Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 15, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #15,856 of 37,644
Haven't been in this thread for a long time, and my photography (and backdrop) skills suck, but - here we are:

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #15,857 of 37,644
Hey Duncan, can you give me a reading on your portable rig pairing of the fiio x5 & chord Hugo. I have a chord Hugo in shipment right now and aiming at getting the fiio x5 for pairing, really wanted the astell & kern ak120.have you compared the fiio x5 with chord Hugo against any other dap and if so which one? What are your cans being used with this pairing. Have you tried coaxial input versus toslink input and which is more preferred? Thanks in advance for any info or experience.:cool:

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #15,858 of 37,644
Hi catoval55...

I have only used Hugo with coax output of the Fiio, so a very one sided biased view, however - what I can say is that I have absolutely no concerns, and - unless the digital brigade tell me otherwise, then so far as I am concerned the 1's and 0's coming from the fiio digital out will be exactly the same as those coming from the AK120, AK240, Sony Z2 etc etc

Compared to other DAPs, nothing too recent I'm afraid, Sony X and Z series players, alongside an old rockboxed Toshiba gigabeat...

Compared to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, what I can say there is that the sound of he Hugo is much more analogous, organic, the Tab S sounds very 'digital' by comparison.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #15,863 of 37,644
Hey Duncan, can you give me a reading on your portable rig pairing of the fiio x5 & chord Hugo. I have a chord Hugo in shipment right now and aiming at getting the fiio x5 for pairing, really wanted the astell & kern ak120.have you compared the fiio x5 with chord Hugo against any other dap and if so which one? What are your cans being used with this pairing. Have you tried coaxial input versus toslink input and which is more preferred? Thanks in advance for any info or experience.
cool.gif

Hi @catoval55...

I have only used Hugo with coax output of the Fiio, so a very one sided biased view, however - what I can say is that I have absolutely no concerns, and - unless the digital brigade tell me otherwise, then so far as I am concerned the 1's and 0's coming from the fiio digital out will be exactly the same as those coming from the AK120, AK240, Sony Z2 etc etc

Compared to other DAPs, nothing too recent I'm afraid, Sony X and Z series players, alongside an old rockboxed Toshiba gigabeat...

Compared to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, what I can say there is that the sound of he Hugo is much more analogous, organic, the Tab S sounds very 'digital' by comparison.

I've been thinking about the Hugo also, and assume that with the Hugo functioning as the DAC, any DAP connected to it is merely a music transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back