Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #14,777 of 37,643
  @acain, excellent work on your DIY CIEM's. I bet you had a lots of fun from making those.

BTW, how do you compare your DIY CIEM with other OEM iems you own or owned in terms of sound?

It was a lot of fun, and a lot of trial and error. If I had to compare the sound would be close to the Shure SE315's but with more low end. My next DIY CIEM's will be 4 drivers per ear.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #14,779 of 37,643
Not my usual set-ups, but just wanted to share. 

1) IPod Nano -> Fiio E6 -> Noble 3C for my workouts

2) Sony NW-A17 -> A2P TUR-06 -> LCD XC

The ultra-portable setup is actually quite enjoyable...  I am double amping because I couldn't get the LOD to work on the Nano, but the overall SQ is acceptable given that this is basically for treadmills...

The TUR-06/LCD XC is an awesome combination, although it probably deserves a better source than the Sony.  Still waiting for ZX-2 or the next best thing from the AK line...

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #14,782 of 37,643
happening now...my fav sound would be ipod+clasdb+hugo..sound is cleaner..a slight more open..and overall sound is firmer.
Surprisingly..double amping the hugo (as suggested by SP3LLV3XIT) is not bad at all..but thats maybe bcos of the masskobo plays the most part. My test is about to find out how good the Hugo is to suit my taste. I think is not bad. But so far is not my best (compared to my other portable setup + iems/cans that i have)...The good news is...i start to like the sound of my hugo. Let see if some more days able change my mind.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #14,784 of 37,643
Look what I just found at my parents house. My old minidisc collection. :p And I know where my old Sony sport minidisc player is.

cc9a0825c6ba93724c5a8a9612472178.jpg

5d541ed72510c7835e7e79b660893b7d.jpg

-Sent from my Galaxy S4-

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #14,785 of 37,643

Ready for tomorrow's commute - 

HSA Studio 3rd Anniv
Lehmann Traveller Amp
Kimber Mini Cable from Russ Andrews
DT1350

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #14,786 of 37,643
  This is my first time posting here, everyone has a lot of nice rigs. Here is my current rig, Sony NWZ-S764 Walkman with Fiio Andes E07K connected with a solid silver DIY cable, and DIY CIEM's the CIEM's have Knowles BA's CI for lows and the ED for the highs.

Great stuff man. Even the cable looks mean. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #14,788 of 37,643
  happening now...my fav sound would be ipod+clasdb+hugo..sound is cleaner..a slight more open..and overall sound is firmer.
Surprisingly..double amping the hugo (as suggested by SP3LLV3XIT) is not bad at all..but thats maybe bcos of the masskobo plays the most part. My test is about to find out how good the Hugo is to suit my taste. I think is not bad. But so far is not my best (compared to my other portable setup + iems/cans that i have)...The good news is...i start to like the sound of my hugo. Let see if some more days able change my mind.

I would hope the Hugo would sound good with anything for how much it cost.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #14,789 of 37,643
I am a non believer of a good setup only good for certain genres of music. A good setup should be good for ALL genres, especially capable of handling the type of classical music (symphonies and orchestral work with many instrument blended) demanding for full spectrum of frequency. 

So, IMO, if a setup good only for certain genres then that setup is not that good at all. I don't listen to many genres except the classical and pops. TBH, the pops are really not that demanding for gears and they can sound just good on many daps/phones.

On the other hand, if your setup can handle the most demanding classical pieces with adequate 3D sound staging, dynamics, instrument spacing, speed, energy & sparkling treble, then you got a true winner. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back