Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #18,586 of 37,711
For a man who usually carries around 8lbs of gear worth $10,000 to be happy with an IEM running off his phone... I believe neural syphilis might have a hand in a behavioral shift of this magnitude. :D

Wow

You should know man. The syphilitic in you recognized the symptoms in me!

Seriously. I got tired of hauling all those gears. It is a refreshing change to occasionally use the mobile phone. Besides, the Note 5 is seriously euphonic.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #18,587 of 37,711
Preaching to the choir, brother. I've been combating the urge to stack an amp to my Astell & Kern, just because I want to keep things light. It's not always easy, especially being on these forums. The need to have the best audio experience. I must remind myself, excellent is good enough. I don't need an amp. And I certainly don't need a Mojo, or a Chord. Keep it light, keep it simple. Put all the big stuff on your desktop setup at home.

Fight the good fight. :D

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #18,588 of 37,711
Preaching to the choir, brother. I've been combating the urge to stack an amp to my Astell & Kern, just because I want to keep things light. It's not always easy, especially being on these forums. The need to have the best audio experience. I must remind myself, excellent is good enough. I don't need an amp. And I certainly don't need a Mojo, or a Chord. Keep it light, keep it simple. Put all the big stuff on your desktop setup at home.

Fight the good fight.
biggrin.gif

You'll be ok with your AK120 and JH Angie......for a while. 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #18,589 of 37,711

Fight the good fight. :D

Fuel to the fire..... The new IEM version ALO Rx is magic with the Angie.... Just sayin'. :wink_face:

Oh, and so is the Mojo... :tongue_smile:

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #18,590 of 37,711
You'll be ok with your AK120 and JH Angie......for a while. :wink:  

Even my AK240 does not really drive my Angie well. U missing out a lot what Angie can deliver, which is a pity.
With the Mojo, it's totally a different level of refinement.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #18,593 of 37,711
Fuel to the fire..... The new IEM version ALO Rx is magic with the Angie.... Just sayin'. :wink_face:

Oh, and so is the Mojo... :tongue_smile:

What has helped keep me on the straight and narrow is that I refuse to get an amp without balanced capability, and those are expensive.

Angie sounds too good balanced. I can't go back.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #18,594 of 37,711
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #18,596 of 37,711
Even my AK240 does not really drive my Angie well. U missing out a lot what Angie can deliver, which is a pity.
With the Mojo, it's totally a different level of refinement.

i am pretty concerned why a very expensive player like the 240 cannot drive iems properly.

AK bad design or Angie bad design?

solution, cheap dap + pricey amp = angie at full potential? hmm.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #18,597 of 37,711
i am pretty concerned why a very expensive player like the 240 cannot drive iems properly.

The AK240 can drive the Angie just fine..... The Mojo is just better in SQ than the AK240.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #18,598 of 37,711
Originally Posted by x RELIC x /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

The AK240 can drive the Angie just fine..... The Mojo is just better in SQ than the AK240.

I have long said the best option is a two-piece brick, i.e. a dap with a true clean analog line out to external amp. You WANT to separate the circuits and power sources completely. The key is to get a custom case which will practically and functionally turn the 2 pieces into one piece. Also I think any amp design should allow end users to swap the op amps. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #18,599 of 37,711

This is the trap in which one finds themselves when they start stacking. They never again feel any DAP drives any headphone properly. And it's true, from a certain perspective. Everything, from IEMs to full-size cans sound better with a hefty amp.

I feel there's a big middle ground between under-powered and being driven to the absolute limits. The X3ii, the X5 Classic, and now my AK120ii, all power IEMs very, very well. Angie sounds amazing off the Astell&Kern.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #18,600 of 37,711
This is the trap in which one finds themselves when they start stacking. They never again feel any DAP drives any headphone properly. And it's true, from a certain perspective. Everything, from IEMs to full-size cans sound better with a hefty amp.

I feel there's a big middle ground between under-powered and being driven to the absolute limits. The X3ii, the X5 Classic, and now my AK120ii, all power IEMs very, very well. Angie sounds amazing off the Astell&Kern.

This completly depends on DAPs. Larger DAPs like 901 or Lotoo Paw Gold have much more power than the likes of AK. But they can be larger / heavier. And some people will want all in one solution at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back