Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #14,747 of 37,652
  I , on the hand didnt really like the fit of the Ex series (so 1k, 600, 700), much prefer the standard peanut shell iem

Yeah you got to find whatever the best for your ears in terms of comfy, especially for long hrs of use. Itching is a common discomfort from wearing the iems, also sweating in tropical climate. 

I come to appreciate the design of these stick-out housings, with the over-the-ear cables they make the shallow insertions possible for the tips.

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #14,749 of 37,652
  I would agree with shallow insertion being better for comfort though, i throughly despise the er4 series fit 

At first one would think these Sony engineers are crazy for designing something like this for the housing. But after you have experienced wearing the iems for a while and become adapted to it, then you start thinking the design actually makes sense. The strained diagonal ear hook provides a horizontal component clamping force which makes the shallow insertion possible without leaking sound, so long as the ear hook fits one's ear nicely.

Sorry for the nasty-looking housing. :)

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #14,751 of 37,652
or worse than water boarding, as another head-fi'er put it like that. LOL. That just tells you how personal it is when it comes to sound preference, or one man's trash is another man's' treasure.

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #14,753 of 37,652
That said, the iems (less cable) is just one of the components along the pipeline tho. The final sound product is by trial and error. One has to be able to identify whether a component has the potential for greatness. For example, my 1st amp ever bought, the Alo Rx Mk2, was lifeless (to me of course). I shook my head that piece could be sold for that price at that time. After I tried J3, Alo RX MK2 and 4A.i (all sold long time ago), I knew how hype could spread here at HF or one man's trash is another man's' treasure. Thru diy, I have found the greatness to my ears, because it allowed me to try things at my disposal. Am I the 1st head-fi'er who dared to send 2 volts to amp risking loss of both amp and iems? Yeah I was crazy. LOL. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #14,755 of 37,652
I like CL Duet + Fitears! (Tg334/Parterre)

q6vnJa.jpg

MQOVtC.jpg

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #14,759 of 37,652
This is my first time posting here, everyone has a lot of nice rigs. Here is my current rig, Sony NWZ-S764 Walkman with Fiio Andes E07K connected with a solid silver DIY cable, and DIY CIEM's the CIEM's have Knowles BA's CI for lows and the ED for the highs.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #14,760 of 37,652
  This is my first time posting here, everyone has a lot of nice rigs. Here is my current rig, Sony NWZ-S764 Walkman with Fiio Andes E07K connected with a solid silver DIY cable, and DIY CIEM's the CIEM's have Knowles BA's CI for lows and the ED for the highs.

DIY CIEMs? Tell me more please good sir. Are they entirely DIY? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back