cards), now I get almost 23 hours non-stop playback, which is also very decent as a transport DAP for me, my portable DAC/AMPs only runs half or less than half of this.

This is crazy sauce

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #20,944 of 37,646

Not fully related, but...

Had a great IEM testing session today, including the Mojo. These were among my favourites...but the amount of money on this table alone scares me.

I also learned a lot about my own preferences...and that they seem very hard to please.
This won't be the last session of this kind this week...so more to come.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #20,945 of 37,646
This is crazy sauce

Nah that is only beginners mode
biggrin.gif

I created much more nerdy stuff already:

It's a great hobby that audio stuff, get never boring
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #20,947 of 37,646

Not fully related, but...

Had a great IEM testing session today, including the Mojo. These were among my favourites...but the amount of money on this table alone scares me.

Shure KSE1500 + Chord Mojo = Heaven ?

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #20,948 of 37,646
Which iems are these?

From left to right:

Ocharaku Akzakura
Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered (demo)
Stagediver SD2
Ocharaku Sakura
Ocharaku Donguri (?)
Etymotic ER4s
Shure KSE1500
Etymotic ER4SR (not depicted)

AK100 (modded) + Mojo

Something some may consider an eccentric grouping of IEMs.

If you want to know the prices look them up...I am afraid to do add them up. 
frown.gif

Quote:

Shure KSE1500 + Chord Mojo = Heaven ?

rather...KSE1500 = almost heaven.

Did not try it with the Mojo, due to time constraints (left the store literally when they closed at 10pm). Also the KSE1500 has its own special amp, so i don't see a huge point in double 'dac'ing and 'amp'ing. I will be back there though soon.

In my time i had with the Mojo, it didn't 'add sound quality magic' (like some people seem to convey), rather did it mainly gives power to push some IEMs to perform somewhat better under some circumstances/songs.
From my first impressions, I will be keeping an eye out for a second hand one, but it won't be a top priority any more. My modded AK100 seems to do quite all right.

Also I was very very surprised as to how jaded I feel I have become. Of all the IEMs in this table, non were able to fully blow me off the chair (yes the KSE1500 were the most 'special', but did not instantaniously provoked a strong reaction. Even the UERR did not seem all that far ahead from my regular ER4s in terms of clarity and detail retrieval, although I remember being blown away by the UERM two years ago.
Perhaps my experience (not collection) of IEMs has grown or the ER4s is indeed quite special in the audio world in its treble extention and depiction of detail.

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #20,949 of 37,646

Did not try it with the Mojo, due to time constraints (left the store literally when they closed at 10pm). Also the KSE1500 has its own special amp, so i don't see a huge point in double 'dac'ing and 'amp'ing. I will be back there though soon.

In my time i had with the Mojo, it didn't 'add sound quality magic' (like some people seem to convey), rather did it mainly gives power to push some IEMs to perform somewhat better under some circumstances/songs.
From my first impressions, I will be keeping an eye out for a second hand one, but it won't be a top priority any more. My modded AK100 seems to do quite all right.

Also I was very very surprised as to how jaded I feel I have become. Of all the IEMs in this table, non were able to fully blow me off the chair (yes the KSE1500 were the most 'special', but did not instantaniously provoked a strong reaction. Even the UERR did not seem all that far ahead from my regular ER4s in terms of clarity and detail retrieval, although I remember being blown away by the UERM two years ago.
Perhaps my experience (not collection) of IEMs has grown or the ER4s is indeed quite special in the audio world in its treble extention and depiction of detail.

How would you rate er4s against se846 /hd800/any other clarity and detailed oriented iem/ full size headphones

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #20,950 of 37,646
How would you rate er4s against se846 /hd800/any other clarity and detailed oriented iem/ full size headphones

I can try to address such questions in ER4-Thread. Please (re)post such questions there, as to not derail this thread even more. 

Thanks.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #20,952 of 37,646

there would be no double daccing or double amping in play...

set the mojo to line out mode and connect it by 3.5 to the analog input of the KSE1500 amp simple. Mojo dac to KSE amp to earphones. A few people have done it this way.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #20,953 of 37,646

there would be no double daccing or double amping in play...

set the mojo to line out mode and connect it by 3.5 to the analog input of the KSE1500 amp simple. Mojo dac to KSE amp to earphones. A few people have done it this way.

Did not know the Mojo had a mere DAC-use line out mode.
I apologise.

May try this next time and report back.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #20,954 of 37,646
Did not know the Mojo had a mere DAC-use line out mode.
I apologise.

May try this next time and report back.

It doesn't. The 'line-out' mode is merely a shortcut to 3V volume output. It doesn't have a traditional 'amp' either. It's alone in it's category, along with the other Chord DACs, and difficult to lump it with conventional tech and implementations. The third post of the Mojo thread has gobs of information regarding this.

Edit:

TL;DR

Just think of the Mojo output like a variable line-out to feed headphones as well as external amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back