Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 9, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #19,400 of 37,643
  Do any of you get funny looks when you take your rigs out at work?  I know if I took out a double amped stack at work people would look at me funny.

About 2 years ago I bought a Sony Walkman DD33 cassette player. I have been collecting old metal demos from the 80's and 90's, mostly buying off Ebay, and then "ripped" them with the DD33 and put them up on rare demo blogs (no copyright issues since these are self released demos that are over 20 years old). The DD33 is considered to be one of the really good Sony Walkmans and I wanted something good but still relatively cheap for "ripping" cassettes.

One time I decided to try the Walkman when commuting to work.
I remember one kid, around 11 years old, who looked at the DD33 with big eyes when I took the cassette out and changed sides.

Must have been the first portable cassette player he ever saw. Well, perhaps the first ever cassette...

This is my set up for the day FiiO X7 -> Zen 1.0   I am all about earbuds these days :wink: that thread you linked is great, subbed a while back but havent had a chance to check it out as often these days. The Ting Z and Music Maker both look to be great finds.

But yeah, most of my portable listening is done via earbuds now. 90% via the monk and the other 10% with Zen 2, LZ A2 iem and Havi B3 Pro 1. 

I pulled out the Zen 1 today after a long hiatus just to give it another whirl and it sure didn't disappoint! But I am absolutely blown away by how well the monk scales with gear, its a perfect match for my X7. Cant wait to get the new medium power module for the X7 and unlock its full potential. 
ksc75smile.gif

Actually, Music Maker is the company (a rather small one) and MrZ Tomahawk and Ting are their two earbud models. They also have a few IEMs.

I prefer the Tomahawk to Monk. It is much more detailed and the soundstage is more 3D. It sounds like an improved version of Monk. But I have to agree that Monk does scale very well. I have tried my Tomahawk with my new Cayin C5 and they sort of sound the same, but with the Monk I do notice improvements in many areas.

I've just traded my Zen 2 for a pair of Zen 1. Never really appreciated the Zen 2 so then I might as well trade them to someone who might appreciate them better. And I might like Zen 1 better.

Other than that my favorite 3 earbuds are Blox TM7, Sony MDR-E252 (ancient Sony earbud released in 1982 or 1983, and in my ears the best Sony earbuds - better than the legendary E484) and Sennheiser MX980.

Well, I suppose I'm an earbud guy.

Just got my Monks today. It's been years since I've opted for earbuds. 
Do you have Monks? Are Zen much better sounding than Monks? Because I like the monks already : )

The Monks are the best bang for the buck in the earbud world every. They could easily be sold for $30-40. They might work as a "gateway drug" to get people who don't bother with earbuds to start digging them...

You should check out the Earbuds roundup thread.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #19,407 of 37,643
  Do any of you get funny looks when you take your rigs out at work?  I know if I took out a double amped stack at work people would look at me funny.

Now that you mention that I got a couple "What the Heck Is That" recently with this one
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #19,408 of 37,643

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #19,409 of 37,643
me too i've had weird looks for using a sony walkman (hi-res walkman).... lets see how they react wen i bring my upcoming MDR-Z7
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back